View Poll Results: Declawing: against or for?

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • Against

160 75.12%
  • For

35 16.43%
  • Not sure

15 7.04%
  • Don't know

3 1.41%
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Declawing: against or for?

declawing

My opinion is: It is not fair or humane. Imagine something larger than yourself deciding to have your fingers amputated at the last knuckle...Then they say "Oh, he is better off"....Please! If you have issues with cats clawing they make rubber tips for the claws...also scratch posts work...I trim my cats claws (I have 5) they cannot hurt eachother and my furniture is intact. I think people who declaw should have their fingers amputated at the last knuckle...I know this is a 'radical' statement but I have done much field study and have more love and respect for the feline species than the human.
    Lisa

Hi!

Hi, Lisa, welcome to Pet Talk! I'm david p and I live in Pittsburgh, Pa. I have two kitties that own me, Nikki, a tuxedo kitty, and Daisy, a tortoiseshell kitty. I volunteer with Cat Sense, a cat rescue organization in Pittsburgh. Both Nikki and Daisy are rescued kitties. There are pictures of them in my signature. You and I share the same view on declawing. There is only one reason to declaw that is to save the poor cat from pain. There is NO OTHER REASON to declaw.

Ditto, David, my sentiments exactly.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I don't know much about declawing, and well, I don't know to much about cats either however I do think it is a HORRIBLE alternative. If you don't want scratch marks on your furniture buy a cat beanie baby I guess it's kind of the same with dogs, if you don't want it barking, get a fish . I know people that have their cats declawed, they all say that they would never do it again, most of them didn't know about the pain it causes for the cat when they had it done. LIzzzy, sorry, but I am so dam happy you don't have a cat. Your furniture is NO excuse, thats sad and inhumane

I don't think people should immediately jump to conclusions as it's only wrong...like I believe in some special circumstances. Like mine for example. I feel all these comments directed at me and I wish I would stop looking here but I feel like crying whenever I'm reminded.

I understand everyone has their own opinions, that's totlaly fine with nme, but if you wish for your opinion to be accepted why can't you accept others as well? It's like yours is the only right one. (I'm not,btw, directing this at anyone. I've talked to some people about it more privately and am fine with them so I hope no one thinks I'm directing it) It's just in the past (even though they don't remember it Judging has been put on me and I don't like it. I just don't see why I should accept others opinions when no one will accept mine..And I know Carol knows what I ment, she said she understands but has her own believes and thats fine by me and what I mean. Where as some people set on declawing and they ARE right. That's final. Everyone else should go to h*ll.

AGAIN, I'm not trying to justify that declawing is right or good, I hate it probably more then most of you, I just believe under some circumstances it's better for the cat. I can honestly see how full shelters would/will get if/when declawing is banned completely. They will be PTS because people can't have a cat with claws and perhaps they're all together ignorant with finding alternatives. Again, doesn't make it right but that's how people are. Maybe they'd be better off dead, but I don't personally believe so. I'd be heartbroken if my mom made me give Kiba to the shelter cause I wouldn't have her declawed, and at her older age (IE not a kitten anymore) maybe no one would want her.

I'm sorry to keep at this but I don't know that I can give it up. I feel guilty and probably always will. It justs bugs me how everyone says it;s wrong no matter what. I don't think that's true. I'm not trying to be mean, and I'd never declaw a cat again, but there is still a lot of people who don't care. It saddens me this happens for no reason, but at the same time I'm equally, if not more sad that they'd be killed otherwise. No one seems to see my reason. It's like I'm calling out in the dark. In the other thread it didn't matter what I said I was down right cruel and hated. The words stuck with me, for one person especially. It hurts more to know she didn't even remember doing it or saying it. I'd like to get along with the person but I'm to cruel and don't deserve pets appearintly. Which is probably true.

