Thread: Can someone help me with my teacup poodle?

Can someone help me with my teacup poodle?

Hello I just got a teacup poodle about 3 weeks ago (she is 14 weeks old) and she is driving herself crazy itching. The vet has checked her out and says that there is no parasites, so he thinks it is alergies. He put her on Children's Benadryl and Clavamox which is an antiboitic, but it doesn't seem to be helping at all.

Have your dogs ever had this problem? I would welcome any advice you could give. I live in Colorado and the little poodles are in short supply here, so I can't find and expert that can tell me what to do.

Thanks so much
    Tina Moore

[email protected]

I don't have a poodle, but have a dachshund who had the same itching problem.

We tried benedryl and prednisone. After a while, both stopped working. So our vet took blood and had it tested at Heska (in Colorado). We found out he is allergic to dust mites and flea saliva. After the initial course of treatment, he now gets maintenance shots on a regular basis. He also gets a different anti-histamine too. He still itches, but not nearly as bad.

Hope your little one gets better soon!

do u have a pic of her?

Welcome from one poodle person to another!

I have a standard poodle and a mini right now and have have 4 other poodles in the past! I have no idea what may be causing your little one's itching but I hope relief will soon be in sight. Congratulations on your teacup poodle! I have only ever seen one in my life and she was in the vet's waiting room. I couldn't believe my eyes - so tiny! Please keep us posted on your poodle's itching and we'd love to see pictures and WELCOME TO PET TALK!

What kind of dog food are you feeding?

Teacup poodle

The breeder had her on puppy chow so I gradually switched her over to Science Diet Puppy thinking that that might help, but so far I haven't noticed a difference. The breeder claims she never saw her itching-which is bull. The only thing else different that I can think of is that I have been feeding her cheese after her medicine. I guess until I find out what is causing it I shouldn't do that either.

Get rid of the Science Diet and put her on a high quality puppy lamp and rice. SD is loaded with corn and causes allergies in many dogs. Dairy products like cheese are also a no-no when it comes to allergies.

Good luck!
    Tracy

Northwest Shepherd Haven

"You become forever responsible for what you have tamed"
    Antoine de Saint-Exupery

LOL not lamp and rice...lamb and rice. I don't think she'd care for lamp much.
    Tracy

Northwest Shepherd Haven

"You become forever responsible for what you have tamed"
    Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Hello
    I have a black toy - is your's white? Mine's never had any skin problems, but sometimes the whites, like Maltese pups, can have skin issues because they are like freckle-faced fair people in that respect - excema, hives, etc. (humans).

Definitely switch the food, science diet isn't any good. Try Solid Gold, California Natural, Canidae, Wellness, Innova, etc. I switched my girl and her tears are less, her coat is much more vibrant and her digestive behavior is very regular. Good luck, and def post a pic!

Hello
    I have a black toy - is your's white? Mine's never had any skin problems, but sometimes the whites, like Maltese pups, can have skin issues because they are like freckle-faced fair people in that respect - excema, hives, etc. (humans).

Definitely switch the food, science diet is any good. Try Solid Gold, California Natural, Canidae, Wellness, Innova, etc. I switched my girl and her tears are less, her coat is much more vibrant and her digestive behavior is very regular. Good luck, and def post a pic!

Thanks,

I had always heard that Science Diet was good. I am having problems with my camera but I will get a picture on as soon as I figure it out. The teacup with the problems is a phantom(14wk) - Black with silver markings on her face feet and chest. I also have a toy poodle that is a party(8wk). She is white with a black head with a stripe down the middle. So far she is doing great. I had white toys with apricote ears when I was little. And I never remember my parents ever taking them to the vet.

Thanks again
    Tina

My German shepherd dog has very bad skin problems and allergies. We use Pets 1st. I think that they are the best dog food company ever, even though I hate dog food lol. They don't use corn flour (which is what most dogs are allergic to) and use human grade meat, real vegetables, natural preservatives (only vitamins c and e) and other great things. My dog's skin is great now.

The food is quite expensive, probably about 40 dollars a bag for a small dog, but the food lasts six months.

Here is the addy for the pets 1st website

http://pets1st.com/pf/firstpage.html

Good luck!
    I've been BOO'd!