Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If your pet had a terminal illness...

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcat
    I think the main things are quality of life and pain.

My feelings also. Three years ago we had to make the decision for two of our cats within a 3 month time period. One was in pain; the other had no quality of life. We made the right decision both times - but it was excrutiatingly difficult.

Quality of life is what it's all about, once that's gone the rest is just existing, not living.

We had to make the decision for our jack russel on 25th March this year, it's still painful to write this.

I hope your Nicki has many more years left with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika
    So long as they are in no physical pain or at risk for physical pain, I would let them live it out. Because who knows how many years they can have left? If they seem happy and are not in pain, enjoy the time you have left!
    exactly what I was thinking. I would hate to lose my 6 babies to a terminal illness.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Quote Originally Posted by slick
    Max is 13.

If I were told that he had cancer and it was terminal, then I would not opt for treatment. Assuming that he's eating OK, acting normally and in no pain, he would come with me and I would appreciate all the days he has left. There is no question that Max would let me know when it's time. I would not wait until the last minute.....the very second I suspect he's in pain, then I would help him to the Bridge. It's all about quality of life, not quantity of days.

Prayers for Nicki.
    Kim, if you have followed my stories on Murphy, Zipper and Mimi, then you will know that I am not into heroics, especially to buy just a little more time. BUT, I always have had excellent veterinary advice, which I think is crucial. He has never told me what to do, but he has guided me to my decisions.

I quoted Slick because I thought her words were what I was trying to say.

Good luck. I hope it isn't something that can't be reversed, but I also pray that if it is something that can't be fixed, that you will have the strength and wisdom to do what you need to for Nicki.

Logan

I talked to hubby. If it IS cancer, we won't be doing anything except making her as comfortable as possible since she'll be 12 in a few months and when she was a puppy I was told her life expectency was 10-12 years. So in my mind, she's lived a good long life. In my mind, 12 years is NOT ENOUGH!

But anyway, if it is cancer then we'll just take it by day and see what transpires. I can't afford a vet trip at all right now. Just take my word on it - its not going to be a financial possibility. We have too many medical bills for ourselves and the baby (and the father is NOT paying ANYTHING ), I have to have exploratory surgery, I basically quit my job the other day.... so I'll watch Nicki closely for the next few weeks. I don't know what to think. She's losing weight but still eating well. She's active... actually more active than she's bieen in a long time (perhaps because she now feels better to be thinner?) She seems happy and attentive. I don't see any pain in her eyes or actions. She didn't flinch when I palpatated her stomach. Her stools are completely normal.

Would this case not qualify for IMOM? So sorry that deadbeat dad is not paying anything! Do you have a friendly lawyer who would send him a warning letter for no charge to you?

Or Ashley might be able to get assistance through a single parents organization or something.

Fingers crossed!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper
    She's active... actually more active than she's bieen in a long time (perhaps because she now feels better to be thinner?) She seems happy and attentive. I don't see any pain in her eyes or actions. She didn't flinch when I palpatated her stomach. Her stools are completely normal.
    Kim, I think you answered your own question here. As long as her quality of life is still good, spoil her more than ever and treasure every minute with her more. In other words, spoil spoil spoil!

As you know, Peanut had a cancerous tumor removed from her bladder in June of 05. Later that year during her follow-up checkup, the vet said there was still "a malignancy there somewhere," but he couldn't see it while doing the surgery and it didn't show up on the ultrasound. So I knew it was just a matter of time for her. Today, over a year later, she is still doing well. She has lost a lot of weight and has taken to peeing on the rug in the bathroom more than in the litter box, but is otherwise healthy and happy. The minute I think she is in pain I will help her peacefully to the RB, but until then, she is being spoiled rotten.

You will know when it's time for Nicki. She will let you know. Even if you took her to the vet and found out it was indeed a cancerous tumor, knowing her age and the good life she's led, your decision wouldn't be any different, so just spoil, spoil, spoil and know that you will be there for her when she truly needs you.

{{{hugs}}}
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl