View Poll Results: Does your car have automatic or manual transmission?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Automatic

43 75.44%
  • Manual

14 24.56%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Automatic or manual transmission

Manual, the only way to drive! It isn't even a thought anymore....the foot and the hand on the shift work by themselves.

I learned on an automatic 40 years ago Ten years ago my hubby went on a one year remote and so I finally HAD to learn to drive a manual and found it such fun!! I wish I had learned it originally. But since then we have gone back to automatics and probably will stick with them. Less to think about!! A few years back, daughter Sirrahsim also faced a six month hubby remote and I taught her to drive a stick so she could borrow her brother's car to use and now that is all she really likes!!

I have tried several times to learn to drive a manual. No luck. I WANT to know how just in case of an emergency type situation. My car and Bruce's truck are both automatic, so no learning here. But my SIL has a manual. Maybe some day I'll learn.

Although, years ago my friend got a used VW Cabriolet. I drove it once and didn't stall AT ALL. I was so pleased. She was not happy because when she first got it she stalled ALL the time. LOL
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Automatic! I've driven a manual before in our yard, but I think I'd be afraid to drive it on the road. I'm in the process of looking for a car and my dad keeps finding/suggesting manuals, they just seem like a lot of work and I'd rather just relax and not have to think about shifting!

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

I had two manual transmission cars in a row. Now I'm on my third automatic. I wouldn't hesitate to drive a car with a manual transmission again, though.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Manual here.

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    I heard of more failed carjacking of a stick shift cars by young punks
    who can only drive automatic.
    Ha ha! Maybe my truck will never get stolen!

Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    Definitely Automatic, my car is an automatic and I think my future cars will all be that way. Manuals seem like a pain to drive.
    Not a pain, fun!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I learned to drive an automatic first and then learned manual when I got the Festiva. I felt a lot more confident on the road when I learned how to drive a manual trans, and its also gotten me a couple of really good temp jobs. I can drive just about anything on the road

I do agree it takes a lot of practice though, and some people just aren't wired to do it. It does make you a LOT more attentive to the road however. I find that if I drive automatics long distances my attention tends to drift.

My current car is an automatic, but most of my cars have been manuals. I like to drive manuals, more fun. Also I feel more confident on bad roads if I am in control of which gear I'm in without relying on braking to get me there.

However, if you are just learning to drive, an automatic is certainly easier.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Wish I knew how to use a manual. Saves on gas mileage and lower price when you buy a car.

My training was all on automatic. Come time to buy my first car (prior to that, I used the family car), I really wanted a manual.

Sales guy: NO PROBLEM! I'll take you out back of the lot and you will have it in NO TIME!

CAR: Kangaroo hop .. kangaroo hop .. kangaroo hop

Sales guy: Um, why do you let me drive the car back to it spot. I think you have to get an automatic. Hope my manager doesn't find out what we just did to this brand new car!

I've had automatic ever since!

Quote Originally Posted by Marigold2 View Post
    We all learned on a stick here because we had VW cars being German.
    Now I have a Camry which I love love love love.

This is our first VW van, last one was a Toyota but didn't want to chance that with all the flack they're having.

How does the VW compare to other cars Marigold?

We had no clue but the van is basically a Chrysler Town and Country, the two companies merged. So far it handles real nice and the ride is very smooth.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

In my younger years I drove Manual and Automatic equally. In my old age I drive Automatic in my main transportation, An Audi A4. I have the advantage of both manual and Auto. with Tiptronic. In manual mode It drives like a manual just without a clutch. I have a 81 VW Pickup truck that has a 5 speed manual that I enjoy driving because it is so quick and very economical.

Asiel
    This is our first VW van, last one was a Toyota but didn't want to chance that with all the flack they're having.

How does the VW compare to other cars Marigold?

We had no clue but the van is basically a Chrysler Town and Country, the two companies merged. So far it handles real nice and the ride is very smooth.
    The VW van is basically a Chrysler but is modified by VW to have a different feel than you get in the Chrysler. They have modified the suspension and some interior treatment. Chrysler and VW did not merge. Chrysler is making the VW Van but that is all there is to their relationship. VW is the worlds largest automaker making brands like Bentley, Lamborghini, Porsche, Audi, and VW just to name a few.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown

I currently don't have a car since my old one kicked the bucket but my last one was an automatic. My next car will be whatever's cheapest since I really want to learn how to drive a manual.

Niño & Eliza

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    Manual, the only way to drive! It isn't even a thought anymore....the foot and the hand on the shift work by themselves.
    Agreed - it's just second nature once you do it for a while. On rare occasions if I have to drive an automatic, I find myself using both feet instead of just one. Feeling for that invisible clutch is pretty funny too!!! Old habits die hard
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I have both, so it's not even an issue for me. I do find the stick shift more controllable tho, and yes, manuals are better fuel wise.
    AND, if for some reason you get a flat battery, you can clutch start a manual, and that will at least get you to a workshop or home....with an automatic yer stuck.

"I'm Back !!"

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Agreed - it's just second nature once you do it for a while. On rare occasions if I have to drive an automatic, I find myself using both feet instead of just one. Feeling for that invisible clutch is pretty funny too!!! Old habits die hard
    Reminds me of the time I foolishly hired a car in San Francisco and spent a fair amount of time groping for my gear stick in the door pocket.