Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Name a City Game......... Geography anyone

This one I can't resist.

Normal, Illinois is the home of Illinois State University. Normal got its name because of the original name of ISU: Illinois State Normal College (the purpose of a "normal school" was to train teachers by establishing norms - hence, normal school).

Normal is part of the Bloomington-Normal metro area. Bloomington hosts the Illinois Shakespeare Festival - Beer Nuts are made there - and also one of the best regions for golf in Illinois.

Next: L

ISU ... Go Redbirds!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

The city of Luxembourg (Luxembourgish: Lëtzebuerg, German: Luxemburg), also known as Luxembourg City (Luxembourgish: Stad Lëtzebuerg, French: Ville de Luxembourg, German: Luxemburg Stadt), is a commune with city status, and the capital of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. It is located at the confluence of the Alzette and Pétrusse rivers in southern Luxembourg and contains the historic Luxembourg Castle, established by the Franks in the Early Middle Ages, about which the area grew up.

As of 2009, the commune of Luxembourg City has a population of 90,000, which is almost three times the population of the second most populous commune.

Luxembourg City is one of the wealthiest cities in the world, having developed into a banking and administrative centre. Luxembourg is a seat of several institutions of the European Union, including the European Court of Justice, the European Court of Auditors, and the European Investment Bank.

Wikipedia

Next G

Glenview, Illinois is a northern suburb of Chicago. It used to house the Glenview Naval Air Base which was closed by the Department of Defense in 1995. They made it into a multi-use area with a nice movie theatre, shops, the Kohl Children's Museum and a park.

Next: W

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

uhmmmmm ... bump?

Waterloo , Belgium. Has a population of approx. 29,315.

One quarter of the current registered population are non-Belgian, most of whom work for institutions in Brussels, the capital of the European Union. Waterloo is home to St. John's International School, one of the largest and oldest international schools in Belgium. The European headquarters of MasterCard International is also located in Waterloo

Waterloo's claim to fame is the Battle of Waterloo (June 18, 1815) between the First French Empire of Napoleon Bonaparte and the Alliance of the Seventh Coalition (the United Kingdom, Prussia, Austria and others), under the main allied commanders, the Duke of Wellington and General von Blücher.

This is where Napolean Met His Waterloo.

Next O

OSLO capital of Norway

Oslo (help·info) is the capital and largest city in Norway. Founded around 1048 by King Harald III of Norway, the city was largely destroyed by a fire in 1624. The Danish–Norwegian king Christian IV rebuilt the city as Christiania (briefly also spelled Kristiania). In 1925 the city reclaimed its original Norwegian name; Oslo. The diocese of Oslo is one of the five original dioceses in Norway, which originated around the year 1070.

next: O
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Oymyakon, Russian is a village located along the Indigirka River, 30 kilometers (20 mi) northwest of Tomtor on the Kolyma Highway. The population is 521. The Two towns by the highway, Tomtor and Oymyakon, both claim the coldest inhabited place on earth (often referred to as -71.2°C, (−96.2 °F) The average temperature in Oymyakon in January is -42°C

Oymyakon is on the infamous "Road of Bones". Joseph Stalin was a paranoid communist ruler who did more to bring suffering to the Russian people than any foreign enemy. If ever there was a clueless fool, it was Stalin. On top of this, he was also one of the most vicious people ever to exist on the face of the earth. Under his rule, between 20 and 40 million Russians died build the road
    of Bones that connects Magadan and Yakutsk.

Next N
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown

Nice is a city in France on the Mediterranean Sea. It is famous for its climate, tourism, and contributions to art (painting). Some day I hope to go there!

Next ... E

Ekaterinburg - the city in Russia where the last czar, Nicholas, and his family - were assassinated.

So "G" is next.
    I've Been Frosted

Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - the home of U.S. President Gerald R. Ford and also of my Cerebellar Hypoplasia kitty Bob before I adopted him.

Next is 'S'.
    Last edited by phesina; 02-11-2011 at 05:00 PM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Singapore officially the Republic of Singapore, is an island country off the southern tip of the Malay Peninsula. . It is separated from Malaysia by the Straits of Johor to its north, and from Indonesia's Riau Islands by the Singapore Strait to its south. Singapore is the world's fourth leading financial centre and a cosmopolitan world city, playing a key role in international trade and finance. The port of Singapore is one of the five busiest ports in the world.

Next E

Engadine, Michigan.

Engadine is in the U.P. It began as a lumber settlement called "Kennedy Siding" and was given a post office in August 1889. In December 1893, a railroad agent named Sam Peterson, who was a native of Switzerland, had the name changed to Engadine, after the scenic Swiss valley.

The population at the 200 census was 1200.

Next - E once again.

Empoli, Italy

Empoli is a city and comune in Tuscany, Italy, about 20 km southwest of Florence, to the south of the Arno in a plain formed by the Arno river. The plain has been usable for agriculture since Roman times. The commune's territory becomes a hilly one as it departs from the river. Empoli is on the main railway line from Florence to Pisa, and is the point of divergence of a line to Siena.
    Empoli has an enduring tradition as an agricultural centre. It has given its name to a local variety of artichoke.

Archaeological finds have revealed that Empoli was already settled in the early Roman Empire times, and continued to exist until 4th century AD. The river acted as a communication way for the trade of agricultural products, together with the local amphorae. In the Tabula Peutingeriana of the 4th century Empoli is called in portu ("in the port") as a river port on the Roman road Via Quinctia, which led from Fiesole and Florence to Pisa. Empoli was also on the Via Salaiola, connecting to Volterra's salt ponds.
    Since the 8th century Empoli consolidated as a town around the castle, known as Emporium or Empolis. In 1119 it was absorbed into the Guidi counts possessions. In 1182 it went under Florentine rule. In 1260, after the Battle of Montaperti, Empoli was the seat of a famous council in which Farinata degli Uberti opposed the destruction of Florence.
    Later Empoli became an important fortress, and was therefore repeatedly sacked and attacked. In 1530 its fall marked the end of the independence of the Florentine Republic

Next up 'I'
    Last edited by kittycats_delight; 02-11-2011 at 06:46 PM.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

Shouldn't next up be i - the last letter of Empoli?

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Shouldn't next up be i - the last letter of Empoli?

d'uh choc it up to a blonde moment. LOL

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica