Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sask Bible camp counsellor facing heat for roasting squirrel in front of kids

One squirrel was obviously not supposed to feed everyone there, I'm at a loss as to how that even came up.

I don't have a problem with someone eating an animal that was killed during a comping trip. Waste not....

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I would have eaten it....I'll try anything once.
    And who cares if it was at a Bible camp. Whats the difference where it is ???? And what has eating animals to do with religion ?????
    Wom

"I'm Back !!"

BBQ Squirrel
    1st. Take as many squirrels as you would like add salt and pepper. 2nd. Put squirrels on grill, bbq whatever let cook for a while, then add some liquid smoke or soy sauce on top and around squirrels. 3rd. When the squirrels are almost done cooking smear BBQ sauce all over the squirrels and let cook until done...( you can use any BBQ sauce you would like or you can try my very own recipe) located at below

BBQ SAUCE FOR SQUIRREL
    1 cup brown sugar
    2 1/2 cup ketchup
    3/4 cup mustard
    3/4 cup liquid smoke or worcestershire sauce
    ( you can add as much or as little sugar as you want)

Mmmmmmm....now that sounds like something I could tuck into....Yummy !!!!!

Wom

"I'm Back !!"

It isn't merely the fact he killed and then roasted the squirrel. It is the fact that this is an adult, in charge of/responsible for children.

It was a gross error in judgment- it didn't matter if it was humane to kill the animal after maiming it or not. THAT could have been handled inoffensively. Anyone in charge or/responsible for children at a Bible camp, no less, should have known this would be offensive. To suggest otherwise is overlooking his responsibility to the children.

Lots of things happen in nature, and are humane, ethical, "normal"...but, this is a camp counselor, children and a Bible camp that we are speaking about.

Prolly pretty normal for the guy to take a big poop in the woods, too, but, doesn't mean he should go around bragging about it. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should...and here, given the nature of the relationship between the adult and the children, and in a bible camp setting- poor judgment.

As I said before, I would like to know a lot more about the story, i.e., what were the ages of the children and were they children who had been in a camping environment before? A teenager would, I am sure, have not batted an eye. Even younger children might not have been traumatized if they have grown up in a rural area and been exposed to a lot of hunting. I have friends with young children and they are used to hunting (and eating) what they hunt. I was not raised that way so it might have bothered me more than kids like that. More info is definitely needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    As I said before, I would like to know a lot more about the story, i.e., what were the ages of the children and were they children who had been in a camping environment before? A teenager would, I am sure, have not batted an eye. Even younger children might not have been traumatized if they have grown up in a rural area and been exposed to a lot of hunting. I have friends with young children and they are used to hunting (and eating) what they hunt. I was not raised that way so it might have bothered me more than kids like that. More info is definitely needed.
    Yes.....and more recipes are needed to Pam
    I'll have you eating possums and things in no time !!!!
    Wom

"I'm Back !!"

http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/show...=131510&page=2

Boys between the ages of 8 and 11

"(He) made it very clear to everyone there that they didn't need to be celebrating this and parading around."

But some of the girls at the camp learned of the squirrel roast and complained to their parents when the camp was over last weekend. Two families phoned the camp and called for the counsellor in his early 20s to be fired.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    I have two teenagers and let me assure you they would have batted an eye.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I live is Sask. so I have more of this story, that artical is VERY short lol.basicly there are a LOT of squirrles in the area, always getting into things and destroying the kids candy and such. the stick was thrown AT the squirrel on purpose, when he injured the squirrels paw(yes, thats all he injured) he then killed the squirrel and roasted it. the Dqurrile thing happend in front of the younge boys, when the Girls heard about it, they got really upset and told their parents, who complained. the counceller is not getting any reprimend at all, the onlyu thing that came of it, is a new rule they you are no longer allowed to abuse Squirrles aat the camp.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Quote Originally Posted by cali
    I live is Sask. so I have more of this story, that artical is VERY short lol.basicly there are a LOT of squirrles in the area, always getting into things and destroying the kids candy and such. the stick was thrown AT the squirrel on purpose, when he injured the squirrels paw(yes, thats all he injured) he then killed the squirrel and roasted it. the Dqurrile thing happend in front of the younge boys, when the Girls heard about it, they got really upset and told their parents, who complained. the counceller is not getting any reprimend at all, the onlyu thing that came of it, is a new rule they you are no longer allowed to abuse Squirrles aat the camp.
    I hurt my foot last week, hope that camp counselor isn't around to put me out of my misery What a moron.

I have been frosted!

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom
    I have two teenagers and let me assure you they would have batted an eye.
    Probably batting an eye was not the best choice of words. I do believe it is a regional thing and also there would be different reactions between boys and girls and at different ages. Kids brought up in that environment would probably not have had the same response as your children (or mine). Also age does matter. If my son had been there, as a teenager, he would have probably thought it was interesting, maybe even cool. My daughter, on the other hand, would have screamed EWWW!

Wom, you will never get me to eat possum!! LOL! I used to cringe when Granny on the Beverly Hillbillies used to make it in their mansion when they moved to Californey!

Yes I am sure it is regional, kids raised around farming etc would definetely have a different outlook. My kids can hardly stand to eat any kind of meat let alone seeing a fluffy cute squirell cooked.

I have been frosted!

I was/and am being raised in a residential area. My town is certainly by no means a HUGE city, we're more country but my neighborhood and neighborhoods surrounding me are all city like. We have normal shopping centers, etc. Anyway, I can tell you most people I know would have been digusted, me included. Once me, my dad, and my brother were in a car and my brother was driving. A deer hit the car and it died. Before we called the police some guy in an old beat-up Ford pick-up truck asked if my brother wanted the deer. He took it home and probably ate it. I was absolutely digusted. That is not something people around here do, or anyone I know of. That was not how we were raised so it's just odd to us.

I remember in bible camp once a kid picked up a frog, and killed it or hurt it at least. Someone told on him, and the consouller went beserk. She stated "These are god creatures and you're supposed to respect them!" the kid was crying histerically. Anyway, my bible camp was the complete opposite of this one. It's just weird to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltese_Love
    I was/and am being raised in a residential area. My town is certainly by no means a HUGE city, we're more country but my neighborhood and neighborhoods surrounding me are all city like. We have normal shopping centers, etc. Anyway, I can tell you most people I know would have been digusted, me included. Once me, my dad, and my brother were in a car and my brother was driving. A deer hit the car and it died. Before we called the police some guy in an old beat-up Ford pick-up truck asked if my brother wanted the deer. He took it home and probably ate it. I was absolutely digusted. That is not something people around here do, or anyone I know of. That was not how we were raised so it's just odd to us.
    My uncle is a hunter, and he'll do that too. What's more traumatizing to someone -- seeing a dead deer decomposing on the side of the road, or his death to not be in vain and be eaten? I don't see anything wrong with something like that, my uncle has picked up deer that he's seen someone hit (by accident, of course) and brought it home to eat.

I by no means live out in the country, but I guess I was just exposed to that type of stuff when I was younger. I would rather any animal's death not be in vain than just lay there and rot (in this squirrel's case though, the counselor definitely SHOULD NOT have thrown anything at it). But that's just me.

facebook

The way we are around here is that theres nothing wrong with eating squirrel, deer, fish, pratically everything besides pets and humans. So i dont see anything wrong with rosting squirrel.