Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: I'm just wondering whats your thought on chaining a dog?

Quote Originally Posted by Twisterdog View Post
    I didn't quote Marty as starting the controversy, did I? Check my post again.
    I dont need to recheck your post, I rolled my eyes because you contributed to an imagined controversy.

And that's not right, either. One wrong does not justify another.
    I didnt say it was right, nor did I try to justify chaining a dog to a tree. But wait, Marty isnt talking about chaining dogs to trees is he? Properly chaining a dog isnt inherently any more evil then keeping one kenneled its whole life.

I don't live around professional mushers, so I obviously am not an expert on the topic. The person we really need to ask is Glacier. But a hundred dogs? Really? Is that common? Sorry, but I do NOT consider someone who owns a hundred staked-out dogs a good example of why chaining up dog is ok. How can a hundred dogs ever be "well-socialized" when they are chained up alone? Why would anyone ever need to own a hundred dogs to run a sled team? Again, not claiming to be an expert on sled dogs, but that sounds like a terrible situation to me.
    I live in the Home of the Iditarod, Ill try and get some pics from professional mushers dog yards in the area.

My understanding of the need for a large number of dogs is limited but here we go anyway...

Not every race is going to run the same team, shorter races will run dogs that sprint, longer races will run dogs that have endurance. Not every pup is going to be suited for racing, I dont know how many mushers have their own breeding program but I would bet about half do. As for socializing, I cant say but some of the larger mushers have volunteers and interns who help take care of the dogs upkeep and socializing. Some kennels also do mushing tours for tourists winter and summer, if a kennel does 4 or more tours in a day Ild assume they wouldnt run the same team for every tour day in, day out.

Since this thread is about chaining, I cant say that chaining a dog with water, food, proper shelter, and plenty of attention is any worse then a dog kenneled under the same conditions.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Wait no, no, no....ok had it be me and my obviously in a gang afflication, would you report my dogs in Lowes too? The horrors of me 'wanting attention' and my 'bad intentions' in a Lowes store with my dogs, hehe.

Even have matching motorcycle gang jackets...shame.

The bad intentions......gang inititation!!

Lucky, the pup, failed however and was not welcomed in the gang.
    MY RUGRATS

The horrors, the carebear gang!! Everyone be afraid, be very afraid!

Its ok Pepe will pray for us, lol.

Sorry for the thread-hijack, couldn't resist...hope you enjoy the pics though!
    MY RUGRATS

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    I dont need to recheck your post, I rolled my eyes because you contributed to an imagined controversy.
    Is it imagined? Or has it simply not come to a full-blown head yet? Hmmm ....

You are correct ... this thread is phrased in a civil manner. However, did all of you happen to catch the OP's introduction thread? You can read it here, be sure to read it all.

Perhaps it's just me ... and we are all entitled to our opinions, aren't we ... but this introduction did not strike me as friendly. It struck me as defensive and inflamatory. Marty, my apologies if that's not the tone you intended to take ... but like you said, you are not a newbie. You know your way around message boards, right? Therefore I believe you knew exactly the tone you were taking.

I don't by any means agree with all of Lady's Human post, by I do agree with this, sadly:

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    I'm wondering what's your thoughts on someone who comes into a website and starts threads purposefully for the sole purpose of confrontation?

Several of you came to this forum after a thread about someone acting somewhat questionably with their dog and then posting in a rather rude manner about one of the responses they got.

Just like the sudden influx of APBT owners on this board aren't here for good intentions, but rather to cause issues.

Sorry, I'm not going to extend the warm fuzzy greeting, witnessed too many troll saturations on too many websites, and frankly, unlike my sister, I'm not of the opinion that warm welcomes change anything.

Want to be welcomed?

Stop posting threads that are blatant challenges, post pics of the pups, stories about the pups, and join in.

