Thread: kitties under the deck

kitties under the deck

Hi everyone,
    About two months ago, a feral that I feed had kittens in my neighbours yard. She ended up moving them so I didnt know what happend to them until yesterday. I discovered they are living under my deck. so, I tried luring them out with some food, and sure enough they came out. I tried grabbing one, but it really resisited (and scratched the heck out of me too) I let it go but they are still under the deck I don't know what to do with them? Do you think they are still young enough to be tamed? My worry about bringing them to the shelter is that they will be put down. Please help...

I grew up with this problem. What we would do is wait until they were older and make sure they knew there was always food in the house. (we always left the back door open) so they would have to come inside to eat. Then we would start working with them, of course there were some we just couldnt tame as much as we tried. Out of 8 ferel cats we tamed 6 of them. Not to the point where you could pick them up, but enough that you could walk up and pet them and walk away with out them running. There was one that my Mom and I worked with. But she met my Dad and fell in love with him. He was the only one who could pick her up. After he died she wouldn't come in to eat for a while then she got pregnet with my cat Cubby and his sister and she had them in the house where my Dad scent was. We weren't allowed to hold her or the kittens. So Cubby was very hard to handle while his mother was away from him. Even still he doesn't like to be held unless he wants. My advice is to just keep working with them. It might take a long time but it is well worth the wait.

Katie

Eight years ago, a feral mother cat took refuge in our garden with her two kittens. The kittens were probably about 8 weeks old at the time. It took us three months after that to coax them into the house, by leaving food in the kitchen with the back door open. At first they were absolutely terrified, hid under the furniture and wouldn't come anywhere near us.

This is a picture of Samantha with her scratching pole

Daisy used to cower in the kitchen and greet my husband with a huge hiss every morning.

Very, very gradually they did come round though and today they are wonderful, affectionate cats who love cuddles.

Mother (Jessica) was a slightly different story. She hadn't lived outside and brought up two litters without learning a thing or two! We had to borrow a trap from Cats Protection before we managed to get her. Even with the trap it took us ages. Mostly we caught the cat across the road! She had had another litter before we managed to catch her. Jessica will never be a lap cat, but we don't mind that, we are happy to have got to the stage where she sleeps in a warm and dry house, gets fed and taken to the vet once a year for her jags. All 6 of the kittens (our 2 and the 4 from the last litter) have wonderful homes with people who absolutely dote on them. One of Jessica's kittens, who lives with my Mum, has even had the honour to be Cat of the Day!!!

[img]
    http://catoftheday.com/archive/2003/January/18.jpg[/img]

Please persevere! These little cats deserve a chance and two months is certainly not too late for them.

Sometimes a fareal Mother will teach even the youngest kittens to be wary of strangers! So you will have to let them come to you , when they are ready and trust you!It atkes time , but is worth it!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Is it a bad idea to take them to a shelter? I really don't want them to be put down..

Originally posted by weeze
    Is it a bad idea to take them to a shelter? I really don't want them to be put down..
    Here in AZ they euthanize ferals. They're overcrowded as it is, so they figure if they're feral, they're unadoptable. If I were you, I would feed them and when they get old enough have them fixed. Then continue to just keep food and water out for them. Unless you can tame them and have a prospective home.
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

that's what I'm afraid of.. Does anyone in the Toronto area know what the shelters here do with ferals? I imagine they would do the same thing if they're overcrowded..

I have been working with the kitties for a few days now, and they are warming up to me. They even let me pet them for a little bit. However, this morning when I went out to feed them, they were gone! The mother was there , but the kittens weren't and that is unusual because they haven't left the deck since I discovered them. I hope they are okay.....

Has there been any sign of the kittens during the day?

When I went home, they were back! I guess they have another hiding spot at night and they spend the day/early evening under the deck. I was so happy to find them when I got home from work...

ok, I am really freaking out now.. I am leaving for Scotland in 4 weeks for 3 months, and I don't know what to do with these kitties. The mother and 4 kitties generally do not leave the deck and are very dependent on my feeding them. I can't stop worrying about what to do while I am gone. Does anyone have any advice for me please? I have been considering trapping the kittens but don't know what to with them after I trap them?

Have you contacted any rescue organisations in your area to ask them what their policy is?

I have sent some e-mails to rescue places in the city and am awaiting their responses.. Hopefully they can help me out...