Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: :( bloody urine :( *NEWER UPDATE* 4-5-07

Oh Jen, I knew you'd have the right intuition here. So sorry that it was Sterling (you know I love that boy!)

What a dreadful response from the different vet. I do hope you'll say something to your regular vet next time. Did they make you pay for the office visit? It sounds as if they didn't do anything! Pouncer and I send prayers for this weekend.

The curse of multiple cats

Poor Sterling! I can only imagine how frustrated you must be with this other vet. Did the vet even examine him? Prayers that Sterling doesn't get to feeling worse before his regular vet can give him a proper going over.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

He's been on a (bloody) peeing spree around the house. POOR BABY!!!

Even though I was dissapointed in the other vet, I think I can understand her view point. At the time of the appointment we were not 100% certain it was Sterling with the blood, so since she could not get any urine she "probably" did not want to give a medication until we were all certain.

Well, I am C E R T A I N now!! Tomorrow cannot come soon enough. He obviously needs something stronger (or different) than clavamox.

On the plus side, he is not acting sick in any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by jenluckenbach
    He's been on a (bloody) peeing spree around the house. POOR BABY!!!

Even though I was dissapointed in the other vet, I think I can understand her view point. At the time of the appointment we were not 100% certain it was Sterling with the blood, so since she could not get any urine she "probably" did not want to give a medication until we were all certain.

Well, I am C E R T A I N now!! Tomorrow cannot come soon enough. He obviously needs something stronger (or different) than clavamox.

On the plus side, he is not acting sick in any other way.

Just a suggestion, but next time you take a cat to the vet for urinary problems, don't put any absorbant things inside (ie; towels, papers), they can get urine from the carrier but not if it soaks into anything.

Most likely they didn't want to give meds to a cat they weren't positive had the issues. It makes sense.

Clavamox is a pretty good antibiotic. Sterling may have simply had a reacurrence. Where I work we sometimes use other meds if Clavamox doesn't work, but they all come in pills, not liquids.

If Sterling were my cat I'd want them to do a urinalysis as soon as I could get some urine in, and possibly an x-ray for bladder stones depending on what the urine results are.

Good luck.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Well, he is at the vet and I am waiting for some info. I guess I should not have put a towel in, but I hated the thought of his fur soaking up the urine if he peed in the carrier.

So Sterling F I N A L L Y gave (or should I say was forced to give) a urine sample.....

Very high on the blood count, very miniscule amount of sediment.

So we are not worried about crystals, but mostly infection.

He will get Baytril and after 10 (of the 14 days) he needs to have another urine test. If the red count is still high the vet wants an x-ray.

So, that's all I know for now. He is still acting very much like himself, but that urine is SO bloody.

Update

Poor Sterling! I guess the fact that Sterling is pretty much back to his usual sweet little self is a big positive. Jen, my prayers continue for your adorable boy and his speedy recovery. Please give him some get better soon scritchies and smoochies from me?
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by momcat
    Sterling is pretty much back to his usual sweet little self is a big positive.
    Actually, he never showed any symptoms except the bloody urine. If he didn't do it on the kitchen floor I may never have even noticed.

Awe... poor Sterling. Baytril works really well on infections. My FIV guys always got rid of their URIs!

Let's hope the Baytril works fast. At least you say he's acting like himself and that's something. Prayers still on the rise....
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I hope that the Baytril will cure Sterling's UTI quickly and I also hope that there's nothing else going on with him.

Storm had a UTI in Jan. and he also never showed any symptoms and he was also on Baytril and it did the trick.

Thank Goodness you noticed the blood.Sometimes cats show no sign of anything until it's way too late.
    I'm very happy you knew which one to bring in.
    I don't think I ever used Baytril Before.It must be stronger than Clavamox.
    I'm glad to know about it now.
    Praying for her to get better.

I think it is good he has no crystals- so there is no need for diet etc. Hope the Baytril does its job and poor Sterling will be fine after.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara
    I think it is good he has no crystals- so there is no need for diet etc. Hope the Baytril does its job and poor Sterling will be fine after.
    Actually, Barbara, Sterling is already eating the Hill's c/d, as is my entire gang. But after finding out that Rutherford had developed the OTHER crystals, I worry that could be happening to others.

Hey Sterling, let mom give you the meds so you get well quickly!

Jen, Vita is on Baytril right now for a UTI. She HATES taking pills, has bitten me twice so far. Her symptoms: pee'ing on pet beds. Thankfull she wasn't using human furniture! After 4 days, that behaviour stopped. In 9 years, she has never had any of these problems. So I hope the Batril works for Sterling as it seems to be working from my kitty!