Thread: dandruff is out of control

dandruff is out of control

My boys have always had dandruff, but Rocky is getting seriously out of control. I've changed their food, I give them wet food weekly to supplement the dry, I've tried adding tuna juice and fish oil to their food... I'm out of ideas.
    What can we do to help rocky with his flakes?

Speckles has the same thing. Once a week I squeeze a low-dose Vitamin E capsule in her food. It seems to help somewhat but does not eliminate it completely.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

What really helped Tubby - after 17 years of dandruff - was brushing him regularly with the shedding blade that was discussed here. Any other brush really brings up the dandruff, but the shedding blade not only doesn't bring it up, but it seems to eliminate it all together. Tubby's coat has seriously never looked better than it does now. I don't know how often you brush Rocky, but this might help until you find another solution.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Debbie: I wish I could use that on Specks but every time I pick up the brush or comb she runs for cover. She absolutely HATES it with a passion so I have no other choice. Her coat looks awful right now so I just do the best that I can.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

try the vitamin e

I've heard this works. Get it in a palatable form- seems the capsules with fish oil would be best bet. You don't need to squeeze the whole capsule out- just some and you don't need to buy the high dosage expensive caps- try the low dose (I'm just guessing here- those who know about dosages correct me but it seems that lowest is fine).
    pixie

Mystic has really bad dandruff so I try to groom her as often as possible. At first she was not very receptive to the grooming but Mystic finally realized that it actually helped her and made her fell better.

I think kitty dandruff is probally like human dandruff and it probally itches. Mystic loves to be groomed now....she actually will beg for a groom session.

I use a flea comb, a slicker bruch, and an ergonomic shedding blade all of which I got from Drs. Foster and Smith.

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08