Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feeding Your Dogs Treats

Hi!

I'm sorry but I haven't read the other replies you have had on this - so if I repeat something or go against something that has already been said it is not intentional or meant to offend in any way.

Basically I would say to you - stop giving the dog treats!

The dog is having a problem understanding which one of you is in charge here.

If the dog realised that you were in control then it would NOT snatch food, nip or bite you!

The dog is making sure that YOU are reminded who is in control every time you offer a treat - the dog is thinking that you have NO RIGHT to have the food. This needs sorting out!

Stop giving the dog treats - find another way of rewarding the dog for good behaviour. This may be physical, verbal or game. Relying on food to reward a dog is fraught with problems - dogs that are fed on a sensible diet do not need extras anyway.

Imagine having a dog that wants to please YOU rather than only obeying for food.

Our dogs have both done that, the male was really bad at doing that, biting our fingers when taking the treat.
    And then the female was doing that to me.
    I worked on them and told them no, and yes, ouch and pretended to cry that hurts. And then you don't feed the hand that feeds you. LOL

We get ours to sit and also don't get excited, keep your voice very calm when you say treat. And if they lunge at you, pull your hand away and and stay sit. They must learn to do it calmly. Yes, they will still at times be so eager for that precious treat and get your fingers. I keep my hand flat and my fingers out of their mouth.

I disagree, don't take the treats away, they love treats and it works for so many things you teach them and something they look forward to when on a walk.

Like someone said be patient and it takes time. Each dog is different.
    You must use words too when you give a treat.
    Last edited by Kathleen; 04-11-2004 at 11:46 PM.

I just use the "Gentle" command here, and it's worked great for my cats and dogs.

I hold out a little peice between my fingers, really only enough so they can smell it and lick it at first, if they chomp down I will say "Ouch" in a kind of yelping way.

Then we will try again, I say "Gentle" in a soft voice, they generally get it right the second time around and then never have a problem again.

Hope everything continues to go well for you 2
    "If you won't rescue, don't breed"