Thread: adoption? disabled dogs?

adoption? disabled dogs?

who here would consider adopting a deaf, blind, disabled dog.

I would love to own a deaf dog, since I am going to be in American Sign next year for a whole semester, I think it would be a good way to train a deaf pup to comunicate with me, through sign language,(or physical commands) *rather then verble*. What do you all think???

??? ???
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

my Noel is blind and brain damage. she does just fine. she is a little slower at doing things like she just started chewing on things she is 11mths old she is doing things that a 2mth old pup would do. but thats ok she is Noel and she is so sweet. my other dogs lead her around like they know that she is some what slow. and cant see. it is amazing to watch them run in front of her to keep her from running into something in the yard. here is a new picture of her from a function we had at the civic center here.
    nothing like two cool dudes in funny outfits singing to you and yes that is me in the picture but they were singing to Noel

by the way i forgot to mention that she was wearing her harley davidson outfit

I've been thinking about this lately. I think a deaf dog wouldn't be a problem at all. Blind, maybe...maybe not.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Maybe when I am older and out of school...I have been thinking about it, and did some research on it, and it takes A LOT of time and A LOT of training, as any dog does, but if I do have a deaf or blind dog, I want it to have my FULL attention. (I mean my pets have my attention, obviously, but a deaf or blind dog would need special attention) I think I would do either, or, or both.
    -Amanda-
    Fur Mommy to Chloe, Clara, Dozer, and Max!

And mommy to my two little angels in heaven Scooter (1-07-04) and Dexter (1-13-04)

I still don't know. If I do, it would be when I am a lot more experienced as a dog owner.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

I have a blind dog..

He does just fine. He knows where everything is in the house and he gets around. He loves to run. I generally walk him on the same trail every day and he is able to be off leash there. If we go somewhere new I keep him leashed. Losing his sight hasn't slowed him down a bit. He's still Preacher, he still acts like the same dog he's always been. He still gets right mad at me if I take out the sled team and leave him behind!

I have a friend with two dalmations, one of whom is deaf. He is trained to hand signals. You'd never know he can't hear.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Yes. I want to adopt a blind or deaf dog when I get older. I will only do it though if I will have the time and patience. I think it would be fun and a challenge and you would be saving a life that most other people wouldn't

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

I have only been involved with transporting deaf dogs, great danes to be specific. (Side note: the breeder they were pulled from is hopefully out of business. She was breeding brother and sister, and could not understand why her pups were generally white in color and most were deaf )

They were with us only a short time while transporting, but they seem to be adjusted and are fun to be around.
    Scott is owned by 5 cats: Jackson, Fluffy, Twidgit, Ashton, Lexi;
    and 3 dogs: Eli, Sassee, Ginger

Fuzzy317's Pictures

I don't know about deaf dogs, but with having a blind dog,
    I've come to notice that a lot of people have a misconception
    that they're a lot of work and take an exorbitant amount of
    time and patience. I've had people tell me that they thought
    Maddie must be a real burden to me and they don't think
    they could handle it. Well Maddie has never once been a
    burden. She's not any harder to take care of than Oz or
    Murph. I think the key is I don't treat her like a special needs
    case, so she's a very happy and confident lil' girl.

Dogs adjust so much easier than we do. She hasn't let being
    blind prevent her from toodling all around the back yard and
    house or playing with her toys or keeping Murph and Oz in
    line. And she always knows just where my nose is to give me
    a kiss. If I take her hiking, I have to put her in my backpack,
    but I had to do that before she was blind. She's always been
    somewhat of a spud, so I think in her case being blind was
    less of a hindrance than going deaf. I've always been very
    verbal with her, so we haven't lost our communication. And
    lord knows she hasn't lost her sense of smell to track down
    any wayward crumbs on the floor.

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

I would like to say that Noel being blind and brain damaged was easier to train than my normal dogs. she is easier to handle She doesn't pull, tends to stay by my side. she has learned her way around the house and if she didnt have a dead look in her eyes you would never know that she is blind. And to think that she has complete trust in humans is amazing as it was humans that made her the way she is today. she has been blind since 2mths old. Even though her ears are missing and she is blind she is a beautiful dog. SO don't be afraid of owning a disabled dog. DIsability is only how you make it. whether it is a dog or human. THey say that I am disabled do to having M.S. I work 10 hours a day. President of the kennel club here teach pet safety at the schools. and donate my time to paws. and have a boyfriend and ride horses. yes I have to rest sometime. but it doesnt stop me and I will not be limited to what I can do. SAme goes for a dog I do not treat Noel any different than I do my normal dogs. tO me Noel is normal for her.