Thread: Wet food

Wet food

I've heard that wet food can be dangerous and unhealthy to a dog. Does anyone know about this? Would it be better if I mixed a tiny bit of wet food with dry food because Chloe hates dry food but loves wet food... Would it make a difference?
    -Amanda-
    Fur Mommy to Chloe, Clara, Dozer, and Max!

And mommy to my two little angels in heaven Scooter (1-07-04) and Dexter (1-13-04)

I think it's fine as long as a dog has alot of hard things to chew on. My dad gave Leather this gross food that when you poured water on it, it turned into gravy uggh. Now, because of it, she NEEDs her teeth brushed everyday because she now has severe gingivitis.
    I've been BOO'd!

I think wet food is OK as long as it is not the only thing you feed your dog (some of it can give your dog diarrhoea). We give Sparky some dry dog biscuits in the morning and he munches on them whenever he wants during the day (it's important to have plenty of water available when giving dry food) and at night for his dinner he will have some canned food. In Australia all dog food is labelled as to whether it meets basic nutritional standards. As long as the food is nutritious I can't see any harm in feeding your dog wet food.

I agree, I don't think there is any harm with wet food, just have to be careful about dental care.

I use this gravy stuff from Petco that comes in a milk-like container..its easier and cheaper and you can get varieties that are good for healthy coats, etc...my dog just loves it on his plain dry food, and it hasn't bothered his stomach yet.

I would just be sure to either brush your dogs teeth, or give them a safe bone/chew toy that can clean them (Greenies are good too!).

M

Originally posted by wolfsoul
    My dad gave Leather this gross food that when you poured water on it, it turned into gravy
    Kai had a food just like that! He loved it, even without the water. I used it as treats lol. Like others said, I see no harm in adding a bit. I think it's doing more harm on you (or rather, your wallet). It's mostly water you're paying for. But hey, if your dog likes the stuff...by all means, give it some.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

I think that the negative to the wet food is the dental care, like everyone has mentioned. I also do not like to clean up runny poo, so our dogs eat dry food only. My mother in law feeds her pom wet food, and she is constantly cleaning his butt when he comes in (eeewwwwww)--not my idea of quality time with my pooch
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

I think wet food doesnt help their dental care, like many of you said. It can really give them the runs. I just think dry food is healthier for them.

We feed our dogs "Solid Gold" holistic dry lamb and rice and they also put out canned food and we mix a little of the canned with the dry and they eat just fine, they like it and it is good for their teeth too. They have never had the runs.
    Jackie, Perry and Miss Daisy