Thread: info on hip displacement needed

info on hip displacement needed

Could anyone tell me anything about hip displacement,I have two labradors one black male called Buddy who is nearly one and one golden female called Lara who is just 5 months old.When I take them out for their walks a couple of people have said that Lara seems unsteady on her back legs and one person this morning mentioned hip displacement this has got me very worried at the moment.I had noticed certain things that she does that Buddy didn't do like when she's getting of the sofa she gets her front legs down and then seems to drag her back legs behind her and when she runs her back legs stay together but she does walk right I was thinking that this was just because she was a baby but now I just don't know.I would welcome any info anyone as.Thank you
    julie

Take her to the vet to have it diagnosed. They should be able to tell you what is going on!

Hi Julie,

Go to this site Canine Hip Dysplasia , it provides you a very thorough explanation of this problem.

My 1 year old GOlden had been diagnosed with hip dysplasia 2 months ago. I got worried when I noticed that she's having difficulty ing eeting up from a lying position or sitting position. ANd when she walks , she moves both rear legs together. I also noticed that her left rear leg is quite not aligned. The only way they could accurately diagnose is through X-RAY. I cried like a child when I saw the x-ray result. Her case is pretty bad and it needs an immediate surgery. Had we delayed the surgery, there's a chance that Missy won't be able to walk. The problem with the canine babies is that they don't complain. They only want to please us.

Missy needs surgery in both hips. Guess they have different kind of surgery depending on the age and weight of animal and complicating factors.They did a TPO (triple pelvic ostomy) on her last month on her left hip. Once it's completely healed, they'll do surgery on the other hip. We have an appt this weekend for another x-ray . She has recovered pretty quick. I've been amazed with her progress...

I hope Lara is ok.. Check with your vet immediately. If you need more info., just e-mail me and i'll be very happy to help you...

Hugs and kisses to Buddy and Lara!

Best Regards,
    Rosebel

Ditto all of the above. If this is the case and surgery may be a little too much, you can place her on Glucosamine.

This will help regenerate the joint fluid and ease the friction between the bones more. Doesn't cure it and isn't an overnight fix, but it does help minimize the pain and makes moving a little easier.

Also, if she is displastic, do not breed. If she came from a breeder, please inform the kennel of the outcome. This helps monitor which lines are more prone to having it show (if they are reputable breeders).

poor thing, I hope everything turns out okay.

lara's going to vet's

Thank you all for your replies I am going to phone the vet and make an appointment for her,I have also phoned the breeder that we got her from today to see if she knows if any of the other puppies are the same.She was shocked to hear about this but she said that three of the puppies lived near her and they were ok but she was going to see them to make sure and as asked me to phone her back to let her know,so thank you again and I do hope she is ok.
    julie

We'll be praying for Lara... I hope she's ok... Please keep us posted.

Hugs and kisses from me and MISSY!

good for you, prayers are on the way!

OK, here's another question on hip displacement...I hafta think a minute on how to word it...Can hip displasia be aggravated, say, by exercise??? Sometimes I am worried that my hubby might be a little too rambuctious with him, and have wondered if this may cause the hips to go out?? Or is it genetics only???

I thought that Lilly's limping was due to "growing"........I waited until she was 1 1/2 years old to have her seen by my vet for her constant limping. Turns out, that the poor girl was suffering from a mild case of Hip Dysplasia. He put her on some pain relief, and told me to get some weight off of her, which has been a constant battle, but, the good news is that Lilly hasn't limped since she lost about 15 pounds. She is a couch potato and I really, really have to watch her food intake. She will eat anything available.

She takes Glucosamine/Chondrointin supplements, eats good food (Innova Senior...although she is only 3 years old) and exercises regularly at my insistence. If it were up to Lilly, she would never get off the couch and would use a litter box!
    LOL!!! I'm so glad her condition doesn't require surgery at this time, but it is always out there as she gets older.

Best of luck to you and your pup. This is a huge issue with a lot of Goldens, mine included. Honey has no Hip problems, but she now has arthritis, and is only 3 1/2 years old. It seems that it is always something.

Logan

While the primary cause of hip dysplasia is genetics, there are things that do cause it to happen and aggrevate it that are not genetic.

A puppy who grows to fast can end up with hip problems. Usually this occurs in larger breeds. Injury is another reason for hip problems. As a general rule, I do not let my dogs (Golden Retrievers) jump until they are 2 years old. I see more and more where people get their dogs involved in agility and advanced obedience and jump the dogs over high jumps and broad jumps on a regular basis. The bone is still soft and pliable until they are around 2 years old so why are they doing this??? I try to tell people not to but they don't see the harm.

The OFA (orthepedic foundation for animals) will not certify a dog's hips until they are 2 for this very reason.

The other thing is puppies who grow to fast for their breed. Some dog manufacturers are now making large breed formula becuase they recognize the problems of giving too much fat content to larger dogs which makes them grow too fast. I personally take my dogs off the richer puppy foods at around 4 months. I am not saying that everyone should do this. Only dogs who are growing too fast and are extremely leggy. By getting them on an adult food (but giving them puppy rations) you are ensuring the essential nutrients but cutting back on the extra fat content.

In short to answer your question.... yes your husband may be playing too rough on the dog if he is putting undo stress on his hips in any way. If he is playing rough without putting stress on the hips then you are probably looking at a genetic thing. Genetics play a great deal with hip problems in addition to the injury or growing issues.