Thread: Helping a Dog Get Over Abuse

Helping a Dog Get Over Abuse

We have recently adopted a year-old female Chihuahua, bringing our total dog population up to three -- another Chihuahua and a Blue Heeler-Rotweiler mix, both females. We also have a very old, very crabby cat. Our family consists of myself, my husband and our 4-year-old son. Here's the problem -- the new dog (we call her Queenie) was abused by her previous owner . Of this, we are certain. She was repeatedly struck for barking (she's a dog -- what did he expect her to do -- meow???), for urinating when struck or stressed, and she was also shouted at. She is terribly afraid of the leash (was she whipped or choked? -- I think so). She has bonded so closely to me in the two weeks we have had her that I call her "Velcro Dog." She gets along well with the other dogs and is even learning how to play with them. She tolerates my son, but she cannot abide my husband. She runs, hides, avoids him like the plague, snaps at his hands, growls at him, barks at him, etc. We all understand that she is very young to have expereinced so much trauma in her little life and that she must blame all adult males for her horrible early life. But we need her to udnerstand that she has a forever home with people who will never, ever be mean to her, and that she will never be struck, or choked, or verbally abused again.

Anyone out there have any tried-and-true methods of helping her to learn to trust my husband? He has been very patient and kind, but after all -- it's his own house and he's getting a llittle tired of being treated like a robber when he comes home from work.

Maybe have your husband take a treat with him to work in the morning, and then, when he gets home, have him give it to Queenie. My little dog Kiki(he was never abused),when we first got him, he barked at our elderly neighbour. Then, our neighbour started to bring him food, and Kiki slowly started to trust him. Now, whenever Kiki sees him, he'll go running up to him, tail wagging. He also likes to go to our neighbours house, just to get his daily helping of turkey of chicken that out elderly neighbour has ready for him

Orlando Bloom's Gal's is good advice. I bet if your husband feeds her, she'll trust him real quick! None of my dogs have been severly abused, but one of my cats were. It took her a few years to finally come around. Sometimes, it takes time and patience. You just have to be sensitive towards her.

I agree. In fact, if he would be willing to take over all feeding chores and anything else he can, it would speed up the process. For such a small dog, it might help if your husband would stoop down to give Queenie a treat so he doesn't seem so threatening. Sitting at her level--on the floor-- without interacting will show her that she has nothing to fear, especially if the other dogs are getting attention.

Good luck!

Mary

Poor Queenie has been through so much horror that it is going to take a lot of time and patience. I know your husband must be getting frusterated, but it will take a lot more patient work.

Find out what her favorite treat in the world is. Have only him give her that kind of treat, no one else. He can start by having her see him place the treat on the floor. Then he steps back at a safe distance and she can eat the treat. Also, have her be in the same room with him while he's watching tv or reading. He should be really still and it'd be best if you were not in the room with them. He can place treats all around him and then she can come to him at her own pace.

If she likes going for walks, you hook her up to her leash then hand it to him. See if she'll go out the door with him.

After she learns to trust him, it'd be best to do the same exercises with at least 3-5 other men. You'll have a much easier time if you nip this problem right now.

Thanks so much for rescuing the poor thing. Give her a big kiss from me! GOOD LUCK!
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Snoopy was not quite as bad as your new pup but she was frightened of Carl and men in general. I think the FAVORITE treat is a really good idea. Also slow movements, encouraging the dog to come to him, talking gently. At the dog park, when one of the men would lift his arm up to throw a ball, Snoopy would run away and start barking frantically at them. If a new man still moves too rapidly toward him he barks. But if the man puts out his hand, lets him sniff him, he will gradually approach and let the man pet him. I think patience is the key word here.

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

The best thing you can do is give her time to adjust to a loving home. A good behavior link is www.doggiedoor.com . Look for info under shy dogs, this may help.

Dear Pet Talk People -- I have tried your suggestestions regarding Queenie. My husband now brings home bags with little bits of hot dogs and bratwurst and Colby cheese to give Queenie. At first, she would not take them from him, then I put my hand on his and she's take the treat. This morning, she took a bit of bacon from him (although she stretched her little neck out as far as possible to do so) without my hand being there. He gets down close to the floor and now Queenie has stopped snapping at him. I think he feels a little foolish, but he also "chats" with her in a very friendly, confidential whisper and she has gotten so that she will move a little closer to him than before. Queenie has started cuddling up with our 4-year-old son, usually at night, now that he has learned that Queenie doesn't want to roughhouse like the other dogs. She doesn't want to go outside, ever, although she's had never had an accident inside. I am having to go out with her and wait, then "Velcro Dog" is back with me again. The more I know her, the more I realize that she is a very complex little dog with a lot of behavior issues, we think stem directly from her abuse. We all know that this is going to take a lot of time and patience!

Thank you all so much for your kind advice

So glad things are working out, and that your husband is playing along! I'm sure she'll end up adoring him in time "Dad, purveyor of all good things!"

Good for you!

It is great news to hear that you have noticed progress. These things take time, but I am sure that once Queenie opens her heart to the rest of your family your efforts will be repaid. Thanks for taking great care of this little one!
    Oreo and Molly