View Poll Results: Declawing: against or for?

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • Against

160 75.12%
  • For

35 16.43%
  • Not sure

15 7.04%
  • Don't know

3 1.41%
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Declawing: against or for?

I think everyone agrees that there are special circumstances like Junior, and only then would de-clawing be considered necessary, if it is done to make the kitties life better then that is a completely different thing altogether.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I agree with carole, catnapper and david p. I think de-clawing is fine in that circumstance. I don't understand why people would want to declaw their cat because they're ruining the furnature ect. A neighbour declawed her cat and let it outside, a dog attacked it (it eventually needed to be put down because of the dog) and it could not defend it's self It's so sad.

as long as its done while they are kittens. My larger cat has been (found him that way) but the smaller one isnt. She doesnt attack the furniture, just the carpet because its hooked. I couldnt imagine doing in now because she is older and wouldnt understand why her feet hurt.
    How can someone abuse an animal like this?

I am sorry I cannot see what difference it would make if it is done when they are kittens, kittens feel pain just the same.!!!!
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I'm sorry too... as its the best time to teach the cat not to scratch is when they are kittens. Teach them young and they'll have a lifetime of good habits of not scratching the furniture.

Something to think about before deciding to declaw your cat:
    7 years ago, I had a cat that I had declawed. She was a 100% indoor cat. I never let her out...but she was let out by mistake. I could not find her. Never did. I would like to think she was taken in by someone, because I can't bear the thought that she was out in the country defenseless. I would never ever do that to my kitty now. If there are other issues, we will work through them. Cats rely on their claws for protection.
    Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

"I disagree, a home which demands declawing before homing a cat is not a good home but a narrow minded OR uneducated one."

I kind of resent that coment, I have 5 cat children, and when I got them declawed, it was not because I was narrow minded or uneducated. I knew what they were going to do. I really didn't have a whole lot of choices. None of them will go outside, haven't in years, we can leave the door open and they just lay inside the door.
    Not to mention the fact that all of the boys, beat the living snot out of my mamma, and they were hurting her. And each other.

I thought that this was supposed to be a place that everyone could share their personal opinions and not be critized or called names.
    I have read some of these posts and some of the things people say are just cruel. I have learned in my life, that sometimes it is best not to ask a question, especially if you don't know what the answer might be, cause chances are, you won't like the answer.
    Toyna

Originally posted by lildemon72
    "I disagree, a home which demands declawing before homing a cat is not a good home but a narrow minded OR uneducated one."

I kind of resent that coment, I have 5 cat children, and when I got them declawed, it was not because I was narrow minded or uneducated. I knew what they were going to do. I really didn't have a whole lot of choices. [/B]
    The defination of narrow-minded is
    not willing to accept ideas or ways of behaving that are different from your own:
    You declawed your cats as you could not accept that there was alternatives ideas or training methods, as you said 'I really didn't have a whole lot of choices.' That is a classic defination of narrowed minded, being closed minded to new ideas like owning a clawed cat.

This is not an insult just a description of your situation/attitude

BTW neither is uneducated an insult either, the actual defination is...

having received little or no education
    Certainly this does not apply to you as you say you 'knew what they were going to do'

-------------------------------

BTW if you want to show how open minded you are, post for help when you adopt your next cat (as there is always another cat )

We can help you train him/her though the nawtee kitten stage between 4 months and a year.

Once a cat gets to be a year old, they all calm down and start behaving very well regarding scratching etc.

Sadly those cat owners who declaw at the six month stage would never see the natural way a clawed cat calms down as they mature.

calm down my ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My cats range in ages from 8 years to 9 months. I wasted money on several of those so called alternatives and little suggestions, and when I have to replace my furniture every year, cause the cats tore it up. I chose the alternative.
    Toyna

I don't know what you tried however there are hundreds of possible solutions.

A good sturdy cat tree in the right location is the key. Here is our latest trees (big for our 8 furkids)
    http://www.declawing.co.uk/scratchingposttree.html

The tree needs to be in the correct location, ie close to where the cats sleep.

Allow for a full heigh scratch, without the tree wobbling.

All cats have different preferences to a 'good tree'

This varys :-

1 : As to size of tree

2 : As to orientation either vertical or horizontal

3: As to material solid wood, carpet, sisal rope, sisal material, cardboard

There are endless ways of encouraging scratching ON a post and discourage scratching elsewhere, I'm writing an article which I'll post when I have finished it.

absolutely AGAINST declawing a cat...how about detoothing a dog, or dewinging a bird, or definning a fish???...i have personally lived with 2 declawed cats (not together) and both had severe personality issues. one was so timid and afraid that it always hid, the other became a hisser, hissing at everything and a definite biter...it's like buying a dog and then not expecting it to bark...cats have claws and dogs have teeth, so deal with it or don't get the pet... (hope i am not being rude, i'm a little emotional on this issue)

I'm against declawing...one question...

