Thread: New neighbors dogs constantly waking the baby....what should I do?

New neighbors dogs constantly waking the baby....what should I do?

Have a problem with new neighbors loud dogs...what should I do? I feel I should atleast give them time but...
    the dogs are constantly waking my 3 week old baby. (Which isn't fun for a very cranky, sleep deprived new mommy)

I'm usually very tolerant when it comes to barking dogs, I have 2 dogs myself and I work animal rescue a few times a month, but I've never heard such loud dogs in my life, and our last neighbors had a barker (but not like this, hr didn't bother me at all, and usually settled down pretty quick)

We live in an apartment and we just got new next door neighbors who through the bedroom wall you can hear very loudly their two rambunctious dogs barking, fighting, knocking their tails against the wall. One of the dogs is rather large, appears to be a Great Dane (or Great Dane mix) the other is a little smaller, looks to be some sort of hound. (The dog howls all day long)

Doesn't matter if the owners are home or not the dogs are constantly making noise, mostly howling/barking. Yesterday I was resting in bed while my baby was asleep (over in her crib, she sleeps in our room we only have a 1 bedroom for now) and the two dogs got into some sort of fight, it sounded painful even my dogs were concerned as they stood by the wall and listened. It was very loud and it sounded like one of the dogs was being hurt pretty bad. But my baby woke up, and was fussy and crying .

My baby has a touch of colic so when we finally get her to sleep, its very important to not wake her or it could be hours before we get more sleep.

Anyways the tails or bones hitting up against the wall I can deal with, the occaisonal loud skimmish I can deal with, but the constant barking/howling I can't.

I feel I should give them some time to get settled into their new surroundings. I'm a dog owner and I know that dogs go through an adjustment period when moved to a new place, but if this keeps going on how long do I let it go on before either saying something or reporting them?

(I'm more tolerant than most of our neighbors, chances are they have already been reported)

I just know my baby needs rest and I need rest....and this goes on pretty much 24/7 right now. (Day or night, owners home or not....though they should be trying to quiet the dogs when they are home)

As a dog owner and a mother this is a difficult situation for me

its not just black or white,there is no 1 easy answer its a predicament

This baby can normally sleep through anything once she is asleep, even if our dogs bark for any reason she doesn't wake up. But these dogs have been keeping her up constantly.

What should I do?

What can I do to try to drown out the noise, without making a lot of noise myself (I don't want to bother all the neighbors in my building by making noise to drown out the dogs)

They are new. Drop by, talk to them in the nicest way possible, and explain the situation. And you know what? Between anything they do, and life taking its natural course, the baby will likely get accustomed to it eventually anyway. Infants are remarkably flexible critters.
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I would talk to them first if you feel comfortable doing that, and then if it continues, you should report it to management.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Maybe take the baby with you when you talk to the neighbors?

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    They are new. Drop by, talk to them in the nicest way possible, and explain the situation. And you know what? Between anything they do, and life taking its natural course, the baby will likely get accustomed to it eventually anyway. Infants are remarkably flexible critters.
    Perhaps some babies are. I had this very issue with J, and it was horrendous. Horrendous. Some babies (and people) are very light sleepers. I have very little tolerance for other people infringing on my rights. I don't infringe on theirs.

Thanks everyone for you imput/advice.

Thankfully the dog is starting to calm down. Turns out only 1 was theirs the other belonged to a friend who helped them move from out of state. Now that there is just one dog, there isn't much if any noise at all. Its been a quiet afternoon since, thankfully.

I actually didn't talk with them, my friend who was visiting around lunch talked with them on her way out and then she called me.

So atleast we know now. But it has been a long two days so I am going just relax now.

Maybe they weren't aware that you had a new baby and now they know will be a bit more considerate.

Glad to hear it seems to be calming down now.
    But I just wanted to suggest playing soft music while your daughter is sleeping. That might help drown out any noises and help her stay asleep.
    I know if I were to ever have children they would have to get use to dogs barking and loud music. That's what goes on in this house.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)