Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fire!!

Originally posted by moosmom
    Oh Phreeeeeeed, I think you have a definite calling. The Scottpack alarm is a GREAT idea!!
    Has this alarm already been invented?? If so, why isn't it being used??

I thought of something else. If there's time to throw a mattress or two out the window - presuming you're 5 - 10 meters up, that would make a softer landing for the cat/dog.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I guess, we'll have to learn climbing down ladders - however silly it may look. And will a radiator be strong enough to attach the ladder to.
    We hope to buy one of the following emergency ladders asap.

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/p...lutions=&code=

The alarm is used in Scottpacks, a breathing apparatus that firefighters use to go into burning buildings. When the air gets low, an alarm sounds so the firefighter knows to get out.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

"Pet alarm"...

Originally posted by Randi
    Has this alarm already been invented??
    "Pet Smoke Alarm" already invented?

Sadly, NO. But with some good reasons...

SIZE would be a major problem. The typical battery powered Home smoke detector is *way* too big to strap onto Fido's neck belt!

LOCATION would be a factor... Home smoke detectors *work* because they're mounted high up on a wall or ceiling - where the smoke from a fire first builds up. A smoke alarm on Fido - down on the floor - wouldn't *alert* until the room was almost completely filled with deadly smoke... Too late to be of any real value.

And then there's the PANIC Factor - Imagine if *YOU* were wearing a LOUD smoke detector on YOUR neck - and it *went off*!

FireFighters wear two different alarms (although some newer Air-Paks combine them into one unit)...
    One detects and alerts to "Low Air" in our breathing air tank; and the other one detects "Lack of Movement" and alerts (LOUDly!) to guide other FireFighters to the non-moving or injured FireFighter.

A Pet-worn smoke alarm might *sound* like a good idea,
    but I fear it wouldn't be very practical.

/s/ Phred
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

i know i would be scared if there was a fire at a house near mine.im glad the family was ok tho.
    ~Your best friend doesn't have to be human~

Donna
    what a horrible, tragic thing to happen to you, to your family! I'm so sorry to hear that.

and also so awful about the poor puppy!

thanks Phred. I bet you and Donna have alot of stories to tell?
    I bet fires start for all kinds of crazy reasons?

Like I have posted before, I have had 2 experiences with fire before, one was the moving van that caught on fire because of the idiots SMOKING!! smoking in the truck with all our stuff, we came back from McDonalds and there they were! it was raining, so they didn't want to be outside, well they had no business doing that, and obviously were not careful about putting out the cigarettes! and we were dumb for not telling them to not do that, but we had no idea of that happening!
    the second time it was very minor but could have been alot worse. I had a candle burning and forgot to blow it out before I went to bed, and a t-shirt was near by... thank God I had a smoke alarm!

the wood stove story reminded me of at the family cabin many years ago, there is a wood stove. I was alone at the time, and I went to warm myself by it and there was a tack poking out of the carpet , I put my hands out to catch myself, right on the stove, talk about DUMB!! the palms of my hands were burned! I had to rub ice cubes on them for 45 minutes before the burning feeling stopped!