Thread: Sadie found a skunk! :o

Sadie found a skunk! :o

*sigh* My dog WOULD find a skunk, in the middle of February in Michigan, at 5:00 in the morning.
    I don't know how she does it.

But anyways...Sadie got skunked this morning. Since it's kind of the middle of winter, we had to wash her off inside. Of course, my bathroom was volunteered for this task, meaning that I'm afraid to even go in there right now haha. Also, since the aforementioned bathroom is across the hall from my bedroom, I now can't go in there without smelling skunk as well.

Luckily Sadie smells more like a wet dog now than skunk. Her collar might be beyond saving, but the damage everywhere else wasn't too bad.

She's been following me around all day and giving me this look, though

It's just...GAH. She's had the cone off for less than a week and she's already getting back into trouble!

On the plus side, she's super fluffy right now from her bath
    in on the joke and i cant stop laughing

Look at the face! She is really feeling guilty. Poor girl. Dogs never seem to learn to stay away from the striped kitties. We had a dog Jasper that got tangled up with a skunk twice. Casey even managed to cross paths with one once as well.

What did you use to get the smell out?

I feel your pain. We had called Lady the skunkhound for a while because she hated skunks and would attack them if she smelled them. Now if we even think there's a skunk in the area we don't let her out.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by happylabs View Post
    Look at the face! She is really feeling guilty. Poor girl. Dogs never seem to learn to stay away from the striped kitties. We had a dog Jasper that got tangled up with a skunk twice. Casey even managed to cross paths with one once as well.

What did you use to get the smell out?
    Tomato juice, plus some vinegar and then topped off with these like, lavender doggie wet wipes that helped get rid of the vinegar smell. It was pretty disgusting at first, but definitely minimized the skunk. Now the entire house just vaguely smells of skunk We actually had to air it out, which means that now it's freezing cold (but has somewhat fresh air aha)

She still smells a little so we'll have to bathe her again, but it's mostly her head now. We're getting there.

Look at that face! She sure is sorry! Maybe fluffy, but sorry nonetheless!
    I've Been Frosted

Awww, poor baby girl. Nothing personal sweetie, but you stink. (said it a sing song kind of voice)
    My pups have chased a lot of critters, but never a skunk, yet.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorxMyxLove View Post
    *sigh* My dog WOULD find a skunk, in the middle of February in Michigan, at 5:00 in the morning.
    I don't know how she does it.
    He he heee, oh my, sorry to laugh, but this line, oh gosh! Sadie, how DO you do it?!

Aw that face, says alot doesn't it?!

Poor Sadie.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Had to come back and tell you, I told my Dad about Sadie. Dad turned around and said, "Willy, I take it all back, you are NO trouble at all!"

Poor Sadie. She looks very sorry for what she did. Guess she learned her lesson now, hopefully? LOL. I would have to KILL Brennan if he ever did something like that, but I could very well see it happening
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Aww, poor gal. I'm sorry but I couldn't help but giggle. I can imagine the scene of her running toward the skunk and then getting sprayed... whoa, what just happened!

Awwww, she looks soooooo sad.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorxMyxLove View Post
    Tomato juice, plus some vinegar and then topped off with these like, lavender doggie wet wipes that helped get rid of the vinegar smell. It was pretty disgusting at first, but definitely minimized the skunk. Now the entire house just vaguely smells of skunk We actually had to air it out, which means that now it's freezing cold (but has somewhat fresh air aha)

She still smells a little so we'll have to bathe her again, but it's mostly her head now. We're getting there.
    I don't think I ever tried the vinegar but that is a good one.

I think, without looking it up, is that the skunk spray is sort of an oil that really sticks to the fur.

I remember the last time Jasper, who has been at the Rainbow Bridge now for almost 20-some years, still smelled faintly of skunk everytime he would get wet or if it was a damp day. I should dig up some pics of him and send them on to Dog of the Day. He was another one of those one in a million Labs that I have had over the years.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Had to come back and tell you, I told my Dad about Sadie. Dad turned around and said, "Willy, I take it all back, you are NO trouble at all!"
    Love your dads sense of humor. LOL! But poor Sadie really does have that sad skunked look.
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Goodness, Sadie just makes everyone look good! I swear, between my two dogs we have SO many problems!

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyluvsme13 View Post
    Poor Sadie. She looks very sorry for what she did. Guess she learned her lesson now, hopefully? LOL. I would have to KILL Brennan if he ever did something like that, but I could very well see it happening
    You'd think, right?! This is like, the third time she's gotten sprayed by a skunk though, so I don't think so. Gah - she's almost 8 years old, she should be calming down soon, right?

Quote Originally Posted by happylabs View Post
    I don't think I ever tried the vinegar but that is a good one.

I think, without looking it up, is that the skunk spray is sort of an oil that really sticks to the fur.

I remember the last time Jasper, who has been at the Rainbow Bridge now for almost 20-some years, still smelled faintly of skunk everytime he would get wet or if it was a damp day. I should dig up some pics of him and send them on to Dog of the Day. He was another one of those one in a million Labs that I have had over the years.
    I'm guessing that my mom has googled this a few times