Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: baby robin found

I knew I shouldn't have gone to sleep
    he just died in my hands

omg! im soooooo sorry!

Twisterdog, you repeated almost everything I said lol. Do you do wildlife rehab as well? I have one robin now, the first of the year. We don't commonly get robins in, but we do get sparrows, crows and others almost everyday now that spring is here. It seems that robins know how to escpae cats just a little more than the others do. Curious to know what type of dog food you use? We currently use Nutro....
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

I'm sorry you lost him. But, you did the best you could.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

I have raised robins befor, two of then red brested robin babies that fell out of a tree. They were kept in a bowl with a towl under a lamp. they were fed earth worms, but you can feed them meal worms. they poop almost right after they eat so get a big spoon or paper towl ready lol..

I loved raising my baby robins, they were so sweet. they lived as well. Good luck
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

oh sorry you lost him, I didnt read your last post .
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

i am so sorry to hear about yoru loss. They are wonderful babies and I know you can get attached ot them very very quickly. I am so sorry again.

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

thanks everyone. I cried like a little baby. Next time I wont sleep through the night, I'll wakeup & feed it every hour (so I can atleast some sleep). i feel soooooooo guilty. I've never had something die on me so quickly. I'm trying to stick this into my head. Maybe he had internal bleeding or was sick & thats why he was not in his nest. I just don't want it to be becuase I did something wrong.

Oh & I had named him just before I went to sleep, Ren. Because I found hin in the Renald's yard (well just before their yard, its was really the ally.

Next time I wont sleep through the night, I'll wakeup & feed it every hour (so I can atleast some sleep). i feel soooooooo guilty.
    I'm sorry the baby bird died. I had a baby sparrow die last week. It happens ... it happens a lot with baby birds, it seems. I promise you, the bird's death had nothing to do with you sleeping through the night. I've raised dozens and dozens of baby birds, and I've never once feed them during the night. And millions of birds in the wild sleep through every single night. More likely, the bird had some pre-existing injury that killed it. Even a tiny scratch from a cat or dog will kill a bird, due the the high sensitivity of birds to dog or cat saliva. Falling from nests is a hard landing as well, and sometimes internal injuries are present. Do not blame yourself!!

Twisterdog, you repeated almost everything I said lol. Do you do wildlife rehab as well? I have one robin now, the first of the year. We don't commonly get robins in, but we do get sparrows, crows and others almost everyday now that spring is here. It seems that robins know how to escpae cats just a little more than the others do. Curious to know what type of dog food you use? We currently use Nutro....
    Oh, unofficially, I suppose ... I'm not a licensed rehabber, but I end up raising a lot of baby animals every spring, and getting sick and injured ones left in boxes on my doorstep all year long. I usually use Science Diet dog food.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

ahhhh my little baby sparrow loves his soggy cat food and blended bannanas! he loves fruit mostly!

so sorry

i was just reading this thread, as my kids just brought in a robin,and i was looking for information onhow to care for it, i know it can be hard to lose an animal that you try to save, i was looking for information on what to feed it, i am guessing from what i have read, that watered dog food is good, i am wondering, if it was dry dog food or wet,
    my son has mashed up some worm for it, but i have only given it a few small bits,
    sofar he is sleeping on my lap in a towel, and i am wondering how warm it needs to be, i have hand raised many animals but never a bird this young, its eyes are open, and it has feathers on its wings, head, and stomach, but it doesn have feathers under it wings, or on its back, any educated guesses on age?

You can soak a good quality dry dog food in warm water until it reaches a spongy consistency. He will need to be fed about every 2 hours.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

thanks i was trying to do that, boy was it taking forever, we use iams, and that stuff seems to take forever to get soggy,
    but anyway , even better news, i went back to the area where kids found bird, and had the baby in a box, and it
    started calling for mama, and mama replied, so after searching for a tall enough ladder, we managed to get the baby back in the nest, and waited,.....
    well mama and dada seemed to welcome the baby back into the nest, i have been goin back and checking every so often, and it is still in there with the others... i am guessing if they were gonna reject it , they would have kicked it out of the nest by now wouldnt they??

How old does it look? Mostly small adult-like feathers? Robins learn to fly down first and spend a few days being fed on the ground by their parents before the learn to fly up. It may not be safe with all the cats around but I'm sure the parents weren't far off. They usually have three to five eggs and may have to fly to many different places to feed each baby as they don't stick together once they hit the ground. The robin parents from our porch had to fly several houses to feed each baby, I don't know how they kept track of where each one was hiding.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

the one i had found had some adult wings, it was still losing a lot of its downy feathers, but had no feathers under its wings, or back,
    it is still in the nest, so i am guessing all is good now, and the parents are not goin to reject it, i think there are two other babies in the nest with it,