Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Here's a poll...

I'd examine it and see if it had a tolerable amount of hair on it, and eat it! Heck, I probably eat more hair than that without dropping it!

5 second rule for me.... except we have a Callie dog who'd eat it like the others.

Cameron wanted cheese this morning. We were fresh out of string cheese and I didn't feel like opening a new pack of American cheese so I gave him a slice of swiss.... Callie enjoyed it thoroughly after Cameron made yuckie faces.

A few months back, I was at the front of the church, lined up for communion. We used bits of pita bread at the time.

It's not a dead serious occasion in many ways, but certainly a quiet and sacred rite of the church. Greg, the priest came along the line to me with the bread, and quietly intoned "The body of Christ, the bread of Heaven", and somehow the bread bounced merrily onto the floor.

Greg and I looked at each other for a split stunned second - it was all I could do to not burst out laughing, and that I swallowed the laughter was clear on my face.

After the service, I checked with Greg - and yes, the 10 second rule does apply to the Communion host. Just so we know for next time.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

As others have said, the dogs would probably snatch it up first. Although since I love cheese, I have been known to dive in with the dogs and TRY to retrieve it anyway.

I would have ate it, and yes I have done it before. Just pick off the dog hair and deal with it!

Now my best friend would probally throw up at the thought of me doing it, total germ-a-phopic. She has to wash her hands after touching anything in my house. Ha Ha
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

Growing up, the dog would have gotten it. It probably never would have made it as far as the floor! Now, I'd have to toss the cheese and just add some mustard to my sandwich! Being married to someone with a not-too-robust immune system makes me more careful.
    I've Been Frosted

Being that I'm normally tripping over a dog while I'm trying to make something in the kitchen, the cheese would have been a lost cause the moment it slipped from my hand.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

LOL, if you only knew how many times I have picked up dropped food and ate it I probably have hairballs myself!

Just the other day, I was eating a salad, and I had to check every piece before putting it in my mouth, because as the lettuce was drying on the counter, Penny rolled in it Did I rinse it off? NOPE. Did I make a new one? NOPE. I just picked through it, once piece at a time! It was too late and I was too lazy to make a new one, LOL.

And EVERYTIME I have dinner guest, I tell them beforehand that if the cat hair in their food is an issue, dont eat ANYTHING Extra protein IMO

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!

Eat it.

Mythbusters proved the 5 second rule is false. The food gets just as many germs after five seconds as if it were sitting there longer. (I forget the exact time)

Still, I'd eat it.

Niņo & Eliza

Well, granted my house is quite small and it houses two large (and high shedding) dogs and two long hair cats, I most likely would have picked it up, split it in two, and fed to the dogs. Now, if it happened RIGHT after I dry mopped and/or wet mopped (the whole house is tile) then I would eat it without a problem, just pick the stray hairs out.

Quinn has, in her short life, eaten more pet hair then I care to even think about. She is constantally dropping her food, picking it up and eating it. If it's way too covered in hair for even Miss Quinn, she'll say "dirty" and hand it to me and I must rinse it off (or replace it with a hairless morsel).

I try to keep the floors clean by mopping 4 or so times a week, but even with that, it's still always a hairy mess.

It's funny, I am totally grossed out by human hair but a stray animal hair in my food doesn't bother me much. I was at my friends house a few weeks ago and she made us scrambled eggs. I had to pick a couple of her cats hairs out of my eggs and it didn't even phase me. I wouldn't have eaten them if one of my friends hairs got into the eggs

Quote Originally Posted by AdoreMyDogs View Post
    It's funny, I am totally grossed out by human hair but a stray animal hair in my food doesn't bother me much.
    I totally agree with that. After owning a grooming shop for many, many years, dog hair does not phase me much.

DH walked into the grooming shop the other day as I was cleaning a crate that a dog had pooped in. It totally grossed him out, and he ran out gagging. I laughed! However, he will change his grandson's diapers with no problem at all, and there is no way on this earth you could talk me into changing a diaper anymore!

Same with vomit ... if one of the dogs throws up on the floor, I just grab some paper towels and clean it up. No big deal. But if any human being even hints that they might be throwing up any time soon, I am out of the house in about 2 seconds flat!
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Reggie would knock me down getting to it. Like she always does.

I'm a slow mover so I doubt it would be there if I tried grabbing it. If it was the very last piece I would yell to leave it and rinse it off (if it needed it) then proceed with the sandwich.

Shepgirl,

Great minds think alike!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

This thread is so funny!!!! Great question, Donna.

D and D would dive for it but I usually tell them no and they won't continue. Cheese is their favorite food so it might not work in this case.

My final answer: inspect and add to the sandwich. I am another person that probably eats more dog hair than I can ever really know about.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!