Thread: Gun control discussion

Hybrid View

RICHARD, I think the mental illness factor is always overlooked and is very important too.

I also have a problem with the way media does things when these tragedies occur. I never understood the "rating" system. It's like giving them glory or something. They freak people out for a few days, and what if in the mean time, someone else starts planning something with all the ideas they get from this one? Who is to say this kid wasn't watching the news when the Aurora CO shooting happened? Who is to say he didn't get any ideas from the media.

Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    RICHARD, I think the mental illness factor is always overlooked and is very important too.

I also have a problem with the way media does things when these tragedies occur. I never understood the "rating" system. It's like giving them glory or something. They freak people out for a few days, and what if in the mean time, someone else starts planning something with all the ideas they get from this one? Who is to say this kid wasn't watching the news when the Aurora CO shooting happened? Who is to say he didn't get any ideas from the media.
    Yes, I firmly believe that there is some idiot out there with the idea they have a 'better plan'.

---------------
    Back in the day, I wanted to write for a newspaper. We toured the El Lay Times building and came across the 'morgue'

It was a collection of obituaries of famous people who hadn't died yet. They updated the stories and just had to fine tune the facts so that they could put it into the paper ASAP.

When I see the bumpers to the news programs and the ominous/sad/sinister music, I laugh.

Not at the story, but at the people who think up the catchy phrasing and pick the music.

What do you do for a living?

I write the tunes for FOX/MSNBC/CNN, when something bad happens.....