Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Name a City Game......... Geography anyone

NIEUWPOORT = a city at the Belgian coast
    Nieuwpoort is a municipality located in Flanders, one of the three regions of Belgium, and in the Flemish province of West Flanders. The municipality comprises the city of Nieuwpoort proper and the towns of Ramskapelle and Sint-Joris. On January 1, 2008 Nieuwpoort had a total population of 11,062. The total area is 31.00 km² which gives a population density of 350 inhabitants per km².

In Nieuwpoort, the Yser flows into the North Sea.

Trier- one of Germany's oldest cities with plenty of Roman ruins.
    R is next.

Rfd

Rockford, Illinois

Rockford is the second-largest city in Illinois, after Chicago. There is a beautiful Japanese garden there (Anderson Japanese Garden) and a lovely botanic garden. It's also got a nice museum campus - art museum/children's museum. You might remember the Rockford Peaches from the movie "A League Of Their Own" - that was a real team. Famous people from Rockford: Aidan Quinn, Jodi Benson, the band Cheap Trick, and DCI Division I champs the Phantom Regiment drum and bugle corps.

Next: D
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Damascus is the capital and largest city of Syria. It is the oldest continuously inhabited city in the world and its current population is estimated at about 1,669,000 The city is a governorate by itself, and the capital of the governorate of Rif Dimashq ("Rural Damascus").

=============================

Damascus, Virginia, Trail Town USA, is a small town in the Blue Ridge Mountains, and is the gateway to the Mount Rogers National Recreation Area.

It is traversed by the Appalachian Trail, the Virginia Creeper Trail, the Trans-America National Bicycle Trail, the Iron Mountain Trail, the Daniel Boone Trail, the Crooked Road Musical Heritage Trail, Virginia's Birding and Wildlife Trail, and lies within a short distance of hundreds of miles of other hiking, horse, and biking trails.

This was one of my favorite vacation spots for Mtn Biking.

next s
    Last edited by kokopup; 11-18-2009 at 05:58 AM.

S is for Saint-Petersburg, Russia and I have been there!

Saint-Petersburg was founded by Peter the Great. It was during a war with Sweden in 1703 that he chose the city as a vantage point to keep an eye on activity from the west. You can visit his fort, the Peter and Paul Fortress which is on the River Neva.

Here is a picture of the beautiful State Hermitage Museum.

Saint-Petersburg is built on hundreds of islands so there are many bridges in the city, each different from one another.

One more. Here is a picture of the Church of the Saviour on the Spilled Blood. This beautiful church is set along a canal about a block off of Nevsky Prospekt (which is a busy street like North Michigan Avenue in Chicago). You turn the corner off of Nevsky and this is what you see. Just gorgeous. I was there with a church work team in '98 and it was being restored, so we didn't see the inside, but the exterior (from every possible vantage point) is just breathtaking.

Saint-Petersburg has the "white nights" when it never gets really good and dark. We were there in mid-July, so it would be 9 PM or later, we'd be winding down for the evening or drinking coffee outside and it would be more like dusk than dark. It is a beautiful city and I would love to go there again.

source: http://www.saint-petersburg.com/

Next: G

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Gulf Shores is a coastal city in , Alabama, United States.

Gulf Shores is a seaside resorts in the state of Alabama. Most of the city is therefore devoted to beachfront hotels, condominiums, vacation houses and a tourism/real estate based economy. Because the Mississippi Gulf Coast is protected by barrier islands, Gulf Shores is one of only two resort cities with a large beach, fronting the Gulf of Mexico between New Orleans, Louisiana and Florida. The adjacent resort city of Orange Beach offers direct access to the Gulf of Mexico for vessels, via Perdido Pass.

Unincorporated Ft. Morgan, the City of Gulf Shores and the City of Orange Beach are contiguous from west to east. The Intracoastal Waterway forms a canal starting at Mobile Bay to the west, and cuts through to the east, into Wolf Bay, forming an island. The beach from Ft. Morgan to Perdido Pass is about 30 miles (48 km) long. From there, a bridge connects Orange Beach to Perdido Key, Alabama which continues to the Florida state line.

The Alabama Gulf Coast beach is known for its bright, "sugar white" quartz sand. Although quite abrasive to CDs, sunglasses etc., it is powdery, soft and comfortable to the feet. The Gulf of Mexico waters along the beachfront tend to have an emerald green tint due to the close proximity of the Mobile Bay estuary to the west, where the Mobile river meets the Gulf of Mexico.

This is one of my favorite summer vacation spots, because during the winter months it is taken over by SNOW BIRDs, Mostly Canadian, that flock there in ever growing numbers.

Next S

Springfield ... is the capital of Illinois. President Lincoln lived there for 6 years and President Obama announced his candidacy there. If ever you get the chance to visit, please do. The new Lincoln museum and library opened in 2005 and it's really impressive. Lincoln's home is a national historic site run through the National Park Service. The Dana-Thomas House has one of the best collections of Frank Lloyd Wright's furniture designs. Then go to the cemetery, rub the nose on the bust of Lincoln outside his tomb, and have a horseshoe sandwich http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoe_sandwich. I like Springfield a lot!

Next: D

Dakar is the capital city of Senegal, located on the Cape Verde Peninsula, on the country's Atlantic coast. It is Senegal's largest city. Its position, on the western edge of Africa (it is the westernmost African city), is an advantageous departure point for trans-Atlantic and European trade; this fact aided its growth into a major regional port.

Dakar used to be the end point to "The Paris-Dakar" off road race. The race was forced to move to South America because of Political Instability in Africa. The race Will continue in South America in 2010 now called just "The Dakar".

Next R

Reykjavik - a city in Iceland, and a good place to flee to in case of nuclear holocaust, as it is largely powered by geothermal energy, so could run greenhouses to grow food anyway, even if the outside world was locked in nuclear winter. See, my science fiction reading HAS taught me important things! Iceland is also such an isolated place that it is a interesting place for genetic studies, as there is a relatively small gene pool compared to "melting pots" like America, and Western Europe, and much of the geneology is written down since families arrived there. I have never been to Reykjavik, but my brudder, Lady's Human, has!

K is next!
    I've Been Frosted

Kitty Hawk is a town North Carolina, United States.

Kitty Hawk became famous after the Wright brothers from Dayton, Ohio selected a remote, barren nearby site upon which to make their first controlled powered airplane flights on December 17, 1903. The site, four miles (six kilometers) to the south near the sand dunes known as the Kill Devil Hills, was selected only because of the consistent, reliable winds and the privacy that the desolate area provided. With that small part done, the Wright Brothers returned once again to Dayton to resume their research and experiments.

The aircraft carrier USS Kitty Hawk (CV-63), the B-2 Spirit stealth bomber AV-19, the aircraft transport ship USS Kitty Hawk (AKV-1), and the Apollo 14 command module have been named for the town.

I can verify that the wind on these barrier Islands is relentless. I have tried bike riding and hang gliding and the wind made both impossible. All of the trees
    on the island lean to the west looking somewhat like The Leaning Tower of Pisa.

Next K

Kankakee, Illinois

Kankakee is a city in Illinois. It's south of Chicago along Interstate 57, part of the "tri cities" of Kankakee, Bradley and Bourbonnais. The movies "Chain Reaction" and "Road to Perdition" were partially filmed there. Some famous people born in Kankakee: actor Fred Mac Murray; Harold Gray, the creator of Little Orphan Annie; and Tyjuan Hagler, who plays football for Indianapolis Colts. Ex-Governor of Illinois George Ryan also got his political start out of Kankakee County - he's the one who instituted the moratorium on the death penalty, but then was convicted because of a scandal involving bribes for commercial drivers' licenses resulting in unqualified people driving trucks.

Next: E

Edam is a city in the Dutch province of Noord-Holland, Netherlands. Around 7,380 people live in Edam. The name Edam originates from a dam on the little river E or IJe where the first settlement was located and which was therefore called IJedam.

The city of Edam was founded around a dam crossing the river E or IJe close by the Zuiderzee now known as the IJsselmeer in Around 1230.

Edam is famous as the original source of the cheese with the same name.

I spent some time in the Netherlands back in the early 60's ,while in the Navy , when The Zuiderzee (South Sea) was an inland salt water extension of the North Sea. When I returned in the late 90's the Salt water Sea had been seperated from the North Sea and converted to a fresh water lake.

Next M

They sell Edam cheese here also, but I prefer cheddar.

Madrid is the capital of Spain. It's a wonderful city and has a population of 3.213.000. Madrid is located on the river Manzanares in the centre of both the country and the Community of Madrid (which comprises the city of Madrid, its conurbation and extended suburbs and villages); this community is bordered by the autonomous communities of Castile and León and Castile-La Mancha. As the capital city of Spain, seat of government, and residence of the Spanish monarch, Madrid is also the political centre of Spain.

Furthermore, Madrid has some of the best tapas bars in the world!

Next is D.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Düsseldorf- it is the city that has the biggest Japanese population in Germany

Barbara
    Düsseldorf- it is the city that has the biggest Japanese population in Germany
    Great shopping, and I'm not even a shopper

Frankfurt am Main -------- Known in US as Frankfurt only

Frankfurt, is the largest city in the German state of Hesse and the fifth-largest city in Germany,
    with a population of about 670,000.

In English, this city's name translates into "Frankfurt on the Main" (pronounced like "mine"). A part of early Franconia, the inhabitants were the early Franks. The city is located on an ancient ford on the river Main, the German word for which is "Furt". Thus the city's name receives its legacy as being the "ford of the Franks".

Next T
    Last edited by kokopup; 11-29-2009 at 03:07 PM.