Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: warning Creepy Crawly??

Originally posted by WolfChan
    I agree, and thus I haven't sent in any of my pets. I would like to see Chubby up there though, so who knows...
    That makes me sad! They get their icon with the picture on the "previous pets page and everything, it's just on the homepage of Dog and Cat where Chubby wouldn't get her image. Shouldn't she get a chance to be honored as her sweet slithery self?

"Creepy crawly" isn't meant to be insulting ... do not human infants creep and crawl? And people usually think they're cute ...

Phobias can be hard for those of us without them to understand, but it doesn't make them any less real. We initially did not do the special icon for snakes and spiders, but we got emails from people very sadly asking if we could, because it made them afraid to visit the Dog of the Day or Cat of the Day site on the chance they might accidentally see an image of a snake/spider.

I personally think spiders and snakes are way cool. I have a snake, actually.

However, there are some things I don't necesarily want to see - like certain insects. I can't help it, it's just how I am. It's not like I'm intentionally out to hurt insect owners feelings or anything. So, I can understand people with snake/spider phobias a little better, I suppose.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I think the warning is kind of rude, but that's my opinion. People are well aware that snakes and spiders are kept as pets, so they should be aware that they could also be a PET of the day...

Usually from the small pic it's very easy to tell what kind of animal it is.

Originally posted by wolf_Q
    I think the warning is kind of rude, but that's my opinion. People are well aware that snakes and spiders are kept as pets, so they should be aware that they could also be a PET of the day...

Agreed.

I would be very insulted if I sent in a picture of my beloved pet and they were labeled a "creepy crawly".
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Originally posted by wolf_Q

Um.... it's the fact it's easy to tell what the animal is from the picture is WHY people get anxious. Because, as Karen says, it's people who DON'T go to Pet of the Day that don't want to be shocked by a potentially frightening animal.

Bart and Wiggum:
    In the Spotlight

So a little tiny thumbnail size image is going to frighten people?

If you can tell the image is a snake from a thumbnail size, it's simple enough to not click on it.

I guess I really cannot relate. I like snakes, but for the most part I'd prefer not to touch them. Spiders, they can stay completely away from me at all costs. But would I be frightened by an image? Not at all. But that's just me, I guess I just cannot relate to people with severe enough phobias to be frightened by a very small picture.

Yes, well, unfortunately, I do get frightened by even the smallest picture of a spider. I have to regulate my breathing just to stay calm, lol. You can imagine my reaction when, while looking at hermit crabs in a pet store, I realized that I was standing next to the tarantula cage.... kinda off topic there, lol. And a full sized picture of one.... enough to convince me that every tickle is a spider crawling up my leg/ in my hair.

P.S. No offence to the spider owners out there, I am sure they are great pets, and one post on the "Is there any pet you would NEVER want to have?" thread has proved that to me. However, I am scared to death of spiders, and all arachnids for that matter, that unfortuantely can't be helped.

Just saying I understand.

P.P.S. Sorry for the long post.

Bart and Wiggum:
    In the Spotlight

I'm still thinking on it. I DO want to see her up there. Maybe I'll put a disclaimer in the writing that she is NO creepy crawly!

Edit: I'm phobic about Dalmatians, so let's put a warning on them too. ^_- (Seriously, I do get wierd around Dals. They're wonderful dogs I'm sure, but all the ones in my old neighborhood hated me, and loved showing how much they hated me.)

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Originally posted by WolfChan
    I'm still thinking on it. I DO want to see her up there. Maybe I'll put a disclaimer in the writing that she is NO creepy crawly!

Edit: I'm phobic about Dalmatians, so let's put a warning on them too. ^_- (Seriously, I do get wierd around Dals. They're wonderful dogs I'm sure, but all the ones in my old neighborhood hated me, and loved showing how much they hated me.)
    hahahahahhaa!!!

honestly I get a lil creeped out when I see cats on catoftheday. I never read about them. I am scared of cats, I am even scared of my own cat!!! Why isnt there a (creepy crawly) warning on that?? Some ppl have really big fears of dogs and cats....
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Some ppl have really big fears of dogs and cats....
    I have a friend that goes hysterical around dogs. It's really sad. The first time I saw her do it, I thought she was joking or being lame. But I soon realized that this is a major fear to her.

In "real life" I am deathly afraid of spiders. However, I think that if I saw a icon of a tarantula on the computer I would probably be ok. Maybe get some chills, but at least I know it's not in the same room as me. I think it's great that there is a POTD so people can show of their unusual pets! Some people are very brave, I don't think I could share a home (voluntarily, I like to think there are no spiders in my house) with a huge spider.

Good point about people being afraid of dogs and cats. On Halloween night a boy came to my house and when I opened the door with Ruby by my side, he took one look at Ruby and started screaming bloody murder and went running back down to the street! I felt bad

Also, when my mom was growing up one of her friend's parents owned like 10 Boston terriers. I guess they were really mean dogs and whenever my mom went over to their house they would always be barking and biting at her! To this day my mom is terrified of Boston terriers. She knows they're not all are like that, but if she ever comes across one at the dog park or some other place she keeps a big distance from them.

Thanks for the signature & avatar kfamr

Believe it or not, I'm scared of dogs.........VERY scared of dogs. When we go for a walk, and I see one loose from a mile away, I will turn around and take another road. I'm *that* scared. I wish I could get over my fear somehow. I'm not afraid of any of my neighbors' dogs at all.........because they know us, and I know them. They're very sweet and never *chase* anyone or anything. I'm not afraid of *calm* dogs that just walk around and don't chase people. Bring a dog that will chase me though..........and I scream and RUN. Silly me.

As for the warning........I am afraid of snakes, but honestly, I do think the warning is insulting to the owners as well.

Originally posted by popcornbird
    As for the warning........I am afraid of snakes, but honestly, I do think the warning is insulting to the owners as well.
    Im afraid of snakes too, and I agree that it is a bit insulting for the owner.

Well, this thread has got me thinking.... maybe it would be better if there were only links and not thumbnail pictures on the other sites going to Pet/Cat/Dog of the Day so no one would be offended and no one would be scared. Just a thought.....

Bart and Wiggum:
    In the Spotlight

good idea! Maybe have a "Today's pet is a "_____" for people who don't want to see my baby girl. ^.^

Thank you Wolf_Q!