Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Happy but scared :) (New pictures addded Post #54)

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger's Mom View Post
    Yes, Pam, he is a Joisey boy through and through. I found him at the Animal Welfare Association in Voorhees yesterday, when I stopped on a whim while driving home from Animal Orphange on a totally unrelated matter (buying tickets to one of their fundraising events). He is 8 years old and was turned in by his family because of "conflicts with their other dogs." I have no idea what that could have been, he is unbelievably good.
    Joyce you may recall that is how I found Ripley - stopping in at a shelter for a completely different reason! That is amazing!

As someone who has always owned two dogs at a time, I can tell you that I do understand your concern when introducing dog #2. It is only natural and of course you and Ginger have been a duo for quite some time now. I feel that all will work out just fine. You were wise to select a dog that looks like those she searches out for play. I think in the long run Ginger will thank you for giving her a little brother. That's exactly what I did - gave Bella a little brother! Our stories are so similar. Please do keep posting lots of pictures and stories about your two.

Oh, and don't be surprised if he attempts to mount Ginger at some point. Ripley did that with Bella in his first 15 minutes in my house! She simply sat down.

Ginger isn't happy with me,
    That will change Joyce. It does hurt your heart though to think you upset her. But soon, when they are enjoying each others company, you will see how happy Ginger is.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Oh, and don't be surprised if he attempts to mount Ginger at some point. Ripley did that with Bella in his first 15 minutes in my house! She simply sat down.
    It's funny you should mention this, Pam. Ginger's favorite creatures in the world are small male dogs, but of course they all try to mount her. One of the first things I noticed when we took Ginger and Taz to the pen to meet each other was that he did not try to mount her. I took that as a very good sign, since she is so timid, he wasn't going to be real dominant with her. It's funny with all of my fears and worries, he really is very special boy. I cannot believe anyone could give him up.

Quote Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
    but I hope you find that our furry friends are often just as willing to open up their hearts to something new as we are.
    Thank you for saying that, Kristen. I think it is why i love dogs so much; I am always amazed at how forgiving and loving they are. But, I think I really needed to hear someone say that.

Well, Ginger has a Barbeque/Birthday party to go to today. Taz is invited, too (I took him over their house last night and he got along fine with their dogs), but I am thinking of just taking Ginger. There will be plenty of opportunity for her to share her special friends with him in the weeks to come, I thought maybe just one more party with them by herself would make us both feel better.

Such a handsome fella has joined your family! I LOVE these photos of him, and I do hope you will take lots more photos of your fur kids for us to enjoy!

Siblings . . . I was 8 years old when my baby brother arrived. Until then, I was IT! I wanted a BIG SISTER, and what did I get? A little brother who was "supposed" to be a birthday present and arrived a day late! (I should have taken that as a sign, but that is another story, te hee.)

Growing up we had my dog, Princess, from about 4 months old. When she was 12 or 13, and had some old age issues, my grandpa died, and I brought his dog Samantha to our home (didn't even talk it over with my folks). Well, Princess sat out in the front room and refused to even come in the house for 2 weeks. We all felt badly, even though we knew Sammie needed us as well. We spent time "visiting" with Princess and trying to coax her in, to no avail. Finally we couldn't keep THAT up and just went about our lives. And Princess got herself back into family life so she could get all her petting. We made sure to dote on her whenever she showed us ANY interest. It worked. At the end of the first month, the 2 girls would trot about the house, the yard, anywhere else side by side. As Princess continued to age, Sammie would be the one to tell us when the water bowl was empty. One of us would fill it, and Princess would be the one who drank! Stuff like that happened a lot in the last 2 years of Princess's life (she lived to almost 17).

Time will tell what type of relationship Ginger and Taz will have. I can only say it will amaze you!

God bless for taking in a senior pup.

I can't believe I didn't see this last night. Congratulations! I'm sure Ginger and Taz will be friends in no time. Mine don't usually like newcomers too much for the first few days (Winston takes a couple months), but eventually they get over it.

I saw this last night, but wasn't logged in on my nieces laptop yet. I couldn't wait to post a big WELCOME to Taz!! I think that's three active Taz's we have now....two cats and one dog.
    Anyway, I completely understand what you are going through about bringing another dog into the family. I am feeling the same way about bringing Paizly home. I am hoping Taz will accept her. He's pretty adaptable when it comes to dogs, so I'm hoping a new kitty sister will be okay.

Well, your Taz is just such an adorable little guy. I am so glad you found him and gave him a loving home. Do you know how long he had been there before you got him?
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

My goodness, he has one of the happiest faces I have seen in the first picture! He is such a cute, hunky little guy. He sure does love that window, eh?

When I read that he was 8 years old it put a huge smile on my face. I love, love, love older dogs and I love it even more when they get adopted from shelters.

Oh, I cannot forgot to say Congratulations!

Give them both some kisses from me, will you?
    The Minions:
    {The Dog: Towser & Raiden} {The Cats: Khaith, Martha, Adelaide, Snowball, & Floki} {The Bird: Gir}

Congratulations!

A wonderful new addition to your home. I know you and Ginger will never regret this Taz is a beautiful boy!

Congratulations for the new addition to your family.
    Welcome to PetTalk, Taz!

thanks k9krazee for the signature!

He is adoreable. Many congrats to you and Ginger

And I also have to say that I can definitely understand your concern about Ginger. If it wasn't for the fact that Taggart came dumping into my life like he did and instantly made himself at home, I would probably never have gotten a second dog. I had thought about it several times but Tiki was already getting old and she has never been the type who appreciates the company of other dogs, so it just seemed like too big a risk.

Tiki can be pretty bossy, so for me it was the other way around as far as dominance goes. She was the one that humped Taggart and showed him who's boss And him being the gentleman he is, never once questioned that. Even now, if I don't watch them, he will willingly give up his rawhide when Tiki decides that both of them belong to her XD

Thank you very much everyone for the kind words and encouragement. For those of you who commented on his age. When we initially started our search I decided that we wanted to rescue a senior boy, because seniors would be harder to place, and that some medical conditions/care, would be alright. Well, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the small dogs all found dogs very quickly no matter what special needs they had. Taz was at the shelter about two weeks before I went in, but he had two things going against him. He wasn't on Petfinder (well he was but no picture and no facts, just his name and chihuahua mix), and he was in a run with a very nasty chihuahua. So no potential adopters gave him a glance. Bad for him, good for me.
    Even now, if I don't watch them, he will willingly give up his rawhide when Tiki decides that both of them belong to her XD
    Ah Taggert, now I know why I am so crazy about you, handsome and a gentleman.
    Actually this really made me laugh I have a very funny story about my RB girl with a similar ending. Gotta love those gentleman pups.

Congratulations, Joyce! Taz is such a cutie pie. and yes it's alright to feel that way. Best of luck to you all. I am sure Ginger & Taz will be able to get along fine, it will take some time but I am sure they'll get used to each other.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Oh Joyce, I'm so happy for you and Ginger! Glad to hear that you've found the senior boy you've been looking for

I hope things work out wonderfully between everyone!

And as for not being happy about an addition...Huney could NOT stand Bon. She wanted nothing to do with him for weeks and avoided him like the plague. Now they're very great friends

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Congratulations on the new addition, Joyce! Taz is a cutie. I am sure he will be a great addition to your family!

Taz is so precious, and he looks like he has such a great personality.

I know how you feel, I cried the first day I got Sage, because I felt as if I was replacing Zoey, but I learned to work 3 dogs in the family, and can't think about being without Sage. I am sure you will feel the same way soon!
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)