Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rabies Vaccines..

Yes, I love our vet, too....he isn't too expensive and really cares about the pets...I know he stayed with a friend's dog when she passed at 3 in the morning....a lot of vets would have had someone else stay the night or just leave the dog if they knew it wasn't going to live.
    Shannon, Boomer, and Sooner

Quote Originally Posted by GSDOG View Post
    I would have to say to any of the people who don't "believe" in vaccinations to work in a vet clinic!!! have you had to watch an 8 week old puppy die from parvo..you know how much of a painful death that is...your intestines sluffing out of your body, vomiting so much, and the dehydration that is a result of everything coming out both ends!!!!!!!!! or watch a puppy die from distemper!! do you know how they test for rabies on an animal???
    I think it is completely assinine!! I hear this almost everyday..no we didnt vaccinate him yet but we took him all over the countryside and to all the parks and he had such a good time. and we just dont know why he is sick now!! and the part that sucks the most is when the owners cant afford to treat and have to PTS!...sorry for going off like this but the ignorence is very frustrating. and by the way..if you live in the country you are even more at risk from wild animals being around.
    I have worked at a vet clinic and delt with many puppies who got parvo and watched a couple die
    Ozzy and Eli both got parvo when they were pups because their previous owner didnt believe in vaccinating puppies.

I do belive in vaccinating puppies but I do not believe in vaccinating adults, many many studies have shown that it is unnecessary

Here's a couple good articles on some of the things involved in vet fees (granted the second one is from Canada, and one from a vets point of view)......

http://www.greencrossvet.com.au/new2...d=48&Itemid=78

http://www.avma.ab.ca/animal_health/comphealth4.htm

http://www.dolittler.com/index.cfm/2...y.veterinarian

Here is a good article on vaccinating....

http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/vac.html

Here's a good article on whether to vaccinate or not including reactions...

http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/vacrec.html

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Wow - after reading some of the things posted here about vets - I really feel fortunate. I have a wonderful vet - a real down to earth country gal. She genuinely loves her patients and will take as much time as needed and answer questions - not just rush you out the door. She comes to work in jeans and a t-shirt or sweatshirt - has only 2 techs and a girl at the front desk - her office has a small waiting/reception area - only 2 exam rooms and 2 back rooms for surgery and lab - not some big pricey fancy building that she has to pay for by charging outrageous rates.

I guess she's a lot like the old time country doctor of long ago. I just love her - she's the best !
    Now this was like the FIRST vet I worked for, back in Ohio before I moved to NC. A country vet is what I WISH I could find down in this area... because thats what I am used to! Where I worked, It was a small clinic, 2 exam rooms, 2 people up front behind the desk, and 3-4 in the back (I was one of them)... we all did everything, cleaned the building, the kennels, and exam rooms, took care of the animals.. we only had 1 certified tech. The vet would wear jeans and a t-shirt... heck I also got to wear jeans to work... it was a new clinic she had built, but it was a smaller clinic... only 1 vet. She would come in on weekends if she got an emergency call. She mainly did small animals, but on occasion she would have clients bring horses and treat them in the parking lot, or go to the farm.... we had a couple people that brought goats in on occasion as well..... the kennel area for boarding dogs was all of 6 runs and 8-9 shor-line metal cages of varies sizes.. then there was a small area for hospitalized animals and an ISO room.... prices for everything was SOO reasonable... I wish I could find a place like that down here. A fully booked boarding weekend was like 10-15 animals boarding....

I live out in the middle of no where now, but all the vets in town are larger practices with 3-4-5 vets in huge fancy buildings... with high costs of everything. Where I worked in North Carolina 80 animals was a fully booked boarding weekend...
    If you're gonna breed Collies, don't you forget to breed in the brains and common sense. Without that you won't have a Collie, you'll have just another dog.

I've Been BOO'd!!

That sounds like my vet's office. Small town indeed.

Rabies is a problem here in NE Ohio so my dogs get rabies shots every year. Sierra will (and has) killed any critter that comes in our yard, so I make SURE they get their shots. As for the other shots, I would like to not vaccinate anymore, but I take Sierra to the dog park for PT meetings and she has to be updated.

In my county they do TVR (Trap, Vaccinate and Release) with wildlife to keep the number of rabies cases down.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

In Michigan you can't get a license without the rabies vaccine and no license = fines if caught.

I personally get the 3 year rabies vaccine for all of my pets (dogs and cats).

Plus, I don't want to take the chance of losing my pets if they did bite someone.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

hi Picta

We live in NE Ohio also. I saw the picture of your dogs and am wondering if you've had any problems with skin conditions that could be related to rabies shots? One of our dogs had chronic problems that got increasingly worse through the years. Now that I feed her raw they have mostly cleared up although she does flare up somewhat around September. I have been cautious about vaccines since she had her problems and she and our other pooch are both due for rabies soon. Both Ida and Bootsie had puppy shots but we don't do regular boosters except for rabies. There is a nearby clinic that does rabies shots for not much money and we may take them there but again I worry about her because of the old allergy problems and our dog Boots has a lump on his chest and I don't want to aggravate his immune system. Not sure what the requirements are here.

Have you found a vet you like? We moved to Summit County from Cuyahoga County awhile back and haven't needed to see anyone since moving so any suggestions are appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by pitc9 View Post
    Rabies is a problem here in NE Ohio so my dogs get rabies shots every year. Sierra will (and has) killed any critter that comes in our yard, so I make SURE they get their shots. As for the other shots, I would like to not vaccinate anymore, but I take Sierra to the dog park for PT meetings and she has to be updated.

In my county they do TVR (Trap, Vaccinate and Release) with wildlife to keep the number of rabies cases down.