Love the pics of the pups, hate the blatant trolling that's behind them.
    So there are a few people on here that don't care for the APBT breed. So what? I'm sure there are people on here who think JRT's are obnoxious little yappers with ADHD. So what? I love my JRT; you don't have to, she's not your dog. I don't get angry about it. In general, the people on this board are open-minded, friendly and kind. That's a rarity on the web. And most of us on here are not newbies either, but we are nice to them. We may not own ABPT's, but we admire and like them. What's the problem?
    Last edited by Twisterdog; 01-04-2010 at 09:46 PM.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Husky_mom View Post
    in my own case.. I donīt have them chained but my husky girls have to be separated 24/7 or itsīblood shed.. literally.
    My understanding that is the case with husky b!tches.

Quote Originally Posted by Twisterdog View Post
    Is it imagined? Or has it simply not come to a full-blown head yet? Hmmm ....
    Yes it is. The controversy probably started at post #9 but more likely post #10.

You are correct ... this thread is phrased in a civil manner. However, did all of you happen to catch the OP's introduction thread? You can read it here, be sure to read it all.
    Ive read it a few times and for the life of me I cant figure out why you would object to it or find it offensive, nobody who posted there did.

Perhaps it's just me ... but we are all entitled to our opinions, aren't we ... but this introduction did not strike me as friendly. It struck me as defensive and inflamatory. Marty, my apologies if that's not the tone you intended to take ... but like you said, you are not a newbie. You know your way around message boards, right? Therefore I believe you knew exactly the tone you were taking.
    Perhaps you should have posted that in his introduction thread. In this thread Marty wasnt confrontational, unlike some other posters.

I don't by any means agree with all of Lady's Human post, by I do agree with this, sadly:

I'm wondering what's your thoughts on someone who comes into a website and starts threads purposefully for the sole purpose of confrontation?

Several of you came to this forum after a thread about someone acting somewhat questionably with their dog and then posting in a rather rude manner about one of the responses they got.

Just like the sudden influx of APBT owners on this board aren't here for good intentions, but rather to cause issues.

Anytime someone starts talking in catch phrases like "breed of choice", it sends red flags up. My breed of choice is whatever mutt happens to catch my attention when I'm looking for a pup (right, Lady?). The phrase is itself is nothing more than a challenge. It's MY CHOICE, what right do YOU have to disagree with me.

Sorry, I'm not going to extend the warm fuzzy greeting, witnessed too many troll saturations on too many websites, and frankly, unlike my sister, I'm not of the opinion that warm welcomes change anything.

Want to be welcomed?

Stop posting threads that are blatant challenges, post pics of the pups, stories about the pups, and join in.

If the threads continue, my ignore list is going to go back into use.

Love the pics of the pups, hate the blatant trolling that's behind them.

So there are a few people on here that don't care for the APBT breed. So what? I'm sure there are people on here who think JRT's are obnoxious little yappers with ADHD. So what? I love my JRT; you don't have to, she's not your dog. I don't get angry about it. In general, the people on this board are open-minded, friendly and kind. That's a rarity on the web. And most of us on here are not newbies either, but we are nice to them. We may not own ABPT's, but we admire and like them. What's the problem?
    So APBT owners are trolls?! Am I a troll because Verde is likely a APBT X? Granted she may be a Plott Hound X but that aint bloody likely.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

I am just throwing it in here that I did find this thread confrontational.

But, I did just answer the question that was asked and went along my merry way.
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

You've never been in his shoes. You're probably one of those people that would call the ASPCA on him and get his dogs taken away from him, because you see that he has pits, keeps them chained, uses spring poles, ect....and everything the HSUS and whatnot has to say about pit bull fighters have and look like and so he MUST be fighting his dogs, and thus why he comes on here and shares to the public about WHY his dogs are kept the way they are.
    Nice assumption.

I never mentioned the breed when talking about Lowes. Assumption #1.

The automatic assumption is that because I'm disagreeing with pitty owners, I hate pitties.

And you are all completely and utterly incorrect.

There are two breeds I dislike as breeds, they aren't, however, pit bulls.

As far as snitching on a gang member getting me in trouble, how in heck do you think gangs gain their power? Besides, how are they going to find me or do anything? While there are quite a few gang issues in the area I work in, the area I live in is another issue entirely.

