Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My German Shepard has siezures

I agree
    -Our Lady of Housecats

I have just read through this topic for the first time. Just out of curiosity, is your roommate not emotionally attached to the dog? I couldn't even CONSIDER putting my dogs to sleep for any reason. I'd probably go without food myself to pay for any medication. I'm just curious. Sorry if I sound nasty, I'm really not!
    Tanya, Hans, Fritz & Sparky

Somehow I don't think she is.
    She won't pay the seventy bucks to nueter him either.
    -Our Lady of Housecats

Where did your friend get this dog? Why did she get this dog? Was it only to use him as a stud? Did she have any idea what living with a large stud can be like? If she has no bond with this dog, will not neuter him and has little interest in caring for his health and emotional well being she has no right to have a dog. It is vital that she contacts the breeders and explains the situation to them, although it is unlikely they will stop breeding from affected dogs as they have not bothered to check what sort of commitment and care their pup would get once it left them.
    I too am sorry if I sound mean and cross but this sort of thing makes me mean and cross!

If your roommate is not really bonded to
    the dog,would she consider selling it?
    Hopefully to someone who cares more about the
    dog than the money she hoped to make breeding
    him. I think this could be considered as a
    Rescue type situation.At least he has you
    on HIS side.Thanks to you for that!!!
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I will take care of Charlie. It's not nessecarily that she won't. It's more like she can't because a back injury compuonded by a weight problem makes it difficult for her to move around. She only gets $500 a month in social security.

Getting the dog wasn't her idea. Her dad wanted a German shepard but didn't realize how difficult Charlie woiuld be to raise. Plus it nipped one of his grandkids so his wife made him get rid of it. Instead of returning it to the breeder or something they gave it to Lynn, not even consulting the rest of the house on a dog that is, out of nessecity, everyone's responsibillity!
    -Our Lady of Housecats

Catcrazed..
    Thanks for your update on this.His name
    is Charlie!!That name holds a Special place
    in my heart forever.
    If you can afford the neutering he will be
    a lot easier to train and control.. If He has
    all that done & someone to make sure He gets
    the meds to control the seizures, Charlie
    could make a very good pet, loyal friend,
    and strong protector of 'His Family'..
    Please let me know how everything goes.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

dear catcrazed, alex the wonder dog has been diagnosed with epilepsy since 3/97. he has a good life. i strongly urge that you get him to a vet for a full check up, including a full 6 part thyroid panel--low thyroid levels can cause seizures--and a chemistry panel. this will the be expensive but it's well worth it up front, it'll let you know up front if there is a metabolic cause for the seizures, then get him neutered, a dog who has seizures CANNOT be used for breeding. (you don't want someone else watching their beloved dog thrash around.) now it gets simpler, after that get him on the best dog food you can, BHA, BTA and ethoxyquin and rosemary can and have caused seizures and are in many foods. if you have a printer with your computer, some premiun foods company will download coupons to make it even cheaper.
    it helps to keep a log of where/when/what was happening when charlie has seizures. that's how i found that alex was sensative to a certian type of flea preventative, but not to another.
    i buy his phenobarb at the drug store, 3 months at a time, and the pills cost me $8....dirt cheap.
    there is a lot of knowledge out on the net on how to help your dog, research is important, i cried with relief when i found out there was hope for alex. if you have questions, please don't hesitate to email me. all the best to you and the roomie, alex sends woofs to charlie
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

How do you get phenobarb at the drugstore? Ijust got shais at the vet, 100 pills which will last 100 days for $24.00???
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

CATCRAZED, I think you two were put in a situation where it sounded great to get a purebred German Shepard and make some money putting him out to stud. However since he became ill, and it sounds like you both are really not in the position to pay for his care and medication, I'm sure you have good intentions, but this problem won't be for just a day or a week or for who knows how long, and I know that you have come to love him and want to help him, don't you think for the dogs sake he should go to a German Shepard rescue where they will find someone who has the resources to pay for his care and will take wonderful care of him. Maybe if you do this, you could have visitation days with him. I think at this point you should discuss this with your roomate and maybe do what is best for the dog.
    Jackie

this is for shais mom. the vet(really the tech after getting the vets okay) calls it in to the drugstore. knowing that this was a life time med i called around till i found the best price. they know me as alexs' mom there. last year i had surgery on my nose(very minor) and the doctor prescribed some mild pain pills for me; a friend went to the drugstore to pick up my pills and all the info they had under my name was for my dog. . in ohio vets can prescribe certain meds under/with their DEA number, all they need to do is write the/call the prescription in to the store.

[ July 28, 2001: Message edited by: joycenalex ]
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

Catcrazed:

Jackie brings up a very valid point. By turning Charlie over to Rescue, you will have the peace of mind of knowing the he is in the best possible hands, and guaranteed of a home where he will be loved and taken care of. I work with Newfoundland Rescue.

When a dog comes into rescue, they are placed in foster care, given all necessary vet care (including spay/neutering), and evaluated until the best home possible is found for the dog. People who adopt Newfs from rescue have gone through a thorough screening and home check.

I'm curious--- if your room-mate can't afford pheno barb, which is really not that expensive... (Sadie had severe epilepsy and took both phenobarb and postasium bromide)... is she getting all necessary shots for Charlie, as well as testing for heartworm and heartworm preventive??? That's very very important!

Please think about encouraging her to turn Charlie over to GSD Rescue.... breeding him is a very bad idea....
    CoraKiraand Sadie Mae

Star Light Star Bright
    I wish I may I wish I might
    See our Sadie's Star tonight

No she is not getting him anything but the mandatory rabies shot. I asked her to do that. Unfortunately she won't listen to me that redilly in most cases. I'm only 17, she 40ish. What do I know? Plus legally the dog is her "property"! I will look into rescue groups, but I cannot transfer ownership, as he was not mine to begin with.
    -Our Lady of Housecats