Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Please Keep Starr In Your Thoughts & Prayers:Update: Biopsy Results!!!

Poor Star. Prayers and good thoughts on the way.

Lots of prayers and candles burning tonight for Starr and you.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Moose Angels coming over with some Hawaiin treats and hope that he can coaze his little friend to eat.
    Baby Shrimps should do the trick and that Moose PURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR is theraputic.
    All the prayers in the World for your Super Starr to be better very soon.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Update On Biopsy Results!!!

Hi, I just got home a little while ago and I had to feed the cats first before I could get on the computer. Dr. Boltz called me around 4:30pm today and said that both Starr's small and large intestine show that he has food allergies and also colitis. Luckily this is all it is and I'll be starting him on the right doseage of pred this time and I'll also continue to feed him the Hills Z/d dry food as long as he'll eat it. If he doesn't want it then I can feed him the Natural Balance Green Pea & Venison and if he won't eat this then I'll try Storm's prescription food. Since Starr's so thin, I have to make sure that he eats something and she said that when he's on the pred he should be able to eat almost any kind of food but that the Hills Z/D would be best for him in the long run.

The vet's office that I was using told me to give him 1/4 of a tablet (5mg) 2 times a day for 7 days, then 1/4 of a tablet 1 time a day for the next 7 days and then 1/4 of a tablet every other day until they're gone. Dr. Boltz told me that this is one reason that I didn't see any change in Starr's diarrhea. Her instructions are as follows: give one 5mg tablet 2 times a day for 7 days then 1 tablet 1 time a day for 3 weeks and then give them as directed. I need to call her after the first week to let her know how he's doing and then we'll take it from there. She said that if he remains on the Hills Z/D diet that he'll probably be able to be weaned down to taking only 1-2 5mg tablets a week to keep his illness under control.

I know that I probably could have just tried this new diet and pred doseage before trying the biopsy surgery but Starr's health was declining so much that both the doctor and I agreed that we really needed to know what was causing his problem so that she would know how to treat him. I was also tired of playing the guessing game. Now hopefully this will all work and Starr will become a very healthy and happy littlle boy again. I had also asked Dr. Boltz about allergy testing and she said that it's not very accurate and that sometimes it even says that an animal is allergic when they aren't and that they are allergic when they really aren't. Since Starr had been on pred he would've also had to wait 6 weeks before he could be tested. I'll also be giving Starr 3 vitamin B12 injections myself and he'll be getting them 1 time a month starting on the week of March 25th. The first one has really helped him a lot.

Now I just need to fatten Starr up and the pred should cause him to be hungrier than normal so I'm going to try to feed him more small meals a day than I have been. Thanks again everyone for all of the prayers and concerns for Starr. He's now finally on the road to recovery.

I'm so glad to hear that it was nothing serious with Starr. I know it is frustrating to not know exactly what it is he is allergic to. At least you know now that you can work with his food and meds and get him feeling better. He is such a handsome little guy, I'll be glad to hear that he is feeling better and filling out again soon!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Glad to hear you found the problem and now can work at controlling it. Also I'm so happy it's nothing life threatening! I'll watch for updates.
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

What a relief! Your young fella should be around for many many years to come!

Great news!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

So glad to hear that Starr will now be on the road to recovery. I know you must feel better knowing what it is and how to treat it.

From Decker with Love

Big *phew* Hope Starr is soon all healthy and (a little bit) fat again

I am so glad to hear Starr is getting better. That is great news.
    Oh, and I'd like to sneak in a Happy 2nd Birthday Starr!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I've had colitis for years and although I don't know how it is w/cats, I have long periods of time, years even, when I'm not troubled w/it at all. But stress is a major factor in flare ups. And, of course, there are certain foods that I must avoid. So, if that's the way it is w/Starr, then you should be able to keep it under control w/no problem.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

So glad to hear the root of Starr's problem has been found and your beautiful boy is on the road to recovery.

Good and healing thoughts continuing.

That's wonderful news.So as you know it he will be back to his ole self.I will keep him in my prayers.
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

Side effects of Prednisone...

I just wanted to post this as I know there are side effects of Prednisone if it is used for an extended period (human and animal). My father is on it and he bruises super easily. It's also linked to bones becoming brittle.

I found this site that has about the effects on animals (though they say it is more found in dogs at this point). It is a steroid, so just keep an eye on Starr if he has to use it longterm. Not to scare you, but to be informed about the side affects.

This article was really good.
    http://www.wedgewoodpharmacy.com/mon...prednisone.asp

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian
    I just wanted to post this as I know there are side effects of Prednisone if it is used for an extended period (human and animal). My father is on it and he bruises super easily. It's also linked to bones becoming brittle.

I found this site that has about the effects on animals (though they say it is more found in dogs at this point). It is a steroid, so just keep an eye on Starr if he has to use it longterm. Not to scare you, but to be informed about the side affects.

This article was really good.
    http://www.wedgewoodpharmacy.com/mon...prednisone.asp
    Thanks Jenn. I know that this is why I was trying to avoid using this kind of drug but my new vet assured me that cats do very well on it and she's seen them on it for 10 years without any side affects. She said that people and dogs don't do well on it though.

Thanks again everyone.