Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm back home from hospital (but still very much in pain)

Dear Kirsten, WELCOME HOME! So glad the surgery is done and you are now home with your girls.

And I'm SO glad this was caught before it became malignant!

Take care, rest up, and feel better.

Hugs and purrs,
    Pat, Peony, Sydney, Poppy, Elmer, and Priscilla Angel

I'm so glad you are home. It's all over but the healing now. I'm sure your two fuzzy nurses will having you feeling better in no time!
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey!! Happy to hear you are back home, Kirsten

Don't worry about feeling a bit depressed . Now that the suspense about having cancer or not is gone, your body reacts by making you feel upset. With the loving care of your furbabies and good healthy homemade food and lots of resting, you will be up and around soon .

These are for you:
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Welcome back home Kirsten. It sounds like you did walk too much and I am sorry you are in so much pain from it. Now you have to rest, rest and rest some more. No heavy lifting, walk a little bit and from what I was told after my surgery, was no stairs for at least 5 days. Please take care of yourself and putting a pillow on your tummy does help if a kitty decides to walk over you.

Prayers on the way that you have a full and speedy recovery.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Thanks!

And sorry for being so short today, but I'm still very much in pain. Guess the stairs were definitely a mistake, and unfortunately, I'm living on the second floor, which means more steps.

BTW, I actually put a pillow on my tummy to keep Luna away, but she laid down on it. It worked for a while, but 6 kg is a lot when your abdomen is sore...

Will go to bed now and hope I'll feel better tomorrow.

Kirsten

Thanks for checking in with us Kirsten. I hope tomorrow is a better day for you. Take it easy now and tell Luna she will just have to lay by your side for now.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Kirsten - I hope someone is coming in every day for a while to help out. If you are living on the second floor...just stay home for a few days!

I was at my mom's for over a week - then I stayed in my apartment. I had a couple of friends that I called to pick stuff up for me. I had money for them - and it made for a brief visit - but definitely helped to stay put!

It is difficult to do nothing!

I hope you feel better soon! Do you have pain pills?
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

No, I'm on my own, nobody came to help today. Didn't think this would be so painful, this is much worse than my spine surgery 3 years ago. Even cleaning litterboxes is an ordeal!

I have to go and see my doctor tomorrow, and I need to buy groceries.

And no, I have no pain meds, but tomorrow, I will ask my doctor for it.

I really wonder if this pain is still normal. The first two days were much better, and now it's getting worse with each passing day. Meanwhile, I could scream when I'm trying to rise from my bed. And one of the incisions look somewhat infected to me, so my doctor definitely has to see this tomorrow.

Kirsten

Kirsten, glad to her you are home, continued good news with the doctors and a quick healing!

OMG...if you have no painkillers the pain is definitely normal!

It was over a week before I could start cutting down.

I used extra-strength Tylenol at first, then ibuprofen as that helps inflammation. (Drink lots of water and get fibre, as Tylenol can cause constipation.

Getting out of bed...try this(was taught in hospital):

1. Roll onto your side.

2. Use your arm that you are lying on to push you up to a sitting position.

3. When your feet touch the floor, shift forward a bit if you need to to get to the edge of the bed.

4. Use your LEGS to push you into a standing position, with your arms behind you on the bed starting you up.

This will be more comfy.

Kirsten - does the hospital have a social worker? Or does your doctor know one? I am just hoping in-home help would be available for people who are on their own, covered by your insurance. Heck, you are paying their salaries! Ask for this.

ALSO: Ask your doctor about lifting restrictions. Your groceries may be over that limit. Also...the inside dissolving stitches take 3 weeks to start dissolving...so you have to allow as MUCH healing as possible in the first 3 weeks!

If your grocery store delivers, it might cost a bit more - but you don't want to risk another surgery!

Good luck tomorrow!

You'll be able to get much better quality of rest at home, and will be feeling better in no time, Kirsten. It took me a couple weeks to really feel better after my hysterectomy, but I tell you it was worth it to be free of pain! I'm so glad you were that one-in-a-million with no cancer! Couldn't have happened to a nicer person!

Eo find out about lifting restrictions - I know I was not allowed to vaccuum, lift anything over 5 lbs., or even push a grocery cart around for a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten

And no, I have no pain meds, but tomorrow, I will ask my doctor for it.

I really wonder if this pain is still normal. The first two days were much better, and now it's getting worse with each passing day. Meanwhile, I could scream when I'm trying to rise from my bed. And one of the incisions look somewhat infected to me, so my doctor definitely has to see this tomorrow.

Kirsten
    Absolutely, you should have some pain medication - actually, you should have been sent home with some.

Helpful hint for getting out of bed: roll over on your side and rise up that way, using your security pillow/blanket across your abdomen. that's how I used to instruct my patients. You put less pull on those abdominal muscles rising from a side lying position.

It's so very nice to hear that this was caught so soon! Your so very lucky.

Sorry your in pain right now and I do hope the incesion is not infected. Healing vibes being sent your way. Feel better soon.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Will make this short, because I'm in terrible pain! I saw my doctor this morning, and yes, the incisions ARE infected and don't look good. Got an ointment, and painkillers, and was told to rest a lot (which I try to, but I have no help here, so there's still a lot to do for me).

But right now, the pain is almost unbereable! My entire abdomen seems to be burning!

Kirsten

Kirsten - please call your sister and mom! Tell them what is happening with your incision.

You HAVE to rest! Could even a cat-rescue friend not come over?

{{{hugs}}}