Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 year old kitty with urinary issues

Quote Originally Posted by juxie View Post
    My 3 year old neutered male kitty, Jack has been to the Vet three times in the last month and a half for urinary tract issues. I first noticed him going to the litter box frequently, then peeing on anything and everything in the house- so we went to the Vet. He had a full exam, and was given a 10 day prescription for Amoxil and Oxazepam. We tried putting him on food the Vet recommended, but he wouldn't touch it. He normally eats Iams Multicat, and doesn't even look at anything else. He drinks lots of water as well.

For a few days after the meds were finished he seemed better, then the peeing everywhere started again. Back to the Vet for another exam, a complete urinalysis and a new prescription for Oxezapam and Baytril. Again, he seemed better for a few days, now hes back to peeing on the furniture and licking his privates again. What is going on here?

His urinalysis showed no evidence of crystals, his temperature was normal and the physical exam showed no abnormalities. I'm perplexed! ..and a little disheartened to have my furniture full of cat pee all the time. Is there something we could be missing, that the Vet wouldn't normally test for? This is SO frustrating for us, and Jack as well I am sure! Please help!
    you need to change to a food that is for urinary tract, this problems exists in males more then you realize, my cat has this disorder and my vet atributes it to the food he eats, for some reason males are plagued with this disorder more then females, but it is treatable, my cat ashes is urinating normally since i changed his food, but it took about 6 months

Quote Originally Posted by thesun898 View Post
    you need to change to a food that is for urinary tract, this problems exists in males more then you realize, my cat has this disorder and my vet atributes it to the food he eats, for some reason males are plagued with this disorder more then females, but it is treatable, my cat ashes is urinating normally since i changed his food, but it took about 6 months
    This thread is almost 2 months old and her original post already said her cat did not want to eat the special food the vet prescribed.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022