Thread: Dental care article

Hybrid View

Clients just don't "get it". They don't understand that dogs and cats are not supposed to have 3 inches of tartar on their teeth or that their breath isn't supposed to clear out a room. Even if they don't want to dedicate time to brushing them (heck, I forget to brush my own dog's teeth, and forget about even trying to brush my cats'!!), then they at least need to consider getting a dental. And there are products emerging on the market (oral sprays) that are actually pretty effective (most stuff OTC is just a waste of money). Some clients don't want to put their pets under anesthesia... but the risk of anesthesia is far outweighed by complications from a bad mouth (rotting teeth, sepsis, and in severe cases, heart problems!!) if left untreated. YES, even in older pets, anesthesia is still the lesser risk!!!

They don't "get it" that just because their pet isn't acting like its in pain doesn't mean that its not. There are more than a handful of clients that weren't entirely convinced that their pet needed a dental, because the pet was "acting fine", but did it anyway (usually the wife wanted to do it and the husband wasn't convinced it was necessary). One week after the dental we would call to check on the pet, and the client would tell us that they are acting like a brand new dog or cat!! It's amazing how they will act once they aren't in pain anymore!!!

And the REAL kicker... how would these owners feel if THEIR mouth looked or smelled like that? They would be in immense pain and would rush to their dentist. But they don't understand that it's very similar for their pets.

So... my clinic now is an AAHA clinic and we offer 20% off dental procedures for Jan, Feb, AND March. Dental health is VERY important. Again, even if you can't dedicate time to brushing your pet's teeth... please listen to your vet if he or she suggests a dental procedure and take a look at your pet's mouth and think, if that were YOUR mouth, what would you do? Because your pets have no say in the matter. Do what's best for THEM!

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    Clients just don't "get it". They don't understand that dogs and cats are not supposed to have 3 inches of tartar on their teeth or that their breath isn't supposed to clear out a room. Even if they don't want to dedicate time to brushing them (heck, I forget to brush my own dog's teeth, and forget about even trying to brush my cats'!!), then they at least need to consider getting a dental. And there are products emerging on the market (oral sprays) that are actually pretty effective (most stuff OTC is just a waste of money). Some clients don't want to put their pets under anesthesia... but the risk of anesthesia is far outweighed by complications from a bad mouth (rotting teeth, sepsis, and in severe cases, heart problems!!) if left untreated. YES, even in older pets, anesthesia is still the lesser risk!!!

They don't "get it" that just because their pet isn't acting like its in pain doesn't mean that its not. There are more than a handful of clients that weren't entirely convinced that their pet needed a dental, because the pet was "acting fine", but did it anyway (usually the wife wanted to do it and the husband wasn't convinced it was necessary). One week after the dental we would call to check on the pet, and the client would tell us that they are acting like a brand new dog or cat!! It's amazing how they will act once they aren't in pain anymore!!!

And the REAL kicker... how would these owners feel if THEIR mouth looked or smelled like that? They would be in immense pain and would rush to their dentist. But they don't understand that it's very similar for their pets.

So... my clinic now is an AAHA clinic and we offer 20% off dental procedures for Jan, Feb, AND March. Dental health is VERY important. Again, even if you can't dedicate time to brushing your pet's teeth... please listen to your vet if he or she suggests a dental procedure and take a look at your pet's mouth and think, if that were YOUR mouth, what would you do? Because your pets have no say in the matter. Do what's best for THEM!
    AMEN!!!! I have also seen quite a few horribly disguising mouths, it's so sad

Alexsertu Guest
    Hi This is a great post.I have a learn new thinks from here.I impressed by the quality of good information.

Dental care for dogs

Dental care for pets is as important as human dental care since we are not only sharing everyday of our lives with them but they are part of our family and need respect and a good care as well. Starting with a balanced and healthy food, ending with periodical visits to the veterinary will help you and your dog to have a happy life.

Cats, not so much.

I have been brushing my dog's teeth but have not been successful with my cats. It is like wrestling alligators to get a hold on the cats and never can their little mouths open wide without the claws coming out to harm me! My last cat cleaning episode, at the Vet's, cost me $730.00. Ouch. (For one cat including a few extractions, thus excess time and charge).
    Last edited by sasvermont; 03-14-2013 at 02:24 PM.

I have been brushing Fister's teeth the last 2-3 years of his life... well, actually only the front ones, he simply would not let me brush the others, but instead, I brushed the outside of his mouth along the gums with a rubber brush. That made him clean them with his tongue.

The first few years we had him, it was impossible to even get hold him! We had to drug him to get him into the box, and that was difficult enough, since he could often smell the pill in his food.

The first year, we fed him anything he liked, like Whiskas canned food, but after learning about the different foods available, we changed his diet to dry. We took him to the vet once a year for a check-up, and he did have his teeth cleaned also, and a few extractions when necessary.

Unfortunately, I agree that many don't even think about attending to their cats teeth, but I'm trying to pass on what I learned on PT.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.