Saying that, you can't judge someone from their typing. It only shows a portion of their personality. I'd much prefer to talk face to face with this persona nd others so my true feels maybe can be seen. I honestly don't think I'm such amean person...Maybe it's just me but I believe I love Kiba enough to make up for her lost claws. Also seeing the claw is retractable, it's not like it's necessary for walking or anything although I'm sure it feels weird without them. And worst of all, the pain.

Kiba has a huge home to rome in. She is kept inside but in the summer is allowed outside on a leash if I'm with her. She has regular vet checks and money is no problem if a health problem ever arises. She has endless amounts of comfortable places to sleep, sit, and look outside. She has a million toys, and most important, all the love she ever wants. Someone is always home, so she doesn't get lonely. My dad never leaves home, so if I ever am away she never has to leave to go to a kennel. Maybe her life would have been better with claws, but honestly, she seems pretty happy to me. She scratches at things as if she has claws. She climbs ANYTHING.

I'm willing to set up a webcam or even record her so people can see how horrible a life she is and how miserable she is.

Again, I'm really sorry I can't let go. I feel extremely hurt since that thread and I know I'm childish, but I have a lot to learn yet. Being depressed and having no self confidence doesn't help. Anything negative said to me is taken to heart and I will believe it because I don't feel anything positive about myself. Maybe if I got a long with a certain person I'd feel better, but I'm honestly probably going to be hated forever.

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

slleipnir,

I understand what your saying. I agree, if the only thing that is stopping a cat from finding his/her forever home is their claws then I believe its ok to declaw them. There are other exceptions. I know you must be a great cat owner. I understand where your coming from, and I accept your opionin.

Thank you joanofark for the great siggy

Originally posted by Mandy1
    I understand what your saying. I agree, if the only thing that is stopping a cat from finding his/her forever home is their claws then I believe its ok to declaw them.
    I disagree, a home which demands declawing before homing a cat is not a good home but a narrow minded OR uneducated one.

What happens if the cat does something worse than scratching, like weeing on the carpet. That cat would usually be shipped off to the shelter straight away as these homes which won't accept frayed sofa are unlikely to tolerate urine soaked sofas any better.

Please note that 60% of declawed cats send to shelters have developed urine based problems. So declawing failed these cats, they certainly didn't get a forever home due to declawing and then they have a much higher chance of being put to sleep, who wants a weeing cat ?!?

Owners need to be forced by law NOT to declaw while we educate them why declawing is pointless.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    slleipnir,

We chatted last year about your kitties in a friendly way.

As I said then.
    But you are a minor child, it was your mothers responsibility to declaw Kiba not yours, that is why I asked if your MUM had her declawed.
    Just remember what people hate is the fact that cats are declawed and the problems the cats develop and yes the people who have the facts and do it anyway. But this doesn't apply to you or your mum, as you didn't have the decision and your mum didn't have the facts.
    Declawing your cats was your mums decision and as a minor you could not have overuled her decision. You never wanted your cats declawed and tried to persuade your mum but she had made her mind up from day one and nothing you said or did would have changed that.

Please do not take declawing threads as a direct aim at you they are no such thing.

These threads IMO are to educate people with the facts so if they choose to go ahead with a declawing operation, they do so with the knowledge of what could happen to their cats and alternative solutions.

YOU didn't do anything wrong, so don't feel guilty. Your cats have good loving homes and you will love them for their lifetime without claws as much as you would have done with them.

Please do not feel bad love those kitties with a guilt free heart and give them a cuddle from me, they are very lucky cats.

PIF

PS. slleipnir, You said last year, you might be interested in writing an article for my declawing site at www.declawing.co.uk. I would still love your input if you had the time
    Last edited by PayItForward; 12-16-2004 at 02:34 AM.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PayItForward
    [B]I disagree, a home which demands declawing before homing a cat is not a good home but a narrow minded OR uneducated one.

What happens if the cat does something worse than scratching, like weeing on the carpet. That cat would usually be shipped off to the shelter straight away as these homes which won't accept frayed sofa are unlikely to tolerate urine soaked sofas any better.

