Thread: Buddy's Afraid of my Hubby Still!!!

Buddy's Afraid of my Hubby Still!!!

I have such a problem..... its been going on since we first got Buddy!

Buddy is SOOOOOO afraid of Rick (my hubby) Buddy will not be in a small room with him without shaking, or letting off a smelly odor.
    It's weird because Rick can call him (when were in the house)and he'll come running towards him, and at the last second he'll turn away and keep running, but then Rick will call him again, and he'll come over to Rick, just close enough for Rick to touch him with the very tips of his fingers, and he makes funny wining, grumbling noises. (He has growled at him in the past, so we know the difference) He'll let Rick touch him for a few seconds, then he'll run away. Since we got him on December 21st things have gotten MUCH better, but Buddy still causes problems between Rick and I. Just a week ago, Rick and I were yelling about something, and when Rick raised his voice to me, Buddy stood up, and snapped at Rick, not like he was close to him, but just to warn him to stop.
    So...... that was not a good thing, he does not act out of aggression, he's just so afraid of Rick!! Buddy won't even let Rick put a leash on him! Were working on Buddy letting Rick walk him, that's okay for the most part. When were in the house, Buddy HAS to know where Rick is at all times. If Rick stands up to walk in the kitchen, Buddy will walk the opposite way around the living room to watch what he's doing in the Kitchen!!

It took about 4 months before Buddy would let Rick put him in his crate!!!! Now he has no problem. Two times he tried and Buddy would charge out of his crate at him.
    Twice I have started looking for a new home for Buddy because he's to hard on our marriage!! Buddy loves me with every ounce of his body, and I know 100% for sure that Buddy would give his life to save mine!!! He is a glue dog!!! Always next to me! He walks great! I even open the gate to the yard and he sticks close by! And to make matters worse, Rick's brother and Dad, and my dad, and many other people... Buddy has no problems with!! The only person in the WORLD Buddy acts like this towards is Rick.

I just keep praying Buddy with snap out of it once and for all, he really will be an AWSOME dog once he gets over this.....

Has anyone had this problem?? What was the outcome?
    Is there something we should/could do to help Buddy not be afraid of Rick? What do you think about us going to training classes (we've never been through any training with either pup)
    Do you think Buddy and Rick would bond through classes? Or would that just keep Buddy stressed out???

Please help me, I don't know what to do anymore!! My hubby is at his wits end!! He really wants me to find Buddy a new home!

For those of you who don't know Buddy's story:

Buddy was found living in a barn in the middle of no where by himself. They don't know how long he was there, he was onyl 1 year old! He was picked up by a kill shelter, and they kept him longer than they should have (because he was such a hansome man ) And then I went there on Dec 21st and brought my baby Buddy Boy home!!! For the first two days he wouldn't look anyone in the eye, Sierra included!! He would just turn his head, and close his eyes when anyone tried petting him, or when Sierra would try to get him to play! (that was very very sad to see!! )

I spent hours on end sitting by him in his crate (where he would move from... he felt safe)

So anyway....here we are today.... he's gotten much better, but still has a few more hurdles to get over!

We need your input and help!!

~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

I'm sorry to hear you are having this trouble with Buddy.

I think maybe your husband should take him to obedience classes. I truly think this will help them bond. It really bonded me & Roxey.

I hope that you can find something to work, I'd hate to think of you getting rid of your sweet boy who has come so far.

Good luck & keep us updated on the progress

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

This is just some ideas i might do in that situation!
    Let Rick feed Buddy at feed times!
    Only Rick walk Buddy (with you there)
    When its treat time Let rick Feed him!
    and stuff like that, but obviously dont ignore him and him think that you prefer the other dog!
    you may allready do this but anyways good luck
    Delcey

I woudl definitly try obidence classes and make sure there the postivie kind, like when he sits your husband gets all exited. Also, when we first got Nova to build a relation ship with her when ever I walked in a room where she was I would say in my exited voice Nova!!!! and tell her she was such a good girl and just keep repeating good gilr Nova good girl and allow her to come ot me I would then give her her fav treat (hot dog) and so now when ever I walk in a room her tail just a thumps. LOL.

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

I agree about obedience classes. For a few weeks, let Rick be the one to feed Buddy, brush Buddy, take him for walks, and everything. All of your tasks for Buddy become his. I'm sure it would be a great way to let them bond!
    I've been BOO'd!

Try www.doggiedoor.com search under shy dogs and building confidence. This should help.

Lori