Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Morning After Pill may soon be OTC. Thoughts?

Originally posted by micki76
    True, but if you have unprotected sex or condom failure you should certainly suspect there could be a pregnancy. Of course if using another form of BC, it would take longer to know that it failed.
    In theory yes. I have several friends who have kids now because of condom failures, and they sure never knew...
    but in general, yeah, we agree in concept.
    -babolaypo

Only that which is the other gives us fully unto ourselves.
    -Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin

Originally posted by Soledad
    But, wait!!

The new legislation makes no allowances for women whose lives are endangered by the pregnancy. So, if you're past 14 weeks and you are faced with dying or aborting, you can kiss yourself goodbye!

Progress??
    Soledad, you are right, there is arguement for that kind of allowance.

But I'd like to ask a question to all the moms out there. I am not a mother nor have I ever been pregnant, so this is purely an inquisitive question. If you are a pregnant woman carrying a child you want to have would you abort the child if you were in danger? Clearly, that is the sensible choice, but I'm just asking from the point of view of a mother protecting her child. Is it not true that the mother/child bond is that of life and death. Won't most any mother lay down her life to save her child? If that is the case, how does that fall into the arguement of abortions to save the life of the mother?

I know two women who've had to make that choice. Thankfully, they chose their own lives. But I know it was a horrible decision for them.

Originally posted by Soledad
    I know two women who've had to make that choice. Thankfully, they chose their own lives. But I know it was a horrible decision for them.
    I can't even imagine how hard it would be. I feel very fortunate I've never been in the postion to deal with any type of abortion decision. It must be heart wrenching.

I've had a baby and I've had an abortion. Both decisions were the right ones for me and I regret neither. I would be damned if I would have allowed anyone else to make such a decision for me.

It would be a horrible choice, still if the mother dies so does the baby!

Maybe soon there will be a way to keep a non-viable tiny one alive and developing with some kind of life support, so cesareans before 8 months would not kill them. I'm sure there is research going on.

Originally posted by lbaker
    I've had a baby and I've had an abortion. Both decisions were the right ones for me and I regret neither. I would be damned if I would have allowed anyone else to make such a decision for me.
    I am thankful every day that I've never had to make the choice you made. And equally thankful I can call it a choice.

(thanks for posting that )
    -babolaypo

Only that which is the other gives us fully unto ourselves.
    -Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin

I still think American's need to open their eyes to sex education and birth control. Abstinence, while a good idea, is not the only choice and it's time teenage girls AND BOYS were made aware of birth control and safe sex options. There are plenty of schools who do not talk about sex, do not educate about sex. Parents are just not doing it. Plenty of parents simply tell their kids not to do it. Well, DUH!
    If it were up to me, condoms would be available anywhere you want to get them no matter who you are.