Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Kitty Suggestions?!?

Originally posted by cocker_luva
    Does anyone have any other suggestions other then Abys? I would like a variety of options to look at. Thanx
    Sorry, but the only options I've ever considered are the ones available at the shelter or the ones who showed up at my house in need of a home. And who knows what breed they are (except for Bob--pretty sure he's a Maine Coon mix).

You may want to search for breed information on the Internet or in the library and talk to local breeders.

Hey don't diss the abys, they're wonderful cats!!!
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

YAH! Aby's ROCK!

But if you want another suggestion I would reccommend that you sit down and decide what you want in a cat. Do you want a lap cat or a cat with spunk or a cat with blue eyes or green eyes - colour - pattern or whole?

Or you could just walk int oa shelter and let kitty choose you!

Lots of other people here have beautiful rescue cats and beautiful purebreds as well. But to ask what everyone thinks - well of course we are all a little biased.

"A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."

Go for a rescue cat. We adopted both of ours from a shelter (or maybe they adopted us !!!)

Some shelters do have pure breeds. Noah'sMommy got an Aby at hers.

I definately think your local shelter is worth a look.

Maybe you'll end of with two cats

I don't diss any animal. I just like to research an animal before I bring it home with me. I would hate for the animal to not be the right one for my homestyle and then have to give it away for a mistake that I could have prevented.

I have 3 Snowshoes's and they are very friendly cats. And Bengals are nice, too

good on you...

Well there is nothing wrong with you deciding on a bred, its good to take your time and not make a mistake,as u mentioned,i am sure u will find the right kitty be it a purebreed or rescue kitty, they are all beautiful . good luck
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Thank you carole, the 7 breeds I'm looking at are

-australian mist
    -snowshoe
    -somali
    -oriental longhair
    -nebelung
    -javanese
    -singapura
    any opinions on those breeds?

um well to be honest...

Sorry u are asking the wrong person here, i have not heard of seen some of those breeds in nz.
    Personally i like the burmese, the turkish van, the munchkin, and the devon rex, but only from what i have read, oh and the Russian blue and main coone, but i have never had a pedigree, so cant help u much, but i am certain u will make the right choice, once again good luck
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Hi CockaLuvr,

The Somali is the long haired version of the Abysinnian. They have the same temperament and everything. They are a high maintenance cat since you have to brush their fur on a daily basis. Definately a single owner cat but loves other cats.

The Australian Mist is a recent breed recognised by the international community. It is a predominantly *cute* cat. A lap cat. They are fairly rare still and will cost you a small fortune plus at present they are asking female cats not to be neutered to help perpuate the breed. They are extremely gentle. Great family cats. Highly Tolerant.

The snowshoes are a cross between a siamese and a american shorthair. They have the temperament of both. So its dependent on the family history of the cat. These cats *in their pure form* are rare as well. Highly demanding single person cats but will tolerate other cats.

The Singapura are affectionate one owner cats and will tolerate other people. They are also a rare breed. Seldom found outside of the United States. There is controvosy about how the Singapura came about.

Oriental longhairs are single person and single cat only. They are extremely demanding.

The nebelung is a long haired form of the russian blue. But unlike the shorthaired blue it is lazy *retiring* and very affectionate. Good with families.

I can't find any information on the Javanese but I do have some infromation on the Balinese variety.

Hope this helps.
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."

the Singapura is a very small cat, and also very rare. I want one of those, but they're very hard to find. They are friendly, and make excellent pets. But they do take some time to adjust to new homes and owners.
    the Snowshoe is also a rare breed. They are a shorthaired Birman type i think. I don't know much about them.
    the Somali is a longhaired Aby. I love Somalis, it is a gentle and amiable breed. They do need occasional grooming too.
    the Nebelung is like a longhaired Russian Blue, by its appearance. Its body is long, lithe, and slender with a fluffy tail. They are said to be robust and vigorous, needing only moderate grooming.
    the Javanese is like the Balinese. It does not like being left alone. It has the same body type, coat and disposition as the Balinese.

That's all the information I know, hope it helps. Tell us what breed you decide to get!
    - - Tiffany && Blueberry - -

I posted a thread like this one a while ago, but i still haven't gotten my puss yet. I reccomend an abyssinian! I've heard about them. Also, bengals look pretty good too. I hope ya choose a good pussie to be your new pet

Thanks everyone for the info, some of the stuff I knew but some I didn't. Again thanks.

If you have seen or would think any cat mixes look cute post them at my other thread in Cat Breeds called Amazing Cat Mixes.

SIAMESE!

What characters they are!

And they TALK!

I often wonder what it would be like to put an ABY with my Siamese, what fun would brew there.

Abys and Meezers and Bengals are active, needy cats. They need contact, more like children than some other breeds.

Is this the type you may be interested in? Or do you like the more relaxed varieties?