Thread: No way, Jose!

Hybrid View

I FEEL YOUR PAIN
    Mine hate the carrier too
    I have the carrier on the floor for a few weeks.
    The one sleeps in it but if I walk next to it she fly's out of it.
    I have different things I have to do to get each one in.
    The one I can pick her up and hold her close to my chest and get her in that way.
    The one I have to grab her by the scuff of her neck and she just kind of lays there like shes paralyzed
    and i can pick her up and put her right in the carrier.
    When I pick them up I have to make sure i support their back paws with one hand or they freak out.

As I type, Cali is having her morning nap in one of the two carriers. Each has a very soft fleece blanket, recently laundered with tide with Downey. My kitties love to sleep in them. In fact Diego was napping in his before I closed the door for our vet appointment on Thursday. I have the carriers out all the time, they're never put away so they're no threat. The blankets smell like my clothes so I think that helps too. I wish you all the best.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

If all else fails, clothes basket plunked over the top of him ... would he willingly sit in a clothes basket if it had towels in it? And then be okay being carried in it? Maybe try that, and carrying him around the house for "fun" a few times so he gets used to it, then just figuring out a secure cover for it* - it's larger than a traditional carrier, so he need not feel as trapped ...

*cardboard and a couple bungie cords, it only has to survive one trip to and fro ...
    I've Been Frosted

I used to have this problem when I had my semi-feral cat Cirrus. He wouldn't let you even pick him up. The only way to get him into a carrier was to put it near the toilet in the bathroom and then I had to chase him with a broom into the carrier and then quickly latch it shut. It became so stressfeul for both of us that I had to stop taking him to the vet.

Now I only use the soft carriers which you can then flatten out to store them away. They all have zippers on the top of them so you can also just open it that way to put the cat in it. I usually don't have a problem putting any of my cats in the carriers. I've learned to close both bedroom doors so they can't hide under the beds though. I do have to chase some of my cats around for a bit. Scruffing their necks will help to keep them still while you put them into a carrier. Feliway will also probably help like Moosmom said earlier. Maybe you could start feeding him in a carrier and see how this goes. Good luck.

I have had several feral cats who just wouldn't do a carrier. I did train them to be OK with a harness and leash and while we made quite the sight going into the vets there were no injuries to either one of us or the vet staff, and because the kitty was calm medical tests results were accurate.
    Good Luck

Ming is my carrier-phobe kitty, the rest of them have no problem being placed in one. I just use top loaders, scruff him, and drop him in. I just have to be quick to close it up before he bolts. Those soft ones the KAK mentioned might work better for you, also.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

i leave my plastic carrier out all the time but disassembled. None of my cats had issues with this because all I did was put the top and door on their "bed" when transporting.