20 68.97%
  • Not yet, I will be getting them though

2 6.90%
  • I didn't get braces, but I wish I would have

2 6.90%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you have braces?

Originally posted by Twisterdog
    I never had braces, I have those naturally straight teeth that people want to slap me for.

My son has had braces for years, though. He was supposed to have them off by now, but he refuses to wear his elastics, so it is dragging it out longer.

So, wear your elastics, kids!
    AMEN to that!!! My eldest daughter got her braces on AFTER my son, and they came off EARLIER 'cos she was much more disciplined with the elastics, and the headgear at night. My son's had to be taken off because he wasnt taking care of them - not flossing properly, and eating all the wrong foods, thus breaking the wires all the time, and his teeth were going to end up permanently discoloured due to not flossing He will have to try again when he's older, but the older you are the longer it takes!!

I also had braces when I was a teenager, and my youngest daughter will be getting hers done next year. (Poor kids inherited my teeth)

I have actually thought about getting mine done again (I still have Bunny Teeth despite the braces), but my husband is agaist it. There are new linear ones which go ON THE BACK of the teeth, but they don't suit everyone!

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

I have to get them......(psst Julie, Does it hurt when they put them on you)???)

Originally posted by Amber
    I have to get them......(psst Julie, Does it hurt when they put them on you)???)
    Nope, not at all. But afterwards...yes. The day you're going in to get them on, make sure you take Tylenol. They usually don't put them on all at once, like they'll put the upper brackets on one week, and the bottom the next. I had everyting put on me all at once, because my mom wanted to get it done quicker. I also had to get 2 baby teeth pulled, because they never fell out. If you end up getting teeth pulled, don't worry!! It doesn't hurt AT ALL. I also have a baby tooth that doesn't have a permanent tooth under it, so I will have to have an implant put in someday. Mine hurt for about a week, and then it went back to normal. A few days before they put the braces on, they put in things called "spacers", to make room in the teeth. They look like little rubber bands that go around a few of your teeth. (I had 4 put in, they put them in all the corners of my mouth.) Those don't hurt at all, but can be kind of annoying.
    Then, they explain the care of your teeth, like flossing, brushing, the foods you can't eat, etc...Oh, and make sure you store up on wax!! I needed TONS of it. It helps make the pain go away, when they first put them on, or after they tighten them for the first time.
    Braces aren't really that bad...I mean, you learn to live with them.
    If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me!
    Last edited by GoldenRetrLuver; 11-04-2003 at 04:48 PM.

Originally posted by Amber
    Got mine off about 25 years ago now. And the thing I remember most is that the day I got them on wasn't bad at all, but about a week before they went in and put "spacers" in - between my teeth - to make sure there was room for the braces I suppose - but that hurt like h-e double hockey sticks! After a week of that getting the actual braces was a breeze.

And then every month getting them tightened was a pain, but it wasn't that bad because I got to get out of school for it. And I agree Tylenol should do the trick.
    I do not currently have braces, but I did my stint - 2 years, two months and 14 days or so ...

Boy Karen, must have been quite the experience if you can remember down to the day how long you had them on! I had mine for a little over 2 years. Got them off right before my senior pictures were taken...if I remember right. They are a pain while you have them, but the results are so worth it.

A friend of mine didn't have them as a teenager, but when she was in her early 30's she was debating whether to get them or not. She asked my opinion and my response was "You'll never regret spending money on your teeth." So she went ahead with it and is glad she did. So babolaypo65, I say go for it. You will never regret it. And this isn't a "vain" sort of thing to do like some plastic surgery. This will benefit your dental health the rest of your life.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Had braces.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Never had 'em, don't need 'em now. Thank God.

Don't have them now, but I had them when I was younger

I had them put on on my 6th birthday and taken off on my 13th. That's right, 7 years! I had some serious issues in my mouth. But my teeth are still straight, 12+ years after having them taken off.

I don't remember them hurting so much but my teeth were sore, especially after having them tightened.

One recommendation for those about to get them. If you have a strong gag reflex, don't eat the day they put them on, the day they take them off, or anytime you have impressions made. I wish someone had told me to my mother that before I had my first impressions done.

I got mine off.

Got a need for speed, and a passion for barrel racing.

You've never ridden a horse until you've fallen off.

Adopt one until theres none.

Yeah I wore them for about 6 years. I *really* needed them too so now I am so proud of my smile.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

i had them

yes i have had them but for a very short term my upper teeth needed straighting out so i got braces for that.like many others said their not fun but their worth it.take care

truffles

Nope, I'm very proud of how straight my teeth are. I will need to get my wisdom teeth pulled however.
    I've been BOO'd!

Unfortunately, yes I got them about a month ago i think...but first, they had to pull out one tooth first. It killed!!!OMG, I felt like fainting because it was jurting so bad. I hate pulling teeth out, that was my first time. Then I got the braces They didn't hurt as much as I'd thought, but I hate them still. It felt so different, and there's tons of things I can't eat. But I'm only having them for 1 and a half years Can't wait till they come off! lol
    - - Tiffany && Blueberry - -

Originally posted by bluekat
    Unfortunately, yes I got them about a month ago i think...but first, they had to pull out one tooth first.
    Oh, forgot to mention that part. I had to have either 2 or 4 teeth pulled (don't remember for sure). I don't remember it hurting, but I do remember the big gaping holes that I just couldn't stop playing with with my tongue. They said they needed to pull the teeth because that way there would be room for my wisdom teeth - still have those. Must be why I'm so wise.....yeah right!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Owwwwwwww

I'm a braces wearer and I had an apointment yeasterday, OWWWW is all I can say

Owww,
    Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka