Thread: ~all attention.. New bunny in our yard!~

Hybrid View

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Here in DE, it is illegal to keep wild bunnies as pets, or to in any way restrain them in a hutch, pen, or enclosure - as it should be. They are meant to run wild and free, and I'm sure they are actually much safer and happier that way. It's even illegal to attempt to raise a wild orphaned bunny, and you are supposed to call the state wildlife office and have them picked up for the experts to raise. However, I have raised a few on a couple of separate occasions, and then set them free when they were old enough to fend for themselves. It's not easy - sometimes you succeed, and sometimes you don't.

There's a BIG difference between wild and domesticated rabbits. You should let this little one go on it's way at will, and definitely don't keep it restrained in any way.

Here's a few of pics of my last babies from a few years ago.
    Last edited by pomtzu; 09-17-2010 at 09:02 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Here in DE, it is illegal to keep wild bunnies as pets, or to in any way restrain them in a hutch, pen, or enclosure - as it should be. They are meant to run wild and free, and I'm sure they are actually much safer and happier that way. It's even illegal to attempt to raise a wild orphaned bunny, and you are supposed to call the state wildlife office and have them picked up for the experts to raise. However, I have raised a few on a couple of separate occasions, and then set them free when they were old enough to fend for themselves. It's not easy - sometimes you succeed, and sometimes you don't.

There's a BIG difference between wild and domesticated rabbits. You should let this little one go on it's way at will, and definitely don't keep it restrained in any way.

Here's a few of pics of my last babies from a few years ago.

She is very happy where she is, Pomtzu. The pen isn't tiny at all. It's eight foot long, ten foot wide, complete with shelter, food, and water (in case she is to get thirsty, I dug a small hole and filled it up with water... like a pond!) And thanks for caring about Flower but really she is fine.

And okay, Karen, as soon as I found Carrot I stocked up on all that good stuff- I'm sure I have some left. I'll check tomorrow, next time I feed her.

The size of the enclosure wasn't a concern - just the fact that she is confined at all was what I was referring to.
    But - good luck with her.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    The size of the enclosure wasn't a concern - just the fact that she is confined at all was what I was referring to.
    But - good luck with her.
    I know but still, she needs ME.... I can feel it. Oh gosh those pitbulls are barking again. What is it this time.... please stand by...

OH MY GOSH! The dogs climbed the fence and are trying to tear the pen open! Poor flower is hiding in her house. ..... What should I do!?

Go out there and throw water on the dogs, scare them off, call their owners and demand they keep them better contained!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Go out there and throw water on the dogs, scare them off, call their owners and demand they keep them better contained!
    I'm running outside with a bucket of water RIGHT NOW!!! I'm calling AC, phone in hand, and am jumping out my WINDOW!!! It's open!

I forgot the pin is it the front of my fence and her pin is directly in front of my window- I threw it out the window, and they tried to run at me... I slammed my window shut and they are attacking my window....... Now they are giving up and climbing back up the fence.

I honestly don't get why people feel the need to post false stories. It doesn't do anything but make you look like an idiot. Especially typing things like "I'm jumping out the window with a bucket of water and they are attacking the window". Like come on, if you're gonna lie, try to be a little better than that.

Who'd have thought trolls still existed! While I was looking at the photos I was wondering if anyone else had noticed that they all looked like different rabbits.

How old is this person anyway? She sounds very young. Or well, very bored for that matter. Or perhaps a combination of the two.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Quote Originally Posted by luckies4me View Post
    Who'd have thought trolls still existed! While I was looking at the photos I was wondering if anyone else had noticed that they all looked like different rabbits.

How old is this person anyway? She sounds very young. Or well, very bored for that matter. Or perhaps a combination of the two.
    I've been wondering the same thing about the OPs age. Her profile says 44 but I don't believe it.

At any rate, it doesn't look like they're going to come back to this thread now that they've been caught in a big fat lie.

Pretty sure "Smarties" and this poster are one and the same...

Here's her intro thread. I smell something fishy.
    http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=163110
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

I would call a wildlife rescue who has experience. You should never keep a wild animal honestly if you don't have experience. If you want a bunny go adopt one! PLUS a lot of dogs will kill a wild rabbit regardless of breed. Doesn't make them bad. I know mine would. It's called instinct.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

I see I'm not the only one afterall, that is skeptical of all these dubious claims.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Wow, she is a pretty rabbit Glad you have her in such a great cage, it is very big, I bet she loves it, and she is safe and fed...most animals love all this haha

Hope to see pics of her in the future

Kalei
    I will love you forever Bobo