Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fohnetiklee Speeking

i noticed people pronounce collie different i pronouce it caw-lee, but i have heard lots of people pronounce it c-oh-lee
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

I can't think of anything right off, but I know I have some lol. My dad gets annoyed if I don't use proper grammer or speak right and tells me to say it right -__-'

My niece says pillow - pal-oh :X My moms roommate says wash -war-sh, the letter h - hay-ch...oh I could go on and on with my moms roommate..only its more along the lines she just doesn't know the proper word or something..and shes like 40 something -__-' Like, extinct, she says destinct..:X Giraffe is like draft, only spelt graphitti..LOL Anywho that has nothing to do with this topic..

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

Originally posted by cali
    i noticed people pronounce collie different i pronouce it caw-lee, but i have heard lots of people pronounce it c-oh-lee
    Everyone over here pronounces it Call-ee.

Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
    Everyone over here pronounces it Call-ee.
    That's how I say it too.

This thread is funny! My dad says a lot of things different.........

Like, he calls tofu *Too foo*

and he calls Soybean *Soya bean*

I pronounce it Call-ee as well.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Twisterdog, here is a short version, from Reader's Digest "Success With Words, A Guide To The English Language",1983.

"There are two major divisions of dialect, sociolinguistic and linguistic geography. The first studies the language varieties of various social groups, the second studies the language variety of a particular region of a country.

"In the US the larger divisions of regional dialect are Northern, North Midland, South Midland, Southern, and Western. These are further divided into Hudson Valley, Inland Northern, New England, New York City, Pacific Northwest, Pacific Southwest, Rocky Mountain, Southwestern, Virginia Piedmont, Coastal Southern, Gulf Southern, and South Midland."

There are lots of smaller divisions, too; in NYC it's easy to tell who is from the Bronx or Joisey. Everyone can tell a Minnesota accent from a Chicago accent. etc.

Well, I think I'll go fix a gorilla cheese sanwhich!

Here are two more examples - the words "often" and "nuclear".

Peter Jennings says off-ten. I was taught in school that often was an example of a word with a silent letter, pronounced off-en.

"Oft" is an Old English usage.

I avoid speaking the word and say "frequently" instead.
    _

Our President says nuke-you-lure. Anyone that's ever taken chemistry or physics and knows what a nuke-lee-us is, says nuke-lee-are.

I hope he doesn't push that button!