Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Which book are you currently reading?

Too close to home- Linwood Barclay

It's really good... I read 'No time for goodbye' by him about a year ago and that was amazing... a really good ending which made everything else in the book make sense.
    -Ellie

'If everyone else's opinion is what matters, then do you ever really have one of your own?'- Jodi Picoult, Nineteen Minutes

I've been reading light and fluffy mysteries (is that possible? ) They are the kind where a strong woman is the heroine who solves the crimes/murders, who also happens to find the love of her life in the process. It fits my mentality right now -- I don't want to have to think too hard, but I also want to be engrossed in the book.

The one I'm reading now is called "the Chick and the Dead". I got it at the book warehouse for $1.50..... and I only picked it up because I needed one more book in my pile to get that price, or else the books would have been $2.50 each. I read all the others and saved this one for last because it seemed to be the least interesting of the bunch. I started it yesterday morning and I'm more than halfway through. I can't wait to put Cam ot sleep so I can finish it. So, the one I thought seemed the dumbest was the one I'm most involved in! The book is FUNNY

I am reading a book of short stories by Stephen King called
    Nightmares & Dreamscapes.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Che Guevara; A Revolutionary Life" by John Anderson. Supposed to be the most complete biography of the man ever...well written, meticulously researched and fascinating.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    Did you think you could tell what the niece wrote after the death of the original author? I thought there was a definite change of tone at one point.
    No, I must admit I did not notice a change. And I was unaware, until well after I read the book, that the original author had died.

Then I was disappointed, as I had hoped she would write more books.

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    I am reading a book of short stories by Stephen King called
    Nightmares & Dreamscapes.
    Have you read many by Stephen King? I read Christine and Fire Starter (loved that one), but I'm really not into that type of book. Started one by Dean Koontz once - lasted only 2 chapters.

Anyway, one by Stephen King that I loved is Faithful. He wrote it with Stewart O'Nan. It is their account of a year spent watching the Boston Red Sox games - in person. They just happened to pick the year 2004 - never suspecting that that would be the year

Im reading Enders Game by Orson Scott Card for about the 100th time lol If I love a story I can read it over and over and it will be just as exiting as the first time

Quote Originally Posted by Killearn Kitties View Post
    Oh Barbara, have you overcome your antipathy towards Ian Rankin?
    This one is without Rebus and I badly needed one at the airport Friday

I'm reading Millenium- Stieg Larsson

I am reading Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt, a novel by Anne Rice.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

11. Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    No, I must admit I did not notice a change. And I was unaware, until well after I read the book, that the original author had died.

Then I was disappointed, as I had hoped she would write more books.
    I think because I read the entire book in one sitting (a long plane ride) it was more noticeable. I did not know why until I finished but I thought the last part very different than the rest of the book. Then I read the story.

I too was disappointed to know she would not be writing another book.

I am reading Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer. It is the last in the Twilight series. I've already read Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse. I am reading these for the same reason I read the Harry Potter series. My stepdaughter is reading them and I figured someone (one of us grownups) should be aware of the content of the books. It's been a good read, I'm almost done the last book, but my personal preference is ANYTHING Stephen King.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

I'm actually between books right now. Waiting on the new Charlaine Harris, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, and Kathy Reichs books to come out. I tend to bounce between young adult and adult fiction. Reading is my way to escape so I tend not to read anything too serious.

I've burrowed "The Vampire Dairies" by L.J. Smith from one of my cousins but I can't seem to get invested enough to read past chapter 4. *sigh*

Guess I'm going to have to suck it up and hit our lil library here in town or the bigger one over in New Madrid.
    Hold your head high.
    Don't ever let 'em define
    The light in your eyes.
    Love yourself, give them Hell.
    You can take on this world.
    You just stand and be strong
    And then fight
    Like a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Poop View Post
    but my personal preference is ANYTHING Stephen King.
    Hi Gayle,

Me too (mostly). If you like him, you also might want to try Shirley Jackson. She was a big influence on him and you can see that in his writing once you read her.

And, check this out! I belong to the Unitarian Universalists of Clearwater church and several months ago we had this incredible guest minister. She was dynamic, intellegent, moving and had us all fixed on her incredible message her name is Naomi King and (drum roll please) it turns out that she is Stephen King's DAUGHTER! No mention was made of this when she visited so she rested on her own merit. I was so impressed by her that I looked her up on the internet and that's how I found out. Her regular church is a UU congregation in Plantation FL (near Miami). So it seems that they are BOTH story tellers of the greatest kind.

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain

I just read Nineteen Minutes. I highly reccommend it.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!