Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: harmful foods???

Oh - I tried to read it but it was "inaccessible". Sorry for misquoting you. But all those people who use the BARF diet feed raw bones all the time, and they say they it's safe. ?? Maybe it would be safer just to stay away from bones altogether.

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

raw bones are completely safe, COOKED bones splinter cooked bones are brittle, raw bones are soft and pliable, and if someone does not feel comforable feeding raw bones they can always be ground up.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

I guess none of us can really prove whether raw or cooked bones are safe. There are risks when feeding anything to your dog though...even kibble. It's not exactly something you hear every day that a dog just died from choking on kibble..but it's always a very very very small possibility.

I've stopped with feeding kai bones for now. I want to have more vet opinions first before I continue...so I'm feeding Innova.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Originally posted by cali
    raw bones are completely safe, COOKED bones splinter cooked bones are brittle, raw bones are soft and pliable, and if someone does not feel comforable feeding raw bones they can always be ground up.
    These are all X-rayed pictures of dogs who have eaten raw bones.

Bones break, whether they are cooked or raw...Some dogs have jaw strength rates of 2000 pounds per square inch. 2000 pounds is enough to break and splinter any bone.
    I've been BOO'd!

More...

I've been BOO'd!

WOW!!! Those pics are pretty severe. It does make you wonder, after seeing those pics, if raw bones are safer...hmmmmmmmm...i will put some thought into it.... thanks for posting.

Robyn

Thanks for posting the x-rays. Are those the ones you had tried to link to before?

I have just noticed how much Max LOVES to eat them - it seems like he has a craving for them. Maybe it's a craving for calcium? He could probably get that from other sources.

Any seasoned table food is bad. My dogs never get table food. Also to many milk bones can be bad. Think about a snickers candy bar one milkbone is the same So if you feed 4 milkbones to your dog it is like you eating 4 snicker candy bars. sounds fatting to me. but I do like snickers just not 4 at one time. I feed my dogs baby carrots for treats and they love them and it is healthy for them

Originally posted by stacwase
    Thanks for posting the x-rays. Are those the ones you had tried to link to before?
    Yes, those are the pics I was trying to show your before. I really wish that there was a 100% safety factor in feeding bones, I think that would be great, but I belive it is just too risky. I think that nylon bones would be safer.

I was researching on bones a while back, and I read that sled dogs are fed a huge tub of fish slop, still with the bones in it, and when they were all done, you would see that all of the slop would be gone, but all the bones would be in the tub still. They have the instinct not to eat them. I've also read that many people argue that wolves eat bones, and it is good for them -- but how often do you see a wolf, let alone a healthy one? I read that when 27 wolves were taken from the wild, all 27 of them tested positive for heartworm. And if a wolf is very hungry, they may dispatch of their dead packmate, so you'd never be able to tell if it died from bones or not. There is also barely any nutritional value..some calcium, and some protien from the marrow. But you have to be careful not to give too much calcium anyways, because you may risk making the calcium intake to much higher that the phosphorus intake and completely mess up a dog's health.
    I've been BOO'd!

Yeah - I don't think wolves livespans are very long in the wild, because of all the hardship they endure. Where I live, we do see them very frequently but most are young. The biggest one I've ever seen was around 110-120 lbs but most are only around 70-80 lbs. So saying it's OK for a dog to eat something, just because wolves do, doesn't make sense. Thanks again for the x-rays.

Some more helpful articles on this topic...

What NOT to Feed Your Pet:
    http://www.vetcentric.com/magazine/m...?ARTICLEID=930

Human Foods that are “Safe” to Sneak to Your Pet:
    http://www.vetcentric.com/magazine/m...?ARTICLEID=747

WARNING: Grapes Could Kill Your Dog:
    http://www.vetcentric.com/magazine/m...ARTICLEID=1394
    Last edited by Kater; 09-14-2003 at 02:45 PM.

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

Chocolate!!!!!

Onions..........

Tooth past lol

I am not sure what eles..
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

I read somewhere that tomatoes are bad for dogs.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

I forgot to mention raw egg whites -- dogs can't digest them, and when they are served without the yolk, they bind biotin and make it unusable to the body.
    I've been BOO'd!

Originally posted by oodlesofpoodles
    Also to many milk bones can be bad. Think about a snickers candy bar one milkbone is the same So if you feed 4 milkbones to your dog it is like you eating 4 snicker candy bars. sounds fatting to me. but I do like snickers just not 4 at one time. I feed my dogs baby carrots for treats and they love them and it is healthy for them
    I've never heard anything about milkbones being that bad or fattening to dogs. Do you have more info on this? I give Nebo one large milkbone in his kong every day, as well as half a small one in each bowl of food. He's certainly not fat.