Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does your cat act when he/she sniffs catnip?

How does your cat act when he/she sniffs catnip?

Mittens usually attacks her scratch post and bounces off the walls....literally!

Joy and rapture!!!

Livvy is cautious and carefully sniffs around the edges before she joyously leaps in and rolls in it.

Cassy races into the middle and wriggles and wallows in it. He's very jealous of the 'pile' and gets a little mean spirited: tries to chase the other off and they have a loud tussle. "Mean drunk" syndrome...

Much happiness on both kids' sides when Mommy spreads the green.

Fun question!
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Same here...bounces off the walls.... then they tear around the house... sometimes fight... then settle down with that glazed look intheir eyes.

Former User Guest
    Believe it or not, we haven't found catnip yet just have one toy that has catnip in it, and when we pull it out, boy those two go nuts! They both try to get that toy no matter what it takes, so I guess it's safe to assume they are nuts about catnip

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)

Catnip Junkies

Rudie loves his catnip bags. He takes them between his paws and rubs his face.

Eddy only has interest when the bags are new.

But, they like Valerian better. Every now and then I put some on their scratching post and then they both have a nice 'high' time.

All four of mine like fresh catnip. (It grows in the yard and in pots outside.) Tiger sniffs and plays with it, then departs. Purrdie and Spot eat it after rubbing their heads on it. Buster rolls in it, then takes over whatever is on the floor. When we had a potted plant inside, Spot and Buster would play hide and seek in it. Later, Buster took it over and urinated in the middle of the plant.

I also grow it in the yard and I have two cats with two different reactions. Trevor rolls in it and gets very mellow and glassy-eyed. Andy rolls in it and turns into my hyperactive little boy, attacking it and bouncing off the walls. They both wind up fast asleep soon afterwards.

Catnip sockies!

I make catnip sockies for my bunch. Just take an old sock (clean of course) and put some catnip in and tie it shut. If there is a hole in the toe, just tie it there, add catnip, then tie again. I made the mistake of only making one the first time because my "senior citizen", Leroy wouldn't want to play. Was I wrong. He zoomed out from behind the furnace and stole it from under Chester and Leroy's noses. I wised up and made one for each kitty. I had sockies flying past my nose while I was on the computer. They loved to throw them. Funny thing, when they all pooped out for a nap, Leroy had all the sockies and was sleeping with them. Never count an older cat out, huh?

My mom has a plant at her house, and everytime I visit, or if she comes to visit me, I come home with some real live catnip.

My two just love it.

Peanut, who is more wary of everything, sniffs it first, then proceeds to roll and roll and roll, then off to the couch for a good solid nap.

Tubby dives right in and rolls in it, then eats it, then proceeds to throw up an hour or two later, so he doesn't get it much anymore. Poor Tubby doesn't get much besides cat food anymore because of his failing kidneys. I used to bring Tubby with me when I visited my mom, and let him outside on a leash. He would immediately head for the catnip plant and roll around and eat to his heart's content. He'd then end up passed out, right in the middle of the squashed down plant. But catnip is like a weed and the very next day it would be back to normal and he'd have at it again.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Re: Joy and rapture!!!

Originally posted by AmberLee
    ...He's very jealous of the 'pile' and gets a little mean spirited: tries to chase the other off and they have a loud tussle. "Mean drunk" syndrome...

I've noticed that my Marius does this too. He actually gets vocal when I pull out the fresh nip!! He jumps to try and reach for it when I'm carrying it into the family room. He really likes munching on it, then rolling around...but he does get a bit mean with Scooter! He'll bat at Scooter if he gets too close...so I try and rub the fresh nip in two separate locations on the floor so each can have a 'carpet nip rubdown' to themselves!! LOL LOL Marius gets that spaz cat attitude, whereas Scooter really just likes to rub himself on/in it. (Scooter looks like he's on a permanent cat-nip high on a day to day basis though!! LOL LOL) It is funny how they react to it! OMG I'm drugging my cats!! LOL LOL It is a nice treat every once in awhile Gotta love those antics!!

Karen, confession time here! I did drug Andy one day with catnip on purpose! I was trying to hem a pair of slacks and he kept batting at my thread. After messing up my thread and causing me to stick my finger I got the bright idea to go outside and cut some catnip. He met me at the back door meowing wildly when he saw what was in my hand! LOL! He went into his little catnip frenzy and wound up asleep (sleeping it off I guess LOL!) and the pants were finished with no interruptions!!

Hello Hayley and welcome!

What a fun topic - and it's really good to know how daft everyone elses furkids are with catnip!!

We have to store our catnip in a glass jar with a screw top - to keep Dan out of it!!!
    He absolutley adores it - rolls in it - eats it - sniffs it - washes his face in it - then sits with the glazed eyes and a very angelic smile on his face - until he falls asleep! And boy does he sleep!! He once overdosed and went MAD for about 4 hours - then slept for two days!!!

Ketchum loves the 'magic green' too - and if it's not sprinkled quickly enough - he dips his paw in the jar and simply helps himself - flicking huge pawsful all over the carpet and lies in it till sleep overtakes him!!

Bagel funnily enough isn't bothered one bit by the 'magic green' and cannot understand why the boys adore the stuff like they do!!!!

Lynne

Momoffuzzyfaces, what a great idea ! Tinky has a mouse that is made to be filled with catnip. She really brightens up when I bring it out, she batts it in the air and bites and licks on its fur. I keep it put up and bring it out for a while everyday (don't want her to get addicted LOL).

Spencer those little men are absolutely wonderful!!! Must be the little men that only the Kitties can see!

They are great!

Ooh, we used to have a HUGE bush at our old house and the cats LOVED it! I think they used to snack every day!! If we went round to that side of the house (far from where we were staying) they would climb in, eat STACKLOADS and then act like maniacs! Felix, my older cat would sit on the driveway with hers ears back and her eyes half closed and we would call her "space-cat"!!!

I really must buy another bush...