Thread: The good guys thread

Hybrid View

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Leave the Best Parking Spot

When you are going to a grocery or other store, don't take the best spot. Leave it for someone who needs it more than you do. A little extra walking is good for you too!
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Dog Rescues Newborn Baby Left in Thailand Trash Dump

Pui knew something wasn't right.

When the dog spotted a white plastic bag lying in a trash dump in Thailand's Tha Rua district, he took it in his mouth, brought it to the patio of his home and barked as loud as he could.

His owner's 12-year-old niece came to see what the fuss was about, and discovered a newborn baby girl – still alive – inside of the bag, reports The Bangkok Post.

Pui's owner, Gumnerd Thongmak, and his niece, Sudarat, rushed the infant to Tha Rua Hospital, where doctors determined the baby was premature, weighing just 4 lbs. The infant has since been transferred to another hospital, and area officials are looking for her mother.

Meanwhile, Pui's good deed hasn't gone unnoticed. On Monday, he received a leather collar and a medal from the Tha Rua district Red Cross chapter as a sign of gratitude, and The Miracle of Life Foundation gave Gumnerd a $300 reward. But the heroics should come as no surprise to those who know Pui, a neighborhood watchdog of sorts: The district chief told The Bangkok Post that the pooch is regularly seen sniffing around the community.

FEED 10 Bag

You can never have too many stylish totes -- and this durable, flexible bag comes with an added bonus.

The purchase of the bag provides 10 school meals to children in need. That should put a smile on your face while you shop!

Buy it now at feedprojects.com, $25

Military hero matched with Fidelco guide dog

BLOOMFIELD, CT (WFSB) - Blinded military hero and paralympic medalist, Brad Snyder of Maryland, is the new owner of a Fidelco guide dog.

A year and a half ago, an explosive device took the 29 year-old's sight in Afghanistan. Although the transition has been difficult, the match of a Fidelco guide dog will help aid the change.

Lt. Snyder is looking forward to establishing a bond with the right dog.

"I think humans adapt to dogs as much as dogs adapt to humans," said Lt. Snyder. "You really establish a very unique relationship with the guide dog."

At Fidelco's headquarters in Bloomfield, Snyder met and worked with several potential guide dogs to find the best match to take home.

The right match is important in this relationship.

"They will spend literally three weeks locked at the hip learning how to work together as a partnership team," said Eliot Russman, Fidelco Guide Dog Foundations CEO.

This partnership will help Lt. Snyder be the person he was before the accident.

"I was very autonomous, very independent," said Lt. Snyder. "I really want to get back to that as much as possible and a guide dog is an amazing way to do that."

From Brittany:

This is really little, but it made my day. I am an 18 year old and lately I have been hearing more and more stories on the news about "how awful today's teenagers are." Its always sad to hear what people say about the category of humans that you fit into.

I went to pick up some supplies for school one afternoon and I simply held the door open for a frail-looking elderly woman. To my delight she was extremely grateful and said things like "thank you so much!", and "you teenagers are so sweet these days." She quickly put a big smile on my face and I told some friends at school. They thought it was really neat.
    Isn't it wonderful how sometimes, the littlest things can touch you in the perfect way? It's just a thought, but to me an act of kindness is a gift to you, as well as the person you give it to.
    Last edited by kuhio98; 06-11-2013 at 12:20 PM.

A Marine Experiences Kindness
    Kimberly R. Haagenson posted this touching story about her son, who joined the Marines in October 2010:

Zeb, 22, is back home now, attending college and "slowly domesticating himself," in the words of his mother. Part of that process is, obviously, the need for a washer and dryer. Jeb found a beautiful, front-loading washer/dryer set on E-bay, and was very excited to get it for an amazing $200. He was very excited, thrilled to have the set, and even pleased that the guy who sold it to him was such a nice person.

But then it got even better.

When Zeb arrived home, he has an e-mail from the seller: "Your Paypal has been refunded your $200. Thank you for serving our Country!"

What a perfect example of Kindness!