Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Show me your rats!!!!!

Was the Y in the center of her chest in between her upper arms? I can see she has white feet also, therfor you had an irish! Good marked irishes are hard to come by, consider yourself lucky! I love irishes. Sorry to hear about your ratties. If anyone wants to get a look at some of my rats, go to my profile and click on my webpage. You can see cute little rittens there too!

Oh ya for those who don't know what a ritten is, it's a baby rat. They are actually called kittens but some breeder (like me, hehe) like to call them rittens. R for the rat. Get it?

Y & her twin sister looked like this.

[IMG]C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\Y.bmp[/IMG]

but their front paws were all white, up to their wriste's then it was only white on the inside, Wishbone's Y went right to her tail. I had no idea they were special, I just knew they were imbread, living in poor conditions & felt sorry for them. I hope this pic works, if not,, I think u got the gist of it

Are their fur suposte to be really weird looking, because the top of their backs was one shade, then there was a strip of a diff shade then there below that it was a nother diff shade. I thought it was caused by them being inbreed.

Too bad they turned out to be agressive Rats & tried to kill my other rats.

But it was their beauty that caught my eye (& of course I knew I could provide better for them.

My cage was large enough to house 15 rats, if I wanted to. But 10 was the limit for me. Not including all the babies.

I miss them

Their fur problem is just molting. At 8 weeks babies will shed their old fur and start getting their adult coloring. They can go through a dramatic change in this time period. Some rats start out of beige and then turn into siamese etc. Adults usually molt once every three months or so. However their problem could be dinginess in color. Some poorly bred rats color is not as good as it should be. Although it sounds as if they were molting.

Rex and velveteens fur will sometimes appear to be different shades as the sun hits it from different angles. Rex and velveteens are curly whiskered and curly furred rats whose undercoat is sparse. The undercoat of velveteens is missing all together making them very very soft. Since their fur is curly it tends to seem like they have three different colors.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Originally posted by YellowLabLover

Here's a picture of Nuggets babies- they are a little shy of the camera.
    I usually do not look at rat threads...I just can't get interested in them as pets, nothing against them, just not for me.....but, i looked and Nugget's Babies are adorable!

My rat wasn't molting, I got her at 3 months & had her for 8 months & the colour never changed.

Hee- Hee, thanks!

Originally posted by kingrattus
    My rat wasn't molting, I got her at 3 months & had her for 8 months & the colour never changed.
    Have you seen a rat molt? The color doesn't change it just looks different on the back and sides when they are. They molt every three months or so. Although like you thought, what you are describing could be due to poor diet/husbandry/background. They looked find to me in the pics though. Good thing you rescued those guys!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.