Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Horse Trivia

Alrighty, here are the answers. Breed two is a Boulonnais, and breed one is a Gelderlander.
    This is a picture of a Boulonnais:

This is a picture of a Gelderlander:

I love the first picture!! I love drafties!!
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

The Boulonnais was my next guess, but I thought the Ardennes had more references towards being a military horse. Guess I can't win them all, huh?

That Warmblood is a good looking horse!

Hey Vermontcat, sent you a PM.
    Job 12:7-10 : But ask the animals and they will teach you, or the birds of the air, and they will tell you; or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish of the sea inform you, which of all these does not know, that the hand of the Lord has done this? In His hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind. (NIV)

Okay, here is one from my experience and point of view. Why does the web halter promote pulling when tied, dragging of the handler, and general disobiedience?
    Job 12:7-10 : But ask the animals and they will teach you, or the birds of the air, and they will tell you; or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish of the sea inform you, which of all these does not know, that the hand of the Lord has done this? In His hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind. (NIV)

Kentucky Derby Festival

Time of year Held?
    location?
    Year Started?

Kentucky Derby Festival

*First Sunday in May
    *ChurchHill Downs, Louisville Kentucky (been there )
    *Started in 1864 (?)

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Equine- I have no clue about web halters...I have never worked with one before. So, I will let someone else answer about that. I can't wait to see the answer, it sounds neat to me.

You know what, I am in a giant Kentucky Horse Park festive mood, since I will be going there soon. So, I will post some trivia about the Kentucky Horse Park.

*Name 5 famous horses that live at the KHP.
    * How many acres is the KHP on, how many miles of fencing is there?
    * The economic impact of the KHP has reached $________ annually.
    * Over __(#) people visit the KHP annually.
    * Over __ (#)different breeds can be seen at the KHP.

I know they aren't the toughest, lol, but oh well. I think they are kind of neat.

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

Re: Kentucky Derby Festival

Originally posted by YellowLabLover
    *First Sunday in May
    *ChurchHill Downs, Louisville Kentucky (been there )
    *Started in 1864 (?)
    you were correct on the 1st two. The last question The year was 1956 ( Thats when they started the festival)

when I am talking about web halters, I mean everyday common halters which are made of web. Leather halters can be included in this "catagory" since though they are made of a different material, they are the same design.

Equine, I am not sure about the web halters either unless it has something to do with the lead rope being attached under the chin and having less control than a bridle with a bit?

I have a couple of answers for you YLL,

The Kentucky Horse Park has 1200 acres and 30 miles of fence.
    There are almost 50 different breeds of horses there.
    It sounds like a cool place to visit, I wish I lived closer so I could visit. When are you going there? You better take lots of pictures!
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08
    ----------------------------

Milly & Izzy

Vermontcat, I am going there during spring break, which is in a couple of weeks. Yippee! Don't worry- I will take tons of pictures, and I plan on posting some of them on Pet Talk. We are also going to a horse ranch during spring break, in Tennessee. Oh yeah, your answers are correct, by the way.

Click here if you want to see the horse ranch website.

Equine- doesn't a web halter break easier than a leather hatler? I remember at horse camp, horses were breaking them left and right.

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

Answer to halter question

Okay, here we go. YLL, you are on the right track. Both web and leather halters break easily, considering that you have such strength and weight on them when a tied horse pulls. But ever thought of why they pull in the first place?

Horses by nature are claustiphobic, and being "confined" by their halters, by their heads is scary business, especially if something else makes them really want to get out of there! And once they learn those things won't hold them, they try again and again. Web and leather halters, by design, cradle the head, much like a harness, which is for a horse to PULL with, cradles the body. Horses are inclined to lean into pressure rather than move away from it. They have to be taught to move away from pressure, like leg, bit, and even hand pressure (ever notice when you NEED him to move over he pushes back into you? ) To give you an idea of how this feels to the horse, have someone lay a flat hand on your arm and push. You want to push back into it don't you. And it isn't too hard to do it, especially if you are stronger. So.....

