View Poll Results: When should you tell a child that Santa isn't real?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 or under

7 17.07%
  • 6-7

6 14.63%
  • 8-9

14 34.15%
  • 10-11

8 19.51%
  • 12 or older

6 14.63%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What age do you think is appropriate to tell a kid about Santa?

CP you took my responds .He is real how else will I get my 25th annaversery diamond(hubby won't remember. )

If it weren't for my son's friends, I would have never made him believe in Santa. The only reason why I went along with the whole thing is because I'd hate for Jaden to ruin it for other kids.

We never did the Easter bunny thing or any of those other things though. Just Santa. I'd rather him recognize Christmas as Jesus' birthday and Easter as the day he rose then the day of the bunny and the fat guy in the red suit.

As a child, we always got tons of presents from Santa. One year, my parents had hard times financially and we didn't get much. I was so traumatized. I thought that we must have been horrible or something.

Because of that, Jaden gets a stocking, and a couple of inexpensive gifts from Santa. All the big expensive stuff comes from mom and dad. That way, if we had hard times financially, we can explain it...not have him thinking that Santa doesn't like him or whatever.

I found out from my first grade teacher. She was Jehovah Witness and took it upon herself to tell the whole class. I think she got fired or suspended for it. I don't remembber for sure, but I remember parents being really mad.

Thank you Wolfie!

i was about 9 or 10 when i was told that he wasnt real... it was tough for me in grade school when it came to x-mas... just to pretend to believe in santa is hard to do when your little....

~*Becky*~

RIP Stormy
    RIP Sky

I found out I think when I was 10. I heard it from someone else and asked my mom if it was true. She told me the truth and I cried. I selected 10-11 but I think 9-10 you should tell them. I think its better to hear from your parents then someone from school or something. I also think they should know around when most people would find out. Depends on with different kids though I think. For some reason I think I would tell a boy earlier then I would tell a girl...
    [size=1]Rachel & Sally

SANTA ISN'T REAL?

I say around ages 7-8. I voted 6-7 but I think that is a little young. I was told when I was 7. I think the appropriate time to tell kids about Santa is whenever you, as the parent, think is the right time. (FYI, I wouldn't tell kids under 5, and I wouldnt wait till 12 and over to tell them either.)

"Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday." - unknown author

I voted 8-9. I think Santa should be discussed with kids by parents before being discovered some other way. I know 2 girls that are 11 and they're mother is sure they don't believe, but wants to leave it at that. I believe it would be good for a parent to sit and discuss and let the child ask questions. My Mom told me and I understood I was upset, but took it well. I would have hated to just have found it out myself and my parents to just assume I knew and not talked to me about it. This mother I know says she thinks the girls won't say anything because if they don't believe they won't get any presents. I think thats terrible. I personally would want to discuss it with my child. It also gives them reason to come to the parents if they have other questions knowing they can ask questions and be told the answer truthfully.

Me-24
    Hubby-25
    Daughter Zoey is 2 !!!!
    Jasmine 1 month

I didn't vote because I don't think kids need to be told. I wasn't, and at 26 I still get a stocking from Santa at my parents house and presents under the tree.

Whenever I say, "Thanks, mom!" after opening a "santa" gift, my mom will still say, "its from Santa, not me." I love it, its makes Christmas fun and different.

My husband was raised with the Three Wise Men instead of Santa. Even then, he knew that was his parents. He wont ever understand the sense of wonderment and the imagination of the spirit of Santa Clause, and that's sad.

I found out at around 9 or 10, when I heard my dad come over late one night. My parents were divorced already, so I knew something was up.

I love Santa!
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

I agree with Kelly's response.

My parents still do the its from Santa routine even though they know I know. It is just the fun of it to me!

you can tell a child at any age who/about santa...

I'm not sure if you are firmilier with santa it doesn't sound like you are

Santa is a real person.. santa is a term we use that I guess you could say means a gift that comes from the heart of one who loves you and thinks you deserve recognition for the wonders they have done over the past year.. that is santa I am santa you are santa santa is an act within us all and we make that act into a human we portray as santa or st nick himself..

never loose the faith always belive in santa/the giveing and love in others

btw I'm 23 years old .. and my 63 year old grandma told me this many many years ago and she taught me about the background and history of this word.

We decided early on that there would be no "Santa" in our home. Dylan knows he gets gifts from family and friends, not some imaginary person. Though the whole idea might seem nice to some, I think it's utterly ridiculous to lie to your child in such a way. Christmas is a time for families, not presents.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Originally posted by jiena_drakon
    you can tell a child at any age who/about santa...

I'm not sure if you are firmilier with santa it doesn't sound like you are

Santa is a real person.. santa is a term we use that I guess you could say means a gift that comes from the heart of one who loves you and thinks you deserve recognition for the wonders they have done over the past year.. that is santa I am santa you are santa santa is an act within us all and we make that act into a human we portray as santa or st nick himself..

never loose the faith always belive in santa/the giveing and love in others

btw I'm 23 years old .. and my 63 year old grandma told me this many many years ago and she taught me about the background and history of this word.
    I understand the history/story of Santa. But I do not believe that is what Christmas is about. Christmas is the celebration of Jesus birth. The whole santa thing has gotten out of hand to me.

Thank you Wolfie!

First this: here, we don't really have "Santa". It is ST.Nicolas who brings toys to the kids, at December 6th

Here is the interesting info:
    http://www-astro.physics.ox.ac.uk/~e...ml#explanation

I found out at age 10 that it was not true. I was VERY mad, and yelled "so, doesn't God exist too then???". My parents reasured me that it was just St.Nicolas who was fake . Phew!!!
    I think kids should be told whenever they ask for it, at least before they are 8. It is sad when they find out to soon too.
    My son also was told by his teacher when he was only 7. Oh my, I was mad too then!!
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

We never did "santa" at our house at all. It was just never an option. Christmas is a spiritual season with lots of symbols and santa is just one (secular) of them but the kids have always known he was pretend. I doubt if they ever felt the need to break the NEWS to anyone at school because it was no big deal. Should someone ask "what is santa bringing you?" - they would just know it means "what are you hoping to receive for Christmas?" or that sort of thing.

I don't know why, but we DID have a "tooth fairy" I assumed that was another thing the kids knew was pretend as well but one of my kids recently told me they found one of their teeth in my jewlry box at one time and felt betrayed!! I always tryed to the max to be very honest and yet still play pretend and encourage the kids to use their imaginations - it is a very difficult balance!!! I did NOT want to be like the mom on "Miracle on 34th Street" THAT movie made a big impact on me!!!

I figured it out when I was about 10. I noticed Santa's handwriting on the gift tags looked exactly like my dad's! My dad has very distinctive handwriting. I think he may have been disguising his handwriting up until that year, and maybe decided it was time to let me figure it out.