Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wingaling Homestyle dog food!!!!!Do not try it!!!

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Originally posted by Xeph
    ...and quite honestly, I think you're blowing this out of proportion.
    She's already stated that the bones were hard. If they had been soft, no problem. Hard, cooked bones are a problem. I don't think it's fair or kind of you to say someone concerned for their dog's safety is blowing it out of proportion. All she's done is write them and then tell us about it.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

OH COME ON!
    Do not panick..... if you squeeze the bones in between your fingers THEY ARE SOFT. Bone marrow is good for dogs.

Originally posted by beeniesmom
    OH COME ON!
    Do not panick..... if you squeeze the bones in between your fingers THEY ARE SOFT. Bone marrow is good for dogs.

Originally posted by Chica

These bones will not break up, they are hard as rocks or bones...so I picked them out of the food I was going to serve Chica.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Originally posted by beeniesmom
    OH COME ON!
    Let's not belittle the fact that she was scared to feed her dog this food. If you feel like someone is over-reacting, educate them in a polite, constructive way. Don't make them feel badly for being afraid of something. Take her feelings into consideration. Let's just be nice about this. And, as Kay already quoted, and, as I'd stated just before you said something, she has stated already that the bones were not able to be smushed.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Hey! we all over worry about our dogs. That's why
    we are members of Pet Talk.

I am still curious to see what the manufacturer replies
    back about the bones being hard and not soft.

----<---<--<{(@

I've also fed Gonzo Wingaling, and the bones were soft and mushed up easily. He loved it, but its really expensive and it has high cals so he only gets some canned food once in a while. =( I would also complain to Merrick if I found hard bones... its good you found them before Chica!!

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

7. I agree... i wouldnt feed or even buy this prodcut because of the bones alone.

bone marrow maybe good for dogs,, but.. splinters arent.

if your want your dog to have real bones,, raw is the way to go.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to belittle your feelings Chica.
    I've never had hard bones in my cans.
    I mush it all before giving to Beenie.
    At this point, you should contact the company and tell them what you found.
    A malfunction in the cooking process could result in a very dangerous situation.

Please let us know what Merrick says about your findings. It would be much appreciated.

E-Mail fromMerrick/Customer Relations

This is the e-mail from Merrick:

Dear Sherry,

You have our newest variety, the Wingaling which has three complete chicken wings in each can.

If you notice on the back of the label it states:

"Our whole chicken wings offer tender chicken cooked on the bone and as a result of the cooking process, the bones become soft as well. Feel free to serve whole or to break apart the wings and serve as a complete meal."

We hand place chicken wings in each can and then turn them upside down and cook them in large pressure cookers at a high temperature for a designated amount of time. This allows the fragile bones in the wing to become soft and mushy and is an excellent source of natural nutrients that are not found in other varieties. Try pressing down on the bones with fork prongs to see how soft they are.

We offer a variety (14 flavors) for the dogs because we realize, just like us, they like to try new flavors. We also realize that not everyone is going to like all 14. If you have purchased more Wingaling, you may return it to your retail store for an exchange if you prefer.

From the beginning our products have been made in our own production facilities (a practice that continues today) allowing us to proudly say that all of our products are made in America (Texas). At Merrick, we love animals – they come to work with us every day and remind us why we do what we do.

If you have more questions, please email me or call 800-664-7387 extension 830.

Sincerely,

Diane Smith

Director Customer Relations

P.S. Yes, we are changing the label on the Wingaling and placing the “edible chicken bones” on the front of each can.

Everyone who posted their opinions, thank you. I was being carefull when I saw the bones. They were hard and not soft like they say. So I might try another can again to see if it has soft bones. But I won't give them to Chica because they might be dangerous for her intestines. I will pick out the bones first. Chica did like the food.

Chicas mom

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's cool that they wrote you back, but, they didn't even acknowledge that the bones were hard. I'd definitely give her the bones next time if they're soft like they're supposed to be. When smushed up, they won't dangerous, they'll be beneficial!

Hmmmm...interesting. Personally, I think I'll stop feeding Wingalings to Fenway. That's okay, he enjoys Grammy's Pot Pie and the others (except for the Campfire Cookout one...he doesn't seem to enjoy it very much).

Thanks for sharing the response with us.

I'm not fond of any Merrick products. I won't use any of their products.
    Some bones are ok to feed dogs, but not cooked poultry bones.
    From the get go I was going to bet that they know & they put the bones in there intentionally as part of their diet & come to find out I was right. I do think that feeding bones is an important part of their diet but not cooked whole poultry bones.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

WOW that is bad how people sell bad food. We always get one type of dog food but I'm not sure it is bad or not they love it and they are small so i would have to say that dog ffood is the worst I have ever seen!
    [muneca]&[chiquita]

Originally posted by Almita
    WOW that is bad how people sell bad food. We always get one type of dog food but I'm not sure it is bad or not they love it and they are small so i would have to say that dog ffood is the worst I have ever seen!
    The dog food is good, this batch just had hard bones instead of soft ones, that's all. She even said she was still going to feed the food to Chica.