Please note that 60% of declawed cats send to shelters have developed urine based problems. So declawing failed these cats, they certainly didn't get a forever home due to declawing and then they have a much higher chance of being put to sleep, who wants a weeing cat ?!?

Owners need to be forced by law NOT to declaw while we educate them why declawing is pointless.
    TE]

Well I don't know much about this since I've never had a cat but...I know many poeple that have declawed cat's that are always messing up their house however I know they would never think about giving them away...so no, not always.

Thank you joanofark for the great siggy

Audrey I think Jenny has put it into perspective for you,rid yourself of any guilt sweetie, it is time to do that, look at your babies and is that not all the proof you need, I know you take it to heart, and that is nothing to be ashamed of, that is part of being YOU , but you know in your heart ,your furbabies have a great home, and so do all of us.

As for that certain person, maybe you should Pm them and tell them exactly how you feel, and try and bury the hatchet so to speak, I know this person is very passionate about what they believe, but also has a heart of gold, and I donot believe for one moment they hate you, or have a personal grudge against you, but you need to talk to them about it ok , HUGS.

Audrey even I have stated there are always exceptions to the rule, personally i had problems with Lizzzzzy in this thread who made statements which would trigger anyone's emotions, without any thought or experience, a person who admitted to not owning a cat or even liking them, grrr...., but I am not going to continue to feed this persons need for attention, and I still believe they are nothing more than a troll.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

This is an open plea to any guest or member who is considering declawing their cat.

Please contact me or any other member of petalk for advice on training your cat to a post or overcoming other problems BEFORE you declaw your cat.

All I ask is that an effort is made to resolve the issues before resorting to declawing.

I promise I will remain helpful and friendly even if you decide to go ahead with the declawing.

PM me here or email me at [email protected] or post without registering on this section of the PIF Tails forum http://www.piftails.com/forum/upload...splay.php?f=22

Thank you

Hmm..well I AM old enough to move out, I COULD have taken Kiba but then she'd have a crappy life as I wouldn't be able to afford the life she has now. I feel bad cause I gave in to my mom when I should have stood up for her. At that time I have no alternatives so it is just as much my fault. I really don't know how that makes me narrowminded though..I just don't. Smitten was declawed a long time ago when I was a kid, then Kiba last year or whatever. Neither have any problems and you'd never know they were declawed IMO. That's not to say it's not possible. I would not give up my pet if they had blatter problems. I'd find someway to fix it.

Carole,I did talk with the person and we worked things out and agreed to just forget about this You were right.

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

Audrey I am very pleased to hear that, I knew the person was approachable and would never hate you.

Just wanted to add, I think when you live in your parents home, you kinda have to abide by their decisions, as you say you could have moved out, but the kitties life would not be near as good, so there is your answer in itself, maybe in your case it was the right decision, I don't really know.

You should really forgive yourself Audrey, and put it behind you now, and enjoy those special kitties of yours ok.
    Furangels only lent.

Normally, I would agree with the majority,but my current friend, Junior, was born with deformed paws. Rather than the normal 4 toes, he has only 2 per front paw, and the claws(4 of them) were growing thru the sides of the inner edge. He is a healthy, and active young boy otherwise, but was in great pain as his claws continued to grow inwards. We( the vet and I ) tried several alternatives, before the final decision was made.

Do I think it effected him? Yes, most definately. But for Junior's special case, it was in his best interest.

I think that in Junior's case, it was something that was medically neccesary to help him lead a normal life.

Hi, juniorsmom, welcome to Pet Talk. I'm davi p and I live in Pittsburgh, Pa I am a servant to two kitties. Nikki, a tuxedo kitty, and Daisy, a tortoiseshell kitty. Normally I would be against it also, however in Junior's case, to ease his pain I would do it. I would hate to see Junior suffer.