Thread: Had it with the Food Channel...

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy and Delilah View Post
    Richard, have you ever had mescale(spelling?)?
    Mezcal?

What do they say about the 60's? If you remember, you weren't there?

If I said I remembered, I only took a sip.

Pulque is trippy, it's like non-alcoholic beer, I haven't had any in years, altho I do have two agave plants in the yard! Most of the old men in the culture are some of the best people you will ever see. I think they are pickled-that is why they last so long-You can go into those small towns and see a group of men-60 to 80-sharing a table. The women on the other hand? I think the drink was just manners, none of the women in the family were drinkers.

The sound of glass clinking and smoke billowing tell you that there is a lot of living to be done!

I had an uncle who could roll a ciggie with one hand-had he lived any closer we would have killed him-How many ciggies could he have smoked in a day?

--------

No, not all Mexicans don't eat paper wasps off the wall. The strange stuff, like chapulins are staples in the really rural, poor areas. It's like delivery or shopping......the food is there, you just have to get off the couch and go shopping. Quite a few people have veggie gardens and slaughter their own meat.

Corwin is a food wussy.

Brain tacos are creamy and tasty....But, if you already have an idea that you do not like that food, you will give it a 'blah' review.

----------

CORN SMUT!

No, never had it. It's a fungus, like truffles or mushrooms. I'd give it a whirl-no 'caviar'!

Tortillas...

Every meal.

The cook wakes up early.

Their was the old line in a commercial about joining the Armed Forces-
    something like "soldiers do more before breakfast than some people do all day". These women will probably cook 90-95% of the weeks meal's. So they do more cooking in two days than most of us do in a week.

Tortillas are a bit daunting when I try to make them.....An old Mex woman
    can look at a pile of masa/dough and the tortillas make themselves....

Almost.

Does Mezcal have something to do with mescaline? Excuse my spelling please.

How did you rate the show overall, Richard? I was impressed to go into the inner workings of the families of the region. This is something we rarely get to see. I loved the way some of the people were totally unscathed at Corwin's behavior.
    We have a large Mexican population here. These people are simple and determined. It's amazing how they are.

Being a simple culture, I can never believe the elaborate decorations I see in some of the Mexican restaurants here. I saw some of them on tv last night on the show. Our Mexican restaurants never serve anything like the show depicted but I imagine you can get that food somewhere around here.

I'll bet the FN start incorporating the corn smut in future shows like Iron Chef. It's fascinating and exotic. FN always tries to throw the stuff in that we can never find or afford. i.e. truffles The stuff looks like something that would taste exactly like mold.
    Are Mexican people pretty healthy? I imagine their immune systems are perfect. Eating some of the things they do, they have to be strong.

I think I mentioned before that I learned, years ago, that the young Mexican girls are required to make tortillas. When my sister had 64% Mexican students, her students always had burns on their hands. They told her how they made tortillas before school to help their mother's.

I also see the Mexican families are all about family. No question about it. All the family members are together most of the time. It was a big thing for all the Mexican men to gather after dinner and especially on the weekends to party through the nights.

Very interesting information.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!