Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Politics and religion.

Hybrid View

Had to laugh at the story about the SC justice being robbed by a machete wielding man.

I thought "oh, crap! That is crazy story, must have happened in DC...."

No, the moron was robbed at his vacay home - that's what he gets for not buying American.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Sometimes things happen that restore my faith in the goodness of some corporations:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...hip/?hpt=hp_c2
    I've Been Frosted

I definitely do not approve of Limbaugh's comments but I do recall Ed Schultz on MSNBC calling Laura Ingraham a right wing slut. His apology was accepted and that was pretty much the end of it. Two wrongs don't make a right, I know, but I think there is definitely a double standard here.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    I definitely do not approve of Limbaugh's comments but I do recall Ed Schultz on MSNBC calling Laura Ingraham a right wing slut. His apology was accepted and that was pretty much the end of it. Two wrongs don't make a right, I know, but I think there is definitely a double standard here.
    One apologized in person, on air, and it was accepted by the person who was the subject of the insult.

THe other apologized in a tortured statement that was pretty clearly the result of pressure applied:

“For over 20 years, I have illustrated the absurd with absurdity, three hours a day, five days a week. In this instance, I chose the wrong words in my analogy of the situation. I did not mean a personal attack on Ms. Fluke.

I think it is absolutely absurd that during these very serious political times, we are discussing personal sexual recreational activities before members of Congress. I personally do not agree that American citizens should pay for these social activities. What happened to personal responsibility and accountability? Where do we draw the line? If this is accepted as the norm, what will follow? Will we be debating if taxpayers should pay for new sneakers for all students that are interested in running to keep fit?In my monologue, I posited that it is not our business whatsoever to know what is going on in anyone’s bedroom nor do I think it is a topic that should reach a Presidential level.

"chose the wrong words"? I'd believe it if it was a neophyte talk show host. Rush has been doing this for a couple decades now, he's well aware of what effect his words are going to have. Calling someone a slut is about as personal an attack as one can make.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Ed Schultz was suspended for one week by MSNBC for his comment. Rush should be given a months timeout for the three days he spent castigating Miss Fluke. Each day his rants got worse, and more obscene, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Ed Schultz was suspended for one week by MSNBC for his comment. Rush should be given a months timeout for the three days he spent castigating Miss Fluke. Each day his rants got worse, and more obscene, IMHO.

Schultz's comment was said in the heat of the moment, and his apology was quick and sincere. Rush's vulgar comments were made
    over three days of air time & his half hearted form of a apology was only made because he felt some pressure to do so. Rush said, among
    other things, that he didn't mean to get personal, but his personal slurs on air, show otherwise.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Schultz offered to take the time off. I agree that Limbaugh's apology was insincere but I think that Schult'z was also. It's just that he was smarter than Limbaugh by preempting the station w/his apology and self imposed suspension.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Seriously?

If I had gone in front of any committee and said, "I need booze, ciggies, massages or ???????"

I would have been laughed out of the room.

I think that it was a fluke for her to even be let into the room.

Not because she DIDN'T have anything important to say, it was her crusade.

While I do think sex is fun? To ask a company/school to pay for me to have "fun" while I should be working or studying shows just how dumb some of the people who have a voice and the chance to make a difference, then make it all about them.

Yes, I do know all the medical applications of BCPs and how they help some women's illnesses and conditions, to openly complain about a school not providing you with the means to go out and get some "fun" to be funny to the point of making me want to puke.

She didn't deserve to be called anything more than a misguided soul - Had she come to the table with the arguement that SHE HERSELF needed BCPs for anything more than having sex?

I'd buy that all day.

------------------

I had to laugh yesterday about a speech I heard on the tubular.

I heard this 'exec' used a term that made me laugh.

He was talking about "having the back" of another entity.

WTF was that all about.

When people start using 'street slang' to get a point across, It make me cringe and want to laugh at the same time.

Having someone's back
    It is what It is.
    They are on crack have, to be some of the dumbest phrases that have made it into the public domain.

Especially when uttered during a speech that has to do with world peace.

Keep it clean folks, and remember children view the forum.

I was just glad some companies were acting on their convictions and pulling their dollars from his show.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Keep it clean folks, and remember children view the folforum.

I was just glad some companies were acting on their convictions and pulling their dollars from his show.

I am glad the mattress company pulled their support and the flowers-to-go people followed suit.

I hope that any jewelry store gets smart, too!

Much ado about nothing.

I get 50% off of my pedicures on my own, I don't need RL's sponsors.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Sometimes things happen that restore my faith in the goodness of some corporations:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...hip/?hpt=hp_c2
    Amen...amen. The dollar is all people like Limbo understand.

What I cannot get over is it was apparent from his remarks that he had not even heard what she said (which is also true of a poster on this!)

She did not say she wanted the government to pay for anything. She did not say ANYTHING about recreational sex....btw what makes sex "recreational"?

And want to talk about a fluke? A table full of non-medical men opining on women's reproductive issues. Sorry - that is a FARCE!

And wanting her to make a sex video??? I thought O'Reilly is the sex pervert and Limbo the druggie. Don't you wonder if his insurance pays for Limbo's recreational drug use??

There is no double standard here. Free speech does not mean speech free from consequences.

And the most amusing line from Limbo about the sponsors pulling out..."They've decided they don't want you or your business anymore. So be it. For me, this program is always about you..."

Oh Rush...really?

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post

And want to talk about a fluke? A table full of non-medical men opining on women's reproductive issues. Sorry - that is a FARCE!
    So, my statements about the military that you cannot possibly understand the military unless you've been there are ridiculous and caused your feathers to get severely ruffled, but men can't discuss female reproductive issues?

I think someone said something about a double standard????
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    So, my statements about the military that you cannot possibly understand the military unless you've been there are ridiculous and caused your feathers to get severely ruffled, but men can't discuss female reproductive issues?

So, "go forth and multiply" really is about math?

14. Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post

Nope. Nothing double standard about it. Read the Supreme Court decision that caused Congress to amend Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to include pregnancy as a protected class. I don't remember the name of the case but the employer was GE. Those nine men said that since only woman can get pregnant, pregnant men were not being treated differently than pregnant women.

Of course men can discuss female reproductive issues. But hardly as authoritatively as well....a female.

Equating occupation with gender - really? A real stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    Equating occupation with gender - really? A real stretch.

Not at all. The military isn't an occupation in the normal sense at all, and calling it an occupation is a prime indicator that someone just doesn't get it.