The solution? Use hand-tied rope halters!

*IMPORTANT* Don't confuse a rope halter with a Be-Nice halter. These things clamp down on the head and can cause severe damage to the nerves at the poll! Nasty things!

To again show you by example, have your same friend put a finger on your arm instead and push. First, before they push, the finger is light, barely noticeable compared to the hand, right? Then when the pressure comes, it is irritating and you certainly want to move away to stop the pressure. This is how the rope halter works. 5mm rope works best, as thicker rope just brings you back to a web halter effect of cradling the head. An added bonus, the rope halters, when made of appropriate rope and tied properly will not break. I have cured Percherons of pulling with rope halters.

Now, this carries through with tying, leading, lounging, even riding, if you are using a halter instead of a bridle. Once you learn how to correctly use a rope halter, you will never need a chain again to control your headstrong, unfocused horse who leads you, or worse, pushes over you, or drags you when you lounge. And any horse I start undersaddle I use the rope halter instead of a bridle, since they already know, respect and understand the feel of it. One less thing for them to figure out when I get up there!

yellowlablover, that is a great site. thanks, I just emailed them with a few questions. thanks again

Equine- OH OK...now I get it. LOL! Sorry, sometimes I am a little slow. The camp director at the summer camp I go to,used those hand-tied halters on his horses...now I know why he used them. Is that one of your horses? Or a clients?

Oodles- no problem! I am so excited, I can't wait to go there!

Here are some new questions:

* What is a twitch? Where is it used? What does it do/why do you use it?

* Name 15 breeds from the United States

* What is the purpose of a roller-mouth snaffle?

* What is the purpose of a breaking snaffle?

* What is a galvayne's groove?

* What is a loathed shoulder?

* What is a parrot mouth?

Ok...that is more than enough. LOL.

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

My Mom and I went to the local farm store, Farm N Fleet, and I was drooling over their Weaver western tack. Oh...it is so gorgeous! And so expensive! I stand in the horse isles for hours, lol, I love to sniff all the horsey shampoo, hehe. There is one that smells like wintergreen, oooooooo, do I love it!

I have been meaning to save up some of my money to buy some saddle pads, halter, grooming tack, etc. to donate it to Camp Anokijig...they need it really bad- but I don't have the money. I am waiting to see if there are going to be any sales at all, then maybe I can buy something. /

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

Is that one of your horses? Or a clients?
    Nope, neither. Got the pic off a site so I could clearly show the halter. The pics I have don't show it as well.

* What is a twitch? Where is it used? What does it do/why do you use it?
    Twitch is a common name for several devices or techniques used to subdue a horse in stressful situations such as clipping or giving medical attention. One place it can be used is on the nose, upper lip specifically with clamp like device, a cord formed into a loop coupled with a stick to twist the loop tight around the lip, or a ( ) chain loop at the end of a stick used in the same fashion. There are several other types of twitches, any one want to name them?

*Name 15 breeds from the United States
    Morgan, Morab, Quarter Horse, Appaloosa, Mustang, Missouri Fox Trotter, Tennessee Walker, Saddlebred, Rocky Mountian Horse, Standardbred, Cleaveland Bay, Colorado Ranger, American Bashkir Curly, American Cream, Paint

* What is the purpose of a roller-mouth snaffle?
    The roller mouth can have several purposes: 1)the roller acts as a toy for the horse to find comfort in fiddling with, 2) the roller lifts up onto the soft palate when the reins are engaged and creates a greater degree of discomfort which to some = a greater degree of control, 3) if the roller is copper, which it often is, the combination of the steel mouth peices and the copper roller help encourage salivation which in turn encourages a softer mouth.

* What is the purpose of a breaking snaffle?

* What is a galvayne's groove?

* What is a loathed shoulder?

* What is a parrot mouth?
    I will leave some for others to answer....Vermontcat?