If a dog is wearing service dog attire, I don't even really notice them. However, with the exception of service dogs, I don't believe dogs should be in stores other than pet stores. Were it a business I owner, it would have a big sign at the door stating that while service animals are welcome, pets are not. I love dogs, but they have their place, and in a store isn't it. Poodle, rottie, pit or chi, I don't care. If it's not a service animal, leave it at home or in the car.
    Last edited by Lady's Human; 01-04-2010 at 10:29 PM.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

If a dog is wearing service dog attire, I don't even really notice them. However, with the exception of service dogs, I don't believe dogs should be in stores other than pet stores. Were it a business I owner, it would have a big sign at the door stating that while service animals are welcome, pets are not. I love dogs, but they have their place, and in a store isn't it. Poodle, rottie, pit or chi, I don't care. If it's not a service animal, leave it at home or in the car.
    Well thats where you and I will just have to agree to disagree. As long as the dog is well contained, groomed, and well-behaved, I see no problems.

I've gotten my nails done or my hair done with a dog on my lap. They're are by no means therapy dogs, but by taking them with me to get my hair done, its very relaxing having them there and I'm more patient about being under the blow-dryer.

There's even a human waterpark that once a year has a doggy day where they open the park for dogs.

When I use to live in South Beach, its the most dog friendly place I've seen. Lincoln Road Mall is a big place to walk your dog and dogs are allowed in stores and most resturants (sp?) have doggy water dishes outside. Many of the store owners bring their dogs to work. I remember taking Princess with me to get my nails done and she got a doggy treat, her own chair, and they even had a water bowl for dogs.

There's a Mcdonalds store located there, that doesn't have a drive-thru, but has a doggy 'drive-thru' window for customers that have dogs. It was polar opposite of 'no dogs allowed'...people would try to order from there, because inside was pack, and I just thought it was too funny when the Mcdonald's employee told the people without dogs, that they only serve people who have dogs from this window.

I use to be a club promoter and my boss had a dog that looked like Princess, and would take her to have playdates with her dog at the club I worked for, and she would help me promote on the beach somedays or sometimes at night even along the walkside where the clubs would be.

I dunno maybe its just me, but I like my dogs company, not just in the home. And as for leaving them in the car? Under the Florida sun? I DON'T THINK SO.
    MY RUGRATS

So APBT owners are trolls?! Am I a troll because Verde is likely a APBT X? Granted she may be a Plott Hound X but that aint bloody likely.
    Read what I wrote, not what you want to want to read.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

I dunno maybe its just me, but I like my dogs company, not just in the home. And as for leaving them in the car? Under the Florida sun? I DON'T THINK SO.
    So leave them at home.

I've known people with serious animal allergies. They should not be subjected to animal dander in stores for your convenience.

So leave them at home.

Um no, I have my rights and as long as they're allowed, I'll do with my dogs as I please.

I've known people with serious animal allergies. They should not be subjected to animal dander in stores for your convenience.
    I have dogs with very low pet dander and I doubt they'll have a reaction unless they're very close to me which I doubt it since they should no better than be close to a dog if they have allgeries. I've never had a problem with my dogs and people with allgeries, even my cousin who is allergic to everything and at only 5 years old has been to the hospital for allergic reactions plenty of times, can be around my dogs no problems....other people's dogs is another story though.
    Last edited by Candy317; 01-04-2010 at 10:50 PM.
    MY RUGRATS

Read what I wrote, not what you want to want to read.
    I reread it, my question hasnt changed. I can imagine that greyhound owners would be called trolls if a number of them joined a anti dog racing forum, but wait! PT isnt anti APBT, just a few members are.

I do agree with you on dogs in private businesses, but wait! This thread isnt about pets in private businesses.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Nowhere in any of my posts did I state or even imply that all APBT owners are trolls.

Nowhere in any of my posts did I state or even imply that all APBT owners are trolls.
    Just the ones that recently joined this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Yes, the ones who joined between 1201 and 1310 pm on 26 december 2009 from IP address 56.38.123.90-99