Thread: Has anyone seen the movie Hanging up?

Has anyone seen the movie Hanging up?

I saw that movie and just feel in love with the dog that Lisa Kudrow's character has in it. What kind of dog is that? Does anyone know?

I think its a long haired Saint Bernard...nice movie.
    ~eLLeN~

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~~Anatole France~~

Thanks! It was a good movie. Walter Mattheau's last one too.

It was a St. Bernard, but I never heard of a long-haired St. Bernard? But anyway, that movie is great! - Rachel
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

yes, there are longhaired saints...i read it on the akc site....

LONGHAIRED

The longhaired type completely resembles the shorthaired type except for the coat which is not shorthaired (stockhaarig) but of medium length plain to slightly wavy, never rolled or curly and not shaggy either. Usually, on the back, especially from the region of the haunches to the rump, the hair is more wavy, a condition, by the way, that is slightly indicated in the shorthaired dogs. The tail is bushy with dense hair of moderate length. Rolled or curly hair, or a flag tail, is faulty. Face and ears are covered with short and soft hair; longer hair at the base of the ear is permissible. Forelegs only slightly feathered; thighs very bushy.
    ~eLLeN~

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~~Anatole France~~

Dad tells Bruni, his Saint Bernard, that's Saints aren't supposed to be curly! She's a medium-haired one, and has some definite curls near her shoulderblades, so it's funny to see that that's officially a "fault!"

the dog in hanging up....

I think that dog is actually a Landseer Newfoundland. But I might be wrong. I don't believe St. Bernards come in those colors.

I'm pretty sure your right Kari, parti-color newfies are called Landseers. Saints don't usually come in parti-color, and if they do its white and brown. Black is not a known color in saints (except for the mask). I may be wrong but I agree with Kari.
    Luvv > Rachel, Jackson Redd, Master Splinter, and Pig Pen

My ImageStation
    http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291529791

Thanks everyone. I would really like to have a dog like that one day, but I did not even know where to start to find out what breed. I am going get one once I live in a large house with a big yard. I hope that is in my future anyways. Ha!

100% Definitely a Newfoundland

Hi everyone,

I have worked with every type of dog you can imagine! The dog in Hanging Up with Meg Ryan is definitely a Newfoundland. There are two major differences between a Newfoundland and a St. Bernard. 1. A well bred St. would never have a black & white coat. 2. The forehead on a Newfoundland is much higher then a St. and the muzzle on a St. is longer. Here is some info on a Newfoundland.

The Newfoundland is a breed of large dog. Newfoundlands can be black, brown, gray, or black and white. They were originally bred and used as a working dog for fishermen in the Dominion of Newfoundland, now part of Canada. They are known for their giant size, tremendous strength, calm dispositions, and loyalty. Newfoundland dogs excel at water rescue/lifesaving due to their muscular build, thick double coat, webbed feet, and innate swimming abilities.

I hope this helped you and if your thinking of getting a new dog please do the research on the breed you want. Make sure it will be as comfortable in your home as you are. Also don't forget to support your local Humane Society.