I am TOTALLY against declawing cats - adopting cats that are already declawed is one thing, but declawing them after you adopt them is just unacceptable to me - that's my opinion, that's all.

That being said, I have a question - what would you guys recommend for my mom's new cat - here's the situation: she is the 2nd of their two cats - about 1 year and 5 months old - she came to live with them in Dec 2004. She is just now getting settled with her kitty brother and relaxing in her new home. My mom is starting to really appreciate the fact that she jumps on the couch and sits on her lap and my dad's lap - their other cat isn't much of a lap kitty. However, when she sits down, she really digs her claws in - not intentionally, but her claws seem to be extra long and sharp - even after a claw trim, which they try to do regularly, like my husband and I do with ours. I don't think soft claws is much of an option, b/c she still doesn't like to be picked up - just petted a lot and will sit with you. She really spazzes when someone picks her up even after over 2 months of being with them - they're having to give her meds for her eye (herpes?!?) and her respiratory infection right now which is really hard b/c she squirms so much. What is a good option for her claws? Mom & Dad don't want to declaw her - their other one isn't declawed (he's a polydactyl, in fact) - Mom's cat Missy was declawed (that was many years ago when it was always done) and got out one time and was viciously attacked by a dog with no defense mechanism (Mom still thinks Missy would've lived longer as a whole without that incident - she managed to live 5-10 years more after that, making it to 17) , was injured, and they regret it to this day.

Any suggestions for a cat who's trying to be sweet, but hurting my parents' laps at the same time?

Also, I have 4 cats, and while we trained Bailey to scratch posts when he was a baby, he still has one recliner he likes to scratch (mostly for attention). Leila came to us at 5 months and she is just nuts for sissal and cardboard scratching surfaces, so she's no problem. Leo came to us as a 1-2 year old boy, so it's been really tough with him - he's not much of a vertical scratching post guy - he likes the 2 cardboard things we have, but continues to scratch our recliner mostly, no matter what - sometimes our couch. Claudia mostly scratches what she's supposed to, but occasionally scratches furniture (like Bailey, for attention), and carpet a little, like Leila. Any suggestions for Leo & Bailey and the chair? We know we're going to have to reupholster it before too long - right now it's covered in sheets, but they still manage to scratch it a little. We've tried sticky paws (they scratch to the side of where we place them and they wear out quickly), the various sprays, etc. Nothing seems to deter them if they want to scratch badly enough.

I'd appreciate advice on Mom's cat and my boy cats, if anyone knows of anything.

Thanks to krazyaboutkatz for the cute avatar and wolf_Q for the cute siggy!

Rest in Peace, sweet Leo. You are sorely missed!
    Since I last posted, we have another new addition - Tabitha, as of fall 2008.

"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life -- music and cats."
    -- Albert Schweitzer --
    (Never has there been a more accurate statement!)

I would just fold a blanket several times and put across my lap before medicating the cat.

I am also against declawing. I have adopted 3 cats, all with their claws. We had an old couch which they ripped apart, along with the bed ruffle, the hopechest, the leather chair and more. We were buying new couches and started to get nervous that they would be ripped apart - but we did not want to declaw. We used everything recommended to us in order to lessen the scratching - the sprays, the nail covers, sticky paws, etc. Nothing worked for too long.

Our cats were not vertical scratchers either. We had a 3 foot post that they rarely used. We bought a 7 foot scratching post/cat tree. I was hoping that they would use it. Well, they live in it - they can jump, scratch (not just vertically). And if you spray catnip on it - that's a big help. :-) We also bought a smaller post and put it by the couches - and they use it, not the couches.

Another thing that seemed to help. When we first got the new couches, we were always watching the cats out of the corners of our eyes. When they did try to scratch (it is natural), we would say no and stop the paws before they started (gently of course). It seemed to work because they hardly ever scratch anything except the scratching posts and we can trust them without having to always keep an eye on them.

indoor kitties i am for it,but use the laser surgury option much more expensive but way faster healing time and only do the fronts.

outdoor kitties- i am against it. this is for both the outdoor and indoor/outdoor kitties the ones the go in and out.Because they need them to defend themselves from other cats and animals.