Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Politics and religion.

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Wom,

When a person takes the test to become an American they have to answer questions about our history.

Sad to say that many of these fledging citizen's know MORE about our history than us 'mericans do.
    That my friend, I wouldn't doubt.
    I'm a bit of a history buff. I love it. ALL world history. I have a vast library on many subjects, but History books would have to form the bulk of it.
    OOPS !!! Did I mention books again ???

"I'm Back !!"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wombat2u2004 View Post
    That my friend, I wouldn't doubt.
    I'm a bit of a history buff. I love it. ALL world history. I have a vast library on many subjects, but History books would have to form the bulk of it.
    OOPS !!! Did I mention books again ???
    BOOKS that nasty word again.

When we were taught history in school we were given tests & forced to memorize dates, people, & places. I always thought well the only place I would be using this stuff is maybe on a quiz show like Jeopardy.

The nice thing about historical books, if you find a good author they can put you right there on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
    That makes an interesting question...What's In Your Library?

I organize mine in sections...

- World History
    - US History
    - US Presidents - its own section
    - Columnist who also write books - Bill Bryson, Molly Ivins, Mike Royko, etc.
    - Cats
    - Women's Biographies/history
    - WWII
    - Travel
    - A small fiction section
    - Reference books - silly and not
    - Business books

What's in your library??

What's in your library?

Terrific question! I have mine in alphabetical order by author. All mixed in together. Books about sports, medicine, history of all kinds, biography, current events, a few fiction. Then there is my stacks of yet-to-be-read. Again, a mixture of all kinds.

As Thomas Jefferson once said, I cannot live without books.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post

- World History
    - US History
    - Cats
    - WWII
    - Travel
    - Business books

What's in your library??

A lot of Dog, Cat, Bird, Insect, Reptile, Horse, Livestock, & Fish books with pictures in them. I have always loved books with lots of colored or black & white pictures. Then there are my golden books from when I was a kid, or more like I am still a kid at heart. I have a collection of historical fiction Laura Ingalls Wilder books & they have some pictures in them. Then there is the Dr Seuss books, Green Eggs & Ham & Marvin K Mooney are my favorites with a lot more colored pictures. There are some U.S. travel books with some more pictures. I have a lot of topo maps of the Rockies I have collected over the years. There are flower, weed, tree, & rock books with more pictures.

My historical stuff which lacks pictures is mainly on the American Indian. Garrison Keillor is a favorite of mine I like his Midwestern humor. I have two dictionaries which I use A LOT. There is an outdated paper back on the U.S. Presidents & it has pictures in it too.

A lot of Dog, Cat, Bird, Insect, Reptile, Horse, Livestock, & Fish books with pictures in them. I have always loved books with lots of colored or black & white pictures. Then there are my golden books from when I was a kid, or more like I am still a kid at heart. I have a collection of historical fiction Laura Ingalls Wilder books & they have some pictures in them. Then there is the Dr Seuss books, Green Eggs & Ham & Marvin K Mooney are my favorites with a lot more colored pictures. There are some U.S. travel books with some more pictures. I have a lot of topo maps of the Rockies I have collected over the years. There are flower, weed, tree, & rock books with more pictures.

My historical stuff which lacks pictures is mainly on the American Indian. Garrison Keillor is a favorite of mine I like his Midwestern humor. I have two dictionaries which I use A LOT. There is an outdated paper back on the U.S. Presidents & it has pictures in it too.
    Well that's gotta be better than Mills and Boon....eh ???

"I'm Back !!"

- World History
    - US History
    - Cats
    - WWII
    - Travel
    - Business books

What's in your library??
    .OLD nursing textbooks (1980s) that I should not be holding onto. They're outdated and I can get the information from a current book on the same subject, or sometimes on the Internet.
    .John Grisham paper-backs.
    .A Fodor's guide to Arizona that I bought for a trip to the Grand Canyon that didn't happen.
    .An old Walt Disney World guide.
    ."Mosby, The Kennedy Center Cat", "Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul" and James Herriot's books.
    .High school and college yearbooks

And more
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Okay, Gov.? Pawlenty has just joined the lunatic fringe with his "Google test".

The military is going to be thrilled to have to send out classified material for printing. (privatization of the GPO)

Fed Ex and UPS don't have the capacity to deliver the sheer volume that the USPS does. Besides, I thought he was a conservative? I think there's a little item in the establishment clause of the Constitution which would make complete privatization of the USPS problematic.......

AMTRAK is making money in some operations, I'm sure privatizing the Northeast corridor would go well, but you could kiss passenger rail in the country goodbye everywhere else, just when it's starting to become attractive to some people (thank you, TSA)

As to his comments about lean six sigma streamlining the Pentagon.......have you looked at your procurement costs lately in those areas, Governor?

Please, can we dredge up a serious candidate? PLEASE?????

If I have to listen to their drivel, it could at least be intelligent.

I see Ms. Palin's emails while governor are being released. Guess we will learn whether she has a better grasp of the English language than she does of U.S. History!

But the funniest take I have seen on this yet is here.

Really, really laugh out loud funny!
    Last edited by Edwina's Secretary; 06-08-2011 at 11:30 AM.

That is hysterical !!!

But the funniest take I have seen on this yet is here.
    What scares me about the future of our country is that people get their news, and take the commentary seriously, from Comedy Central.

Bread and circuses.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

When we were taught history in school we were given tests & forced to memorize dates, people, & places. I always thought well the only place I would be using this stuff is maybe on a quiz show like Jeopardy.

The nice thing about historical books, if you find a good author they can put you right there on the spot.
    Oh yeah. I have books like that, you just can't put them down.
    Have you ever read "Blood and Thunder" by Hampton Sides ?
    An excellent book Bonny. I'm about half way thru it.
    Anyway, we'd best get off the topic of books, some may think we are illiterate or something.

"I'm Back !!"

Anyway, we'd best get off the topic of books, some may think we are illiterate or something.
    Who - what - where - why?

Blog Entries
    Oh yeah. I have books like that, you just can't put them down.
    Have you ever read "Blood and Thunder" by Hampton Sides ?
    An excellent book Bonny. I'm about half way thru it.
    Does it have pictures in it? What is it about? Do I have to read it in the buff?

Does it have pictures in it? What is it about? Do I have to read it in the buff?
    About reading in the buff?

Not on leather, during